cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How old were u when u started gaming?

N/A

I couldn't believe it when I saw this footage of this kid (sorry I mean toddler) playing Gran Turismo!!! He does powerslides!

If the link doesn't work then go here
20 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

My boy was playing F1 2002 and colin burns rally when he was mid five and he wasnt bad either
of course it all had to be set to auto but i dont think that beats the toddler in this clip he looks like he`s about three or four

Bill.
N/A

5 or 6 years old. I am now 20 . The snes was ace back then
N/A

5 or 6 years old.

i was a similar age to you ,

but this was my wepon of choice, 16k.........nice

can anyone remember the screeching noise those beauties used to make while loading, awful
JonathanW
Grafter

I think I was around the same age as well, but my weapon of choice back then was this:

Then I made the jump onto a C-64.
N/A

can anyone remember the screeching noise those beauties used to make while loading, awful

Awful? No, the anticipation, the flickering screen, the cursing when it failed because the tape recorder heads were mucky...Doesn't anyone yet make a literal bathmat with this pattern?

16K? Aw, bless. 48K with Interface 1 and 2, two Microdrives and a speech synth I can't for the life of me remember the name of, in a proper full travel keyboard. Not to mention the Kensington joystick, and the C90's full of "backed up" software...

C64? Oh, he's one of them, eh... Some of us lusted after an Atari 800, and spent far too much time down the "unofficial" arcade, playing stand-up joys like Tempest and Space Duel (two-player co-operative, who do think I was, Billy No-mates?). It's not the same, sitting down...Wink I never could cope with Defender...

The SNES still is ace...particularly the ZSNES...and MAME. And there are several emulators for the oldies but goldies available.

(Gulp), I'm old enough to be your father...probably all of you...
holdtight
Grafter

but this was my wepon of choice, 16k.........nice

Tony ive still got one of them plus accessories and a ruck of games for it too all on the cassette tapes which was like the equavalent of owning an xbox 360 today cos as you know it was the height of technology at the time and yes i remember the noises it made and the time it took to do anything, awful......

Been a very long time since its been fired up but it does still work are they worth more than tuppence yet ??

Bill.
N/A

Then I made the jump onto a C-64.

commodore 64 *spits*

i stayed loyal to sinclair and upgraded to this beast,
built in tape deck and the lot

JonathanW
Grafter

C64? Oh, he's one of them, eh...

Hey, when you're a poor 8 year old computer junkie you get your fixes where ever you can. Tongue

But I also had an Atari 2600 as well. Ah, the joys of being able to load a game straight away without having to wait for ten minutes after which time the game might have loaded.
Community Veteran

I still have my C64 somewhere! It still works last time I tried it!

I also have Windows 3.1 Disks lying about! (where they called disks? the big floppy square things that primary schools use on their BBCs? I cant remember!)
N/A

The original "floppy " disks for computers were just that, floppy and bendy. Stop sniggering...:lol: If you think five and a quarter inch disks were big, imagine the earlier eight inch ones! No, even I'm not old enough to have seen them. I am old enough to have used an ACT Sirius computer, running MS-DOS 4 I think, with that and an application on one disk, and data on another disk. Two drives in the same system unit. Hey, it worked. Hard drives? Pah. Tightly coded applications. A 3D 3-point perspective visualisation program (I taught myself to use it, modesty is not my middle name), and Wordstar.

Not surprisingly, you had to really look after the real floppy disks because they were easily damaged. Along came Sony and invented the three and a half inch disk we know today. Hard shelled, and supposedly more durable. Windows 3.1 came sometimes with both sizes of disk in the box.
Community Veteran

oh i am sure i have an 8 incher lying about somewhere Cheesy
Discostoo
Grafter

I had an Atari 800XL, where you had to push...um..Star t and Option i think to load tapes.

My favourite game was called European Countries and Capitals. So much better than actually learning Geography in School...

Then i upgraded to C64. I loved Emlyn Hughes International Soccer.

Big Question is though...Amiga or ST??...
craigbrass
Grafter

Ah, an interesting topic. I started gaming back when the intial playstation came out (the christmas after it came out if I remember). First game was crash bandicoot. The good old days eh eh? Now it is more of a race to finish them in whatever condition they are when they need to start burning the games to disk for the release date. Look at Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness for example when Eidos rushed Core Design too much to finish it. They totally screwed it up compared to the previous games imo!
theharveyfamily
Grafter

When I were a lad, I had this bright orange box. It had two little boxes with knobs on.

You had a choice of two games :-

There was "Tennis", the two player game. Each player twisted the knob on their little box and the "bat" (just a white line) moved up and down on the screen and hit the "ball" (a white dot), the ball then moved slowly across the screen and the other player could then bat it back.

Then there was the one player game "squash". You had to hit the "ball" with your "bat" towards the wall, and when it bounced back, you had to hit it back again.

Oh what fun we had !!!!
Cry