cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to protect an ADSL connection from lightening strikes?

N/A

Hi,
I have just had to help a friend who's x2 PC's where destroyed by a lightening strike (very rare & unusal event in computing terms I think?). The most worry part to this sad story was that the house was hit bye a lighting strike and the electrical surge came through the BT phoneline, hit the dialup modem and into the PC, the result was a dead box.

The question I now have is, (apart from the normal recommendations for surge & spike protectors & UPs devices placed into the domestic mains power supply to clean & smooth the supply)

Is there anything that one can use or do too protect a BT phoneline & ADSL always on connection from a similar lightening strike to a 24/7 connected system. Does anyone know of cost effect solutions that exsists that might offer some protection to (both or either) PC's & phonelines from such massive electrical damage?

Ivan
2 REPLIES
N/A

there's plenty of good quality surge strips with bt phone sockets built in the ends of them,
don't know how it might affect the adsl signal if its run through it but its worth a go.

here's one
http://www.insight.com/uk/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=BELUA03DGB
Voodoo
Dabbler

I use a Belkin Surge protection multi socket with surge protected BT phone sockets.

I run my ADSL line through it and its fine .......... not made any difference to my service.

Its coverd for something like a 55,000 Amp surge cost about £29 in PC World.

Peace of mind and worth the money