cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I try to see if 2Mb is stable on my line?

okmbok
Grafter

I have been upgraded to 1Mb connection but My stats are very close to ppl who have 2Mb? Can I get BT or F9 to switch me to 2Mb so I can test Line stability?
My 1Mb connection is rock solid.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1152 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 54 db 30.5 db
Noise Margin 18 db 29 db

PS. Bulldog say I should be able to get 2Mb.
6 REPLIES
deepfatfrier
Grafter

Which stats in particular? That downstream attenuation level (54dB) seems much too high for 2MB. I'm getting 45dB and people are saying I'm borderline... Sad
I believe the current limit for 2MB (correct me if I'm wrong, someone) is 43dB downstream, but I heard somewhere that BT would be relaxing those a little sometime soon.
How far are you from your exchange? (If you don't know, SamKnows might tell you.)
okmbok
Grafter

I am 1.58Km (direct only)
PS. The checker is out of date as I can get Bulldog now
N/A

Line problems Ivan

Hello okmbok,

Frankly the difference between 1MB ADSL line stability and 2MB ADSL line stability will be almost minimal from my experience. If your current BB connection or service IS stable then its likley to remain so. If your connection is stable now its very unlikley to be unstable at 2MB's, I think your worrying un-necessarily about this. 1.5Km direct line from the exchange is the same as myself and I upgraded recently from 512K ADSL home self install to F9 Broadband Premier 2MB service and my line remains rocksolid as ever it was before.

**No! F9 wont swap your service or speed temporarily so you can test your line.

**You could ask F9 support to perform a Whoosh test on your line but unless your having serious problems they probably wont want to do this as its time consuming. The whoosh test will test the line conditions for things like noise or signal to noise ratio's, line attenutaion etc. I doubt you will really need or benefit from this unless you do have an exceptionally noisy line though.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
N/A

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 14.6 30.0 dB
Line Attenuation 48.9 28.5 dB
Data Rate 2272 288 kbps

I get lots of CRC errors and the occasinal brief loss of signal (2 in the last 24 hours).

tbh I wouldnt know about these errors unless the router told me, except the loss of signal which hangs the connection for 5-10 secs until it reconnects... may be up to 30 secs tho. I am very borderline, dont know what it would be like if there was more loss :? Do hope you manage to get it though...
N/A

Line Adjustements Ivan

Hi Jarvis,

OK had a look at the stats you've posted and they look fine to me (mostly) as far as the noise levels go, your well within the margins for a 2MB connection which I'm told should be below 45db. Your exchnage distance in terms of direct line is also not an issue. The only thing I can see from your stats is the line attenuation figure of 48.9 for downstream or downlink might be abit on the higher side.

Nop! I have a hunch here that your problem might still be intermittent line noise levels, which just might be tipping the connection levels over that critical edge and the sync is lost. OK! so what might be worth trying is the following suggestion 1) Yes! it seems appropriate to ask F9 support to perform a whoosh test on your line to check or refute the stats you've already given.

2)Based on the outcome of the whoosh test it might be required that BT are asked to check your connection & also run some diagnostics on your line.

The reason I say this is that when I first had my new BT line activated & ADSL running I did experience quite a number of dropped connections. I was able back then to contact BT's DSL team and a very helpful BT engineer ran some line tests for me and the outcome was that he was abale to confirm a noisy phone line. The engineer then "balanced" my line, tweaked or adjusted the "gain" on my line which results in lowering the noise levels and hence no more dropped connections. So I'd like to suggest that if possible we try and get BT involved to run these tests for you and all you might need is some line tweaks or the gain adjusting. This is only my opinion based on past experience but I'm no telecoms expert. Cool I dont think you have much to loose at present from trying the above.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
deepfatfrier
Grafter

Re: Line problems Ivan

I am 1.58Km (direct only)

A line attenuation of 54dB seems very high for a line length that short :?
I'm 2.98km out and mine's only 45 or 46...

PS. The checker is out of date as I can get Bulldog now

Yeah, that checker is sometimes a little out of date. But the line length isn't likely to have changed, is it? :lol:

If your current BB connection or service IS stable then its likley to remain so. If your connection is stable now its very unlikley to be unstable at 2MB's

Overall that's true, but 54dB is quite a way outside the 2MB limits, isn't it? I'm not sure that figure's accurate, but if it is, okmbok should get hold of BT to get something done about it... Complain about a noisy phone line or something :twisted: