cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many people download warez? What are your thoughts?

N/A

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on warez and how many people download and how many don't, wether it's the odd game or mp3 every now and then or constant 24/7 downloading.

I think we all do sometimes, I hate demos since you can't really test a game that way, so I do get a game every now and then and if it's replayable/worth the money I'll buy. If it's only playable once then why spend money on it when It's gonna be completed in 5 hours then collect dust for a year, pretty stupid.

My thoughts are that it is wrong. But for trying before buying it is ok.

MP3's are the same thing, you can listen to a sample and like it, but find the rest of the song is horrible, trying before buying.
5 REPLIES
N/A

Anyway one really going to answer this, considering it's their ISPs forum lol
Community Veteran

I know it does not work with games, but then personally I do not play games.

But rather than Warez, for programs. Look for open source alternatives, there is some great free open source programs out there.

For example OpenOffice http://www.openoffice.org/ really competes with Micro$oft office, with Micro$oft now being forced to follow OpenOffices lead with new features in Office 12.

The commercial software producers do not help themselves with over inflated prices; in some cases in the UK we are paying twice the US cost for the same software.

Chilly
N/A

Yea there are a lot of free alternatives for software, hell why buy Norton Antivirus which does nothing but annoy when you can use AVGFree which does all you need, scheduled updates, email scanning, scan on right click etc.

For games it is impossible to tell without playing it for more than a 5 minute demo stuck in one room, you need to play for a few hours get a feel for the game and decide if you like it or not, if so buy it, if not delete it.

Though demos are getting better recently and longer, like the toca race driver 2 demo made me buy it straight away, well done codemasters.
N/A

Yea there are a lot of free alternatives for software, hell why buy Norton Antivirus which does nothing but annoy when you can use AVGFree which does all you need, scheduled updates, email scanning, scan on right click etc.

My own personal view is that Norton is pretty poor and thus I would go for AVGFree given the choice between the two. However although AVGFree is good, it's free, so it's unlikely to be as good as NOD32 or Kaspersky. It depends on how worried you are about viruses etc.

Downloading software, music, films etc. without paying for them is theft, and while in the UK we are ripped off, it doesn't justify it.
Open source is certainly getting better, I mean I've all but switched away from windows, to Linux and everything I use on Linux is open source.

Chilly, Open Office is good but sadly its still a long way behind MS Office. It's the one reason I still have a copy of windows on my computer.
Community Veteran

I use open office at home and it does everything I need especially v2 although the last time I checked it was still in beta I rarely use 1.1.x any more and feel the database app is a great addition. I am planning to start using linux on my main PC very soon but will not be ditching windows just yet :-(. I don't like Miicrosoft products as I feel they are unreliable and un competitive, while MS office may still be a long way ahead of open office it is very expensive in comparison. Also in my opinion the only reason M$ introduced the improvents to IE in SP2 us because of the increased competition from firefox. When microsoft first entered the market they introduced competition, since then that competition has gone leaving them with a near monopoly situation. Their earlier products were vastly more reliable than more recent ones, I have a PC that has been running windows 3.1 for about 13 years now no problems whilst my main PC has had to be reformatted after 6 years which is extremly good apparently yet had less than half the time before any problems developed.