cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change the MTU - DSL-200

N/A

How to change the MTU - DSL-200

I hear that changing the MTU will hopefully address the connection rate, i claim the worst so far with a download connection rate to Plus nets test page of 51k. I bought a DSL-200 as it was the one that F9 described on the site, and assumed it would be ok, i also installed it according to the instructions, however i dont have a reference to MTU in my registry so i am totally confused as to how to change it. any suggestions?
12 REPLIES
N/A

RE: How to change the MTU - DSL-200

> I hear that changing the MTU will hopefully address the connection rate, i claim the worst so far with a download connection rate to Plus nets test page of 51k. I bought a DSL-200 as it was the one that F9 described on the site, and assumed it would be ok, i also installed it according to the instructions, however i dont have a reference to MTU in my registry so i am totally confused as to how to change it. any suggestions?

You can download a utility to do this for you from

http://www.dslreports.com/front/drtcp.html

It is recommended by f9 on their support page, and appears to work well, my speeds have increased since using it.
N/A

unfortunately I did download that, when i run it i dont get any details on current settings, so i then checked the registry and discovered that I didnt have the parameters in the first place?
N/A

> unfortunately I did download that, when i run it i dont get any details on current settings, so i then checked the registry and discovered that I didnt have the parameters in the first place?
>

I'm sure I read somewhere that if you're using a router you have to re-configure that (if possible, you can't with the BT router we've got at work), as the changes to your PC have no effect on the router itself.

I could be mistaken though.
N/A

But the DSL-200 is just an ADSL modem?
N/A

> But the DSL-200 is just an ADSL modem?

Hi Andrew,

If you need help with Drtcp or indeed any tweaking to get the best throughput via ADSL then I recommend taking a look at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/tweaks
Section 1 here answers queries about using Drtcp.
Use section 4 to determine your max MTU value to enter into Drtcp and save.
Reboot your system for the changes to become active in your registary.
Now go to http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks and run the Tweak Tester II. Do not use your connection whilst it is being tested.
When finished view your results. You will need to enter the service type = dsl, advertised connection speed = 512kbps (assuming you are subscribed to this package which is for the home user), enter your Operating system, Connection = pppoA. Then press the "recommend" button and view your results.
At the bottom of the left hand column will be the recommended RWIN value which you again need to enter into Drtcp (use the highest of the range) and save.
The results will also show you how many packets are being dropped and your transfer efficiency. The ping section may state that you are unpingable, don't worry about this as your firewall, if you have one, blocks this by default.

Now that you have entered the MTU (previously entered) and now the RWIN settings reboot for the changes to take effect and then run the Tweak Tester II again to check your results.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers
Geoff
--
Geoff Brown
N/A

RE: How to change the MTU - DSL-200 REPLY

Hi Andy,
Hello I have a DSL 200 USB Modem working with my ADSL F9 connection. You need to download the DrTCP tool from dslreports website. This tool will help you make the registry changes safely,F9 recommends that you change the MTU value (windows default value for MTU =1500)to 1458. I changed mine to 1453 and my connection is working great.

**I also highly recommend that you download the latest version of the DSL200 drivers,this did make a difference to the quality of my connection. Hope this helps. (YES!the DSL200 is a modem and NOT a router).

Regards
Ivan
--
N/A

Sorry my mistake, don't know where I got that idea from!
N/A

Hi Guys,

I feel i know you all after reading all your posts over the past few weeks,

I will get the latest drivers and see if that makes a difference, i do think my major issue is that i have not options on the dropsown box in the adaptor settings option on Drtcp.

So I cant change the MTU as it doesnt yet exist??

Ivan, when you select start>connect to> show all connections, is the connection you use under broadband or dial-up, mine is under the dial up group, as i said before this is where the default install put it is that right?

Thanks for all your advice guys, i just want to get this sorted before i have to give in to Bt Internet....

Andy,

N/A

> Hi Guys,
>
> I feel i know you all after reading all your posts over the past few weeks,
>
> I will get the latest drivers and see if that makes a difference, i do think my major issue is that i have not options on the dropsown box in the adaptor settings option on Drtcp.
>
> So I cant change the MTU as it doesnt yet exist??
>
> Ivan, when you select start>connect to> show all connections, is the connection you use under broadband or dial-up, mine is under the dial up group, as i said before this is where the default install put it is that right?
>
> Thanks for all your advice guys, i just want to get this sorted before i have to give in to Bt Internet....
>
> Andy,
>
>

Hi Andy,
Yes the connection is under the right place of dial-up.

I notice that you say there is nothing in the MTU box when using Drtcp. Are you allowed to enter type a value into that field and save?

For information my MTU setting are:

For Windows XP - MTU = 1458 and RWIN = 14180

For WIndows ME - MTU = 1483 and RWIN = 12987

If you can, type these values into the boxes in Drtcp and save then reboot your machine.

As I mentioned earlier there is a web site that provides information on using Drtcp at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/tweaks

There is also a tesing tool on the same site at http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks that will help you.

Cheers
Geoff

--
Geoff Brown
N/A

Hi Geoff,

I can enter values and save, it says it did it ok, but on rebooting the values are empty once more.

does anyone have the MTU option on a connection defined as dial up (see my previous comment) ?

I also wentto the D-Link web site to download the latest drivers, they seem to be a year older than the ones that came with it, I think i am fated to never see the fabled "10x times faster than 56k"

Cheers.

Andy.

N/A

> Hi Geoff,
>
> I can enter values and save, it says it did it ok, but on rebooting the values are empty once more.
>
> does anyone have the MTU option on a connection defined as dial up (see my previous comment) ?
>
> I also wentto the D-Link web site to download the latest drivers, they seem to be a year older than the ones that came with it, I think i am fated to never see the fabled "10x times faster than 56k"
>
> Cheers.
>
> Andy.
>
>

Hi Andy, I'm not sure why your setting setting get reset when you boot, they should remain in the registary.

What operating system are you using?
Are you using any "modem booster" style software?

And yes you do get the MTU option on a dial-up, well I do on my WIndows ME, Windows 2000 and Windows XP systems.

Cheers
Geoff
--
Geoff Brown
N/A

Hi Geoff/All,

I have now added the dial up MTU setting by hand and it seems faster, registering peaks up to almost 200 kbps, still can see the fabled 512, does anyone see this number, if so, can anyone tell me what you do to see it, download what from which site?

Any more ideas?