cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I format my hdd?

N/A

How do I format my hdd?

I've got windows me on my PC and I want to format the hdd and then reinstall Me. How should I go about doing this?
19 REPLIES
N/A

Replying on ME

Hi thefrostfamily,

First of all are you sure you really need to go as far as reformatting? secondly make sure you have the original windows ME installation disk/s to re-install from including the product key.

OK to reformat your HDD you can use the FDISK utility that usually comes with windows on the orginal disk. You use the this tool from a command prompt or DOS windows (Best to put windows ME into DOS mode if possible inorder to run FDISK.). If possible you could copy FDISK to a floppy and run it that way from A:\

FDISK allows you to delete your HDD Primary DOS or Primary FAT or FAT32 partition. Once this is deleted you would next need to create a new primary partition and after creation you need to format the new partition.

Once you have deleted, created new partition & formatted the HDD then you should be able to re-install Windows ME (ME will probably allow partitioning & formatting as part of the installation process anyway).

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
N/A

How do I format my hdd?

good advice there cyteck Smiley

I think its good to reformat every now and then - gives you a clean slate where you know everything works! I think your system can get clogged up with junk if you arent extremely careful, and it can be difficult if you dont quite know how how to get rid or even know what you are looking for! Just have to make sure you have the necessary drivers for **EVERYTHING** in your PC before you do it!!
N/A

Thanks!

Thanks for that. I'll try it this weekend.
N/A

How do I format my hdd?

NTFS and FAT32 are really not that good at keeping a filesystem intact. Formating is prolly the best option after a time, just to get rid of some bad indexes and restore some of the fragmented areas. Microsoft really need to start supporting a wider range of operating systems, there are a lot more out there which perform a lot better over a lot longer amount of time.

Still make me laugh they have been using the same bootloader for the last gawd knows how many years too
N/A

Looking after your disk DONT reformat Ivan

Hello Again,

Actually I dont recommend reformatting your hard disk drive on a regular basis as thats really NOT the best solution IMO. The best way is to avoid having to reformat your drive in the first place by looking after your HDD. Looking after and maintain the disk/s correctly is a better longer term solution IMO. What is required is a good quality disk defragmentation program which is run daily or atleast weekly. By doing this the disk and its indexes & MFT or file allocation tables & sectors & tracks remain as effiecent as possible.

A major headache is that Microsoft dont supply a good quality defragmentation tool with windows (especially from NT 3.1 upto XP), with NT4 you got zilch (no!) defragmentor and had to purchase a seperate program.

**Disk keeper defragmentor is OK but doesnt IMO give the best achievable results. http://www.lyonware.co.uk/Diskeeper.htm

**Perfect Disk (now in version 7.0) however is an excellent & highly recommended product that can and will make a difference to your system. if your interested heres a link to Raxco who make the product.

http://www.raxco.co.uk/

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
N/A

How do I format my hdd?

yeah that is true, and I personally take care with what I have on there and do my best to know exactly what is running on my system...

however supporting other peoples PCs I know that not many people do look after their hard drives at all, and wonder why their PC runs dog slow.

Reason: your windows partition is 90% full and you have 15 programs in the system tray doing bod all using resources.

The fact is that people install that much junk that installs spyware and god-knows what else that its just easier to reformat.

Personally the last reformat I did was when my raid array corrupted. Runs great otherwise, have partitions for different things and try to keep only windows and safe programs/games on my C: partitioin, and all the others can be literally jammed full and it doesnt make any difference to performance! keep it defragged and your windows partition below 50% full and ya'll be ok!

I personally think that NTFS does a great job at keeping files in order. FAT32 just not as nice imho.
N/A

Re: Looking after your disk DONT reformat Ivan

Actually I dont recommend reformatting your hard disk drive on a regular basis as thats really NOT the best solution IMO.

Ooh it is Wink

Top advice as ever Ivan, especially for the average user. It's just that, no matter how hard you try, windows just does cenerate cruft over time. Uninstallers leave DLL's lying around, desktops get covered in icons, ( and unused icon folders :roll: ), Start menus become too much, the registry gets bloated, you know the kind of thing. Regardless of how well organised you are performance and useability both start to suffer.

As you rightly said, good housekeeping mitigates these effects, but there's nothing so nice a formatted disk and a clean install. Everthing all nice and zippy, latest drivers only, lovely Cheesy

Always best to do it on a new disk though as there's always something you'll forget to back up, now what was that f%^£#&" password again, :roll: :lol:
N/A

Replying Ivan

Hi mattley,

NOP! sorry I still tend to disagree with you, if you have to reformatt your drive that often it the it goes to proove sloppy or careless use of the machine. IMO if you take good care of your machine & maintain it well such as regular degraging then reformatting should be a once ina blue moon event not a frequent event. Its only a matter of approach & opinion though, good practise verses poor practise.

Ivan

F9 FOL Forum Moderator
Your Forum, Make Your Voice Count!
N/A

Re: Replying Ivan

if you have to reformatt your drive that often it the it goes to proove sloppy or careless use of the machine.

but isn't that the way in this day and age?

Not saying it's right, but when we can all just D/L demos of this, plugins for that, and all the rest, cruft occurs and there really aren't tools to adequately deal with it that I've found.

When you say 'that often', my current install is about 18 months old and even though I'm pretty well organised, and carefull, the cruft is starting to show. For sure I *could* clean it up, but only up to a point, and IMO as I said, a clean install is just... well... nice.

I accept your point about sloppy and careless, but sometimes cool toys beckon, and you don't find out about crappy installers and the like until it's too late.

I don't dissagree with anything you've said, I just think that if you want to push the limits of what a modern machine can do you have to accept that you'll get caught out, and knowing that, and being prepared to reinstall your OS every now and again, is the best, if not the most practical option.

Cheers

Mattley Cheesy
N/A

Replying Ivan

Hi mattley,

I understand your view point I just dont share it. I havent had to re-install my copy of XP Pro since it was installed a number of years ago, its well over 18months ago now. As I said before I'm firmly of the opinion that care of use & good system management does pay good dividends in the long run. But each and too their own way I guess, if you're endlessly installing & uninstalling stuff without any regard to your system then there's really nothing more I can add I've said my bit as it where.

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
Your Forum, Make Your Voice Count!
N/A

Re: Replying Ivan

, if you're endlessly installing & uninstalling stuff without any regard to your system then there's really nothing more I can add

You're missing out.......

....... on a load of rubbish.

:lol: :lol:

but some of this cr*p is quite fun once but can drag a system down forever I know you're right, but I just can't resist, and neither can some of my clients, so I may as well know first hand :roll: Cheesy Shockedops: :twisted:

/mattley - wanders off, knowing he's wrong, shuffle shuffle.......
N/A

How do I format my hdd?

I agree with the maintaing your system etc, but if you arent going to have fun then wats the point?!

I only reinstall stuff when I have major system changes or a hard drive fault because it is a lot of hassle to get it how you want... but if I were to install something which made a mess, and I am careful about what I install, then its not the end of the world to reformat!!

Take the new ATi drivers for example, caused dreadful framerates on my system! To get that working I had to update .net framework before the drivers would work... if I couldn't have backed all that out and the old drivers re-instated then a reformat would have been in order.

Is reformatting really that bad?
N/A

How do I format my hdd?

I agree with the maintaing your system etc, but if you arent going to have fun then wats the point?!

... snip.....

Is reformatting really that bad?

Opinion differs Wink

I was thinking a bit more about this, and best practice would probably be to be prepared to do it at the drop of a hat anyway, as HDD failure becomes a lot less traumatic that way.

Cheesy
N/A

How do I format my hdd?

amen to that Wink