cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i 'turn off' my static IP address?

N/A

Is there any way I can turn off my static IP adress I receive as part of my ADSL package?
11 REPLIES
N/A

Nope. If you are worried about the rDNS of username.free-online.co.uk, then you can get it changed to be either

static_ip.free-online.co.uk
host.domain.ext (if Free-Online have the NS records for the domain and its hosted on your account)

The route for this is:

link:Contact Us then New Query and:
Technical Support >> Static IP / Reverse DNS Setup >> Change my Reverse DNS (PTR) configuration

and explain what you want.
N/A

To be honest i thought u were wrong on this one csogilvie but i've just been through the my connection setting and you can no longer change from a static IP but you did used to be able to.

To FOL: why isn't this possible any more? I'm quite happy with a static IP as it servers my needs but it is a security risk for ADSL users and some do not want this risk. I.E. hacked irc bots

Platty
N/A

As I understand it, ADSL users have never had a Static IP.
N/A

Considering I've had a static IP for over 2 years i'd like to contest that, since the day my adsl was installed i've had a static IP, and no i don't mean reverse DNS.

Current Status : You are now using a static IP address
Static IP: 212.56.101.**
Netmask: 255.255.255.255

That is from the connection settings part of the portal.

Last 2 digits removed from ip addy because of paranoia, lol

Platty
N/A

Damn... it really was a bad night last night!!

That post was meant to say "As I understand it, ADSL users have never had a dynmaic IP."
N/A

As far as i'm aware all adsl comes with a static ip addy, well mine did at least, but there was an option in "my Connection" to disable this and have a dynamic IP. It said if you disable static IP you will not recieve the same IP address if you decide to return to a static IP, or words to that effect, but the option was there.

Platty
N/A

I guess its been removed then... I know its possible on other account types to go back to Dynamic but not ADSL.
N/A

Thanks for your help guys, but I guess there is no way to go back to a dynamic IP then.
N/A

Yep - ADSL does not offer a Dynamic IP. I think it is/was being looked at though.
N/A

Ok, thanks for all your help with this anyway!
N/A

Surely, Colin / "csogilvie" was -- strictly speaking -- correct to say the address is dynamic, in that it is assigned by DHCP. A "static" address is one which is assigned manually without the use of DHCP.

RFC 2131[/url] para 1"]DHCP supports three mechanisms for IP address allocation. In "automatic allocation", DHCP assigns a permanent IP address to a client. In "dynamic allocation", DHCP assigns an IP address to a client for a limited period of time (or until the client explicitly relinquishes the address). In "manual allocation", a client's IP address is assigned by the network administrator, and DHCP is used simply to convey the assigned address to the client. A particular network will use one or more of these mechanisms, depending on the policies of the network administrator.

IE no such thing as "static assignment" in DHCP.

RFC 2131[/url] para 1.6"]
  • DHCP must coexist with statically configured, non-participating hosts and with existing network protocol implementations.

DHCP must:

• Retain DHCP client configuration across DHCP client reboot. A DHCP client should, whenever possible, be assigned the same configuration parameters (e.g., network address) in response to each request,

• Retain DHCP client configuration across server reboots, and, whenever possible, a DHCP client should be assigned the same configuration parameters despite restarts of the DHCP mechanism,

• Support fixed or permanent allocation of configuration parameters to specific clients.

Thus, examination of the DHCP RFC would indicate that rigorous (and therefore unambiguous) terminology is that a "static" address is one allocated outside of DHCP and a "fixed" or "permanent" address is one assigned through DHCP, but the same address is assigned to a given host each time.

So, your address is a dynamic but "fixed" address, I say, not a "static" one!