cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House alarms and ADSL line

N/A

I have a Gardtec 593 alarm and I would like to know how it can be wired into an ADSL activated telephone line? This is more complex than it seems.

Are there any alarm experts out there willing to offer help.

Also I need general advice on how to test and set up this alarm.Are there any Forums dealing with house alarms?
10 REPLIES
N/A

If the Alarm uses a simple modem as the connection, you would wire it the same as a phone. Look here http://users.plus.net/tutorials/?id=13
You will most probably have to get a BT plug fixed to the line of the Alarm, and then dael with it as if it were a phone (ie, using the correct placement of splitters and DSL filters)

Either way, you should contact the alarm supplier as any modifications, including rewiring of the phone connection, may invalidate the warrantee.
N/A

The problem is that the suppliers only deal with bona fide alarm installers and not the general public.

I have seen information (somewhere but I cannot remember where) that this data stream is incompatible with ADSL and that the line needs to be wired in such a way that the alarm will "take over the phone line" when it needs to transmit.

However I have no idea what this means or how to actually bring it about or what ther effect will be on the ADSL connection.The alarm has several terminals associated with the telephone connection but the usage is not clear.
N/A

I have re-read the tutorial on wiring ADSL and right at the bottom is a link relating to house alarms which confirms what you say BUT only for alarms which have been designed as compatible with ADSL.
N/A

A quick look at their site shows you can download installation manuals. However, you need a username and password to get them.
I assume you have asked them, and they have given you the brush off as a private individual.
That being the case, I would try going higher up in the organisation.
Community Veteran

Most alarms are ok if as said above they are hardwired into a modified splitter or fitted with a BT plug and go through that way.
If however its a redcare alarm (unusual for a home system) then it will not work with ADSL and will need a seperate phone line.

Chris
N/A

Redcare is now ADSL compatable.

New installs from mid last year have been compatable, and contacting your alarm company can help you with the process in getting a ADSL compatable conversion.
N/A

I have just received information from an installation company that the alarm must be wired into the telephone line in series with the rest of the telephone system.

This means that, when necessary, the alarm will take over the line and cut off the rest of the system. When the alarm has finished using the line the rest of the system will be re-enabled.

What effect will this have on the connection.Will the ADSL modem automatically re-connect?

many thanks
N/A

They say it should be wired in series, but it doesn't need to.

As they stated, series will allow the alarm to break any and all connections, with exception of anything connected to the master socket.

What you want to do now, will depend on the risk you are willing to take. It will also depend on what your Insurance company has to say.

Not following the instructions, can lead to the insurance company saying it is ineffective and of no use. If you have stated you have an alarm, this means in turn, that your insurance in null and void.
N/A

Many thanks acarr for the very useful help.

I have noticed that you are nearly always available for help on this forum - thats because I am impressed by the avatar.
N/A

Just to let you know i now have the alarm working OK. I set up the alarm to "intercept" the phone line when it needs to communicate with its base centre.

It seems that after a call I need to reboot the modem and computer before I can establish an ADSL connection. Still this is not too much of a bind as the calls made by the alarm should be few and far between, only (i) when there is a fault which occurs when the alarm is set or (ii) when the alarm has been tripped.

Cheers