cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to check for latest version - any ideas?

N/A

How to check for latest version - any ideas?

Hello,

I wrote a program (using Delphi) which is used by quite a lot of people that I know nothing about. I should like them to be able to use the program to check my site to see if a new version has been released.

I am sure it should be pretty easy but I don't know where to start - I tried a crude methood that reads in all the HTML from the site and then I can wade through this looking for the version number - there surely must be a much better/more elegant way.

Any ideas please?

Thanks
Tim
7 REPLIES
N/A

RE: How to check for latest version - any ideas?

> methood

When ARE we going to be able to edit posts after we've posted them?!

Perhaps there should be an intermediate stage after composing the post, and seeing how it'll look, before committing it..

Or, perhaps, who cares about the spelling? Roll eyes

Tim
Community Veteran

> > methood
>
> When ARE we going to be able to edit posts after we've posted them?!
>
> Perhaps there should be an intermediate stage after composing the post, and seeing how it'll look, before committing it..
>
> Or, perhaps, who cares about the spelling? Roll eyes
>
> Tim

Tim

Can't help you with the Delphi question but I do like your idea of having the preveiw on a post before finally commiting it to the forum.
It should not be difficult to do as even one of my guestbooks has this ability.
Trouble is this is not the forum to get any action on this one.
You really need to put this idea to Plusnet on the main Plusnet forum.
If you keep chipping away at this like the 24hrs clock business you may get a result.
Good luck.
--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
N/A

John,

> Trouble is this is not the forum to get any action on this one.
Yes, you're right - I gather this one isn't monitored by PlusNet (but this was where I made the mistake!)?

> You really need to put this idea to Plusnet on the main Plusnet forum.
> If you keep chipping away at this like the 24hrs clock business you may get a result.
OK - we'll settle down to another prolonged chipping Smiley

Tim

N/A

A seperate text file, with no more than a datestamp and/or version number.

Datestamps can be automated, but need may become out of sync.

A version number won't go out of sync.

You could have a second file (a script though), that will accept a version number.

When a new version is detected, it queries the script, and displays the result in a text pain.

This text pain can include all the changes made since the version of the software he/she has, up to date.
N/A

> A seperate text file, with no more than a datestamp and/or version number.
>
> Datestamps can be automated, but need may become out of sync.
>
> A version number won't go out of sync.
>
> You could have a second file (a script though), that will accept a version number.
>
> When a new version is detected, it queries the script, and displays the result in a text pain.
>
> This text pain can include all the changes made since the version of the software he/she has, up to date.

Thanks, that's roughly what I was trying, my main problem is querying this file from the remote program - at the moment I have a one-line command in the program that is:
Response := IDHTTP1.Get'http://www.xxxx.com/version.html');

and I then wade through Response (which is a long string looking for the version number) but I'm sure there must be a way where I do something like

VersionNo := Something.Get('http://blah..', 'Version'); and this triggers a PHP (perhaps?) script somewhere to hand me back the string corresponding to Version...

Thanks again
Tim

N/A

I aint used the lanuage you talk of (I did read ity, but can't be bothered to go back and look at it's name, however I do know I don't know it).

Most lanugaes that provide some form of HTTP download ability, also provide multiple commands.

These range from setting up the socket parameters, qwuery strings and user agents, all the way to obtaining different parts of the request.

In the two lanugaes I use, the third party tools for HTTP, provide a command to do the download (instant, or delayed), and others to obtain the body, header and so on seperatly.

Check the documentation, and you may find your provides somthing simalar.
N/A

> Check the documentation, and you may find your provides somthing simalar.

Thanks