cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House Alarms

Community Veteran

House Alarms

I've been looking into purchasing a new alarm system in my home.

There is an old one fitted, but it doesnt work (various faults) and we nolonger know the code and there is absolutly no information on google about it.

Basically Im looking to get a new one fitted and Im willing to pay for quality.

Im looking for at least 1 door sensor (to be fitted to a upvc door and at least 3 PIRs. I'd consider things like panic buttons and floor pads but they are not essential.

Does anyone have experience of wireless alarms, are they any good? I've always viewed them as being substandard, although not for any real reason.

Does anyone have experinece of phone line connected alarm systems (obviously it would have to be compatible with ADSL, which I know some are).

Any makes to avoid or anything recommended?
9 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

House Alarms

Used to have an alarm which dialled BT's alarm monitoring centre in the event of a breakin.
The problem is they treat all calls initially as false alarms, since most of them are.
So the thieves kicked the door in and set off the alarm.
The monitoring centre rang my phone.
I didn't answer cos I wasn't in.
They kept ringing for a couple of minutes, then got fed up with that and rang the "designated keyholder" who eventually answered, and by the time they had got there the thieves were well clear.

I suppose it saved the house being unattended for too long after the break in, but as far as I can see it wasn't any more use than a straightforward siren going off and gave me a false sense of security.

So I'm just on a straightforward siren now.
Can't advise on makes, though the industry discourages wireless ones as you can easily install them yourself and it does them out of business.

For the insurance discount, you need one installed by a NACOSS firm and checked every year. Mine's wired as it was built into the house, but if I replace it I'll use wireless. Far easier to add sensors to without digging up the walls.
Metalguru
Grafter

House Alarms

Your Local Police will have a Crime Prevention Officer (CPO) to provide you with the advice you require. Some will also visit / survey your house and recommend exactly what you need. All unbiased at no charge to you.

Try your constalbularies website in the first instance.

For South Yorkshire Police (Sheffield) start off here :-

http://www.southyorks.police.uk/departments/communitysafety/crimereduction/

IMHO if your house in more secure than the majority of others in your street, then you should be OK (I mean look at it from the burglars point of view).

*Note* CPO's are now called Crime Reduction Officers because some wag realised that you can never totally prevent crime. You just move it on somewhere else.
Community Veteran

House Alarms

lol nice change of wording then in that case.

Thanks for the help, I'll pick up more on all this at the weekend.

Chris
trexalan
Grafter

House Alarms

Ive got a monitored alarm, works fine with adsl, the monitoring company dont phone you on your house phone either, say you have a break in the alarm triggers (silently) there is a small speaker placed discreatly say in your hallway, this is where they monitor from, if it sounds to them like your being burgled they speak over the speaker asking who ever is in the house to identify themselves if they cant give a the correct password or dont answer, the police are called, soon as they here that there gonna be off (the speakers quite loud as well).If its a false alarm or they cant here anyone over the speaker they phone you on your mobile or a number you can be reached on, if your on holiday you have keyholders (close friends) they contact them. Also there is a fire alarm hardwired into the system, so its good alround peace of mind, (pritty hard to find these days).
If you have animals they have a different type of (pir) that dosent trigger the alarm (so they can roam)
Whats the cost your thinking?
Its not too bad, it cost me around £600.00 to have house & garage done, also about £50.00 per quater for monitoring, thats a tenner a month, whats it cost to keep a big dog.
It is second best to a big dog but its not bad all the same.

ps. Forgot, 12 monthly service & all parts & labour included for as long has your with them.
N/A

Re: House Alarms

Does anyone have experience of wireless alarms, are they any good? I've always viewed them as being substandard, although not for any real reason.

Hi Chris,

This may already be too late, as you may have gone and brought one.

I've have a wireless alarm, and I've had no problems with it at all. My only point about them is to ensure you keep a spare set of batteries, to ensure all the sensors are working. From memory they only transmit when there is a change in their status, so they don't use much battery power and the chance of false alarms is very low.

I've fitted quite a few alarms, and a point worthing bearing in mind, when placing PIR sensors, is to think about where the sunlight comes in. Early morning sun can cause false alarms. So In rooms which recieve a lot of sun light, make sure the sensor is not in a corner facing the window.

Finally much like a car alarm it can annoy people, I would keep any external sirens down to a max of 5 mins (if you can), otherwise if it goes off when your not there and doesn't turn off for 20 mins (max legal limit) you may have some p**sed off neighbours.
Rich
Grafter

House Alarms

A tip - block any holes into th PIRs with silicone - that way spiders can't get in!

We were having a problem with false alarms until I realised that there was a spider inside a PIR - the little b***** was hiding behind the circuit board - but It soon succumbed to the hoover!
N/A

House Alarms

My dad is the CPO For west yorkshire, so if you want some advice give me a PM!
Community Veteran

House Alarms

A tip - block any holes into th PIRs with silicone - that way spiders can't get in!

Yep same thing with ants as well. :?

Took me ages to find why the PIR kept causing an alarm in the night. Came down one night after being arroused by the bell clanging outside and spotted the little blighters marching in and out via the cable entry.

In my case a dose of ant powder cleared tham off Smiley
Community Veteran

House Alarms

Thanks for the advice guys, Im not in a massive rush to purchase one, it willb probably be a few weeks away yet.

Chris