It's free so maybe worth a quick try

Regards

Ian
6 REPLIES
OshB5
Grafter

Hope its right fourum

hello
How would I go about connecting to my comp at home when I am at another location Pls. If there is any FAQ or any ting i would be much obliged at a push in the right direction thanks..

Andy
orrery
Grafter

Hope its right fourum

You could download UltraVNC for free, which allows you to take control of a remote PC.

regards, Ian
orrery
Grafter

Hope its right fourum

Andy,

Looking at your location, not an ER fan then?

regards, Ian
N/A

Remote Access Methods

Hello Andy,

Bear in mind that when connecting to another computer remotely that the type and speed of connection does & will make a big difference. So if your on a 56K modem dialup connection over a phoneline then it will even under good conditions be on the slow side, if your on a broadband (almost always on) type connection then doing things remotely will more than likely be much quicker.

**There are several methods for making remote connections, you can use remote access software such as PCAnywhere or Tight or UltraTight VNC. This normally requires that you have the same software installed on each machine (i.e. at both ends of the connection, such as home office & work office).

Some employers allow their staff to work from home for the occational day & in this case people like this might use VPN (Virtual Private Networks) to form a secure connection over the internet to their company network/s and gain access to email or synchronise their Outlook calenders or access customer information from a database on their company server/s.

Some people & companies use another method called terminal server, in which the company runs a terminal server and the home user becomes a terminal server client and you would be able to connect to your office system that way, again this normally allows the company IT dept to setup a secure system.

**I would imagine though in your case that remote access software like VNC or PCAnywhere would be your initial choice with perhaps VPN's coming a close second.

Ivan
OshB5
Grafter

Hope its right fourum

Hello
Thanks for the answer, funny you should say that as I have just got a legit copy of PC anywhere and was thinking what it was for LOL. will give it a trytthanks...
You see I was thinking along the lines of accessing my comp at home via the ip address from f9 and then by the router ip to the comp i wanted ,dont know why. just thorght that was the way you did it as you do on the home network. Thick I hear you say , never mind.
BTW It would be over BB as I leave two of th ePC's on constantly at home and when I go away I either have the laptop or pda which both have 54g wireless cards in. And i have a BT openzone account to connect to. so it would be BB to BB as near as poss..
regards Andy
Only prob is the PDA and s/w to use with it?
N/A

Remote Access PCAnywhere

Hello Acswain,

PCAnywhere is a very good program and is well tried & tested, I've used it myself a few times. OK!! with a BB connection then speed of connection wont be an issue and you should find remote access reasonably quick.

**Remember you have to have PCAnywhere on both machines.

**If my memory serves me one machine (and copy of PCAnywhere) acts as a host machine (server or outbound connection) and the other a client (the machine that receives the connection, inbound connection).

**With PCAnywhere I seem to remember you can configure the connection via hostnames or IP address.

**PDA's I dont use so cannot offer any comment on those.

Ivan