cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How loyal is Force 9 to it's users?

N/A

The music industry is moving in on file sharers. They want to stop people sharing MP3s. Would Force 9 release details of users, if requested, to allow the industry to punish file sharers?

:?:
2 REPLIES
N/A

I don't speak for Force9, but my answer would be that Force9 has to act within the bounds of the law, not on the basis of some perceived "loyalty". (Maxine Carr loyally covered for Ian Huntley, but look where that got her.) If you don't hold the copyright, or have the permission of the copyright holder to do so, you're not entitled to give files to other people.

Force9 will also expect its customers to operate their accounts within the bounds of law.

Whether that means they would release details of names, I don't know -- I expect there's a process the record companies would have to go through in the courts to secure the names, but if a court issued an order for Force9 to release the details, they'd have no choice but to comply.

The Plusnet staff have altered my website thread has shown that Force9 will act unilaterally to remove files it believes are in breach of copyright, but if the files are on your own machine, they won't be able to, of course.
N/A

If you check in force9.service.customer-feedback, there was a thread about this starting on the 18th March (here in the Usenet stuff. However, the bit at the bottom doesn't have all the replies so starting at this (correct at the moment) may be best...