Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get FTP to work

Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

How do I get FTP to work

Hi everyone,

I have reached the limit of my knowledge on website building and am asking for help.

I have a website hosted on Force 9. It all works well and unlike some am please with how simple it was to construct and set up Smiley .
I guess I 'cheated' by using a product called NetObjects Fusion 7 ( it was given away by a computer magazine) to develope and upload the site.

However I have reached my limit.
I need to set up a folder that outside users can FTP to and download some small files and help text.

I use and can offer installation and basic support for a GPL accounts package called Quasar Accounts. I have converted this to UK format and basic VAT etc.
I have a number of 'Howto' files and .html and .xml files I would like to make available to the Quasar WiKi site as links but just dont know how.

Anyone help on this?

Thanks, Colin.
3 REPLIES
N/A

File sharing & Access,Ivan

Hello Colin,

I think one way to achieve this might be to go to your website space using your FTP program, once connected with FTP under HTDOCS create a new folder and call it PUBLIC. Next place your files that you want others to have access to inside this public folder.

**The only question that Im not sure about is if a username or pass is still requied for this to work (not sure I'll be honest with you?).

You might need to change or adjust the folder permissions on the "public folder"(check with F9 support so they are accessible by any user, i.e. open access to anyone) But make sure other or higher folders on your site are set with tighter more restricted permissions to prevent users wandering around the rest of your website files/folders. You only want to give open access to all on your public folder alone.

Next other users should be able to access those files if you given them the correct URL to your public folder. So for example: http://www.mysite.co.uk/htdocs/public/file name.

Or another way to achieve more or less the same end might be to have an HTML page with download links to the files you want to share with others. This in some ways might even be more practical too? then all a user has too do is click on the download link.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

How do I get FTP to work

Thanks for your reply Ivan,

I like the sound of your second idea rather more than the first. People wandering about in my folders sounds a bit off to me Sad .

I'll have a look at the web site generator and see if there is an easy way of setting up download links.

Thanks again. Colin.
N/A

Creating Downloads Replying Ivan

Hello Colin,

Yes! I pretty much agree with you. The second idea just involves creating an ordinary HTML page, (say call it downloads etc). On the page when you setup download links, when creating links to the files you want to make available. Make sure in the link when you create it (them) you must make sure that you write in the precise path statement.

such as for example:
http://www.mydomainname.co.uk/htdocs/publicfiles/filename.exe (or)
http://www.mysite.f9.co.uk/htdocs/publicfiles/filename.exe

**if the link isnt exact the download wont start or work, the path syntax must be exact.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!