cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home network router advice please

N/A

Home network router advice please

I have bought a second PC for home use (the kids!) I want it to share the adsl connection.

The first PC has the self install Dynamode A220 PCI adsl modem in use.

Can anyone recommend a router/set-up that will work with it please?
--
Andy Page
Weston-super-Mare
8 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Home network router advice please

> I have bought a second PC for home use (the kids!) I want it to share the adsl connection.
>
> The first PC has the self install Dynamode A220 PCI adsl modem in use.
>
> Can anyone recommend a router/set-up that will work with it please?
>
> --
> Andy Page
> Weston-super-Mare

Hi Andy,
You dont have to have a router to achieve your goal but the scenaro I am outlining is a more simple design than some home networking systems.

You could look at Internet Connection sharing, now I dont know if you have looked at this option. It became available I beleive with windows98 and all windows after that. The current windowsXP make ICS very much easier and certainly x2 PC can share x1 ADSL connection without any problems.

If you go down the full ADSL Router path for a home network then I have to say life does get more complete technically. You will need to know a reasonable amount (or learn about)TCP/IP and network protocols & how they work,security issues & ports,IP address schemes,etc.

Ivan

--
N/A

> I have bought a second PC for home use (the kids!) I want it to share the adsl connection.
>
> The first PC has the self install Dynamode A220 PCI adsl modem in use.
>
> Can anyone recommend a router/set-up that will work with it please?
>
> --
> Andy Page
> Weston-super-Mare

Further comments,
Some people really favour (like)the ADSL router path to home networking but in my opinion its not any easy option due to the technical knowledge required (its fine if your an experienced computer user). I guess on the positive side of things a router does provide more security options such as NAT's (network address translation)most routers have this now.

If your looking for a good router for your home networking have a look at the D-Link website they do a range of very good ADSL products. Whats more D-link products seem to come with very high quality documentation which is valuable, also I find there products are reasonably priced too.

either http://www.dlink.com
or
http://www.dlink.co.uk

Ivan

--
N/A

> > I have bought a second PC for home use (the kids!) I want it to share the adsl connection.
> Some people really favour (like)the ADSL router path

I'm one of these people. However, you could take a phased approach, so as to spread the cost across a longer time period.

If, initially, you adopt the ICS approach suggested by Ivan, you will need an Ethernet adaptor for each of your PCs. These can be picked up pretty cheaply these days. My advice is to buy 100 Mbps adaptors. You will either need a network hub or switch to allow you to connect your two PCs, or (acceptable in the short-term) use a length of cross-over network cable to connect the two PCs directly (no hub or switch). In this ICS configuration, the PC with the ADSL card will act as the "gateway" to the Internet, and will therefore need to be up if the other PC is to have Internet access.

In the longer term, you can purchase an ADSL router. Most now have small built-in switches (usually four ports, allowing up to four PCs to be connected, or even more PCs via an external hub or switch) so rather than connecting the PCs directly, they will then connect via the ADSL router. Once this is working, you could either remove the ADSL card from the first PC, or leave it there for use in the event of problems with the router. This configuration provides independent Internet access to each PC (you don't need any particular one to be up for the other to have access).
N/A

> > > I have bought a second PC for home use (the kids!) I want it to share the adsl connection.
> > Some people really favour (like)the ADSL router path
>
> I'm one of these people. However, you could take a phased approach, so as to spread the cost across a longer time period.
>
> If, initially, you adopt the ICS approach suggested by Ivan, you will need an Ethernet adaptor for each of your PCs. These can be picked up pretty cheaply these days. My advice is to buy 100 Mbps adaptors. You will either need a network hub or switch to allow you to connect your two PCs, or (acceptable in the short-term) use a length of cross-over network cable to connect the two PCs directly (no hub or switch). In this ICS configuration, the PC with the ADSL card will act as the "gateway" to the Internet, and will therefore need to be up if the other PC is to have Internet access.
>
> In the longer term, you can purchase an ADSL router. Most now have small built-in switches (usually four ports, allowing up to four PCs to be connected, or even more PCs via an external hub or switch) so rather than connecting the PCs directly, they will then connect via the ADSL router. Once this is working, you could either remove the ADSL card from the first PC, or leave it there for use in the event of problems with the router. This configuration provides independent Internet access to each PC (you don't need any particular one to be up for the other to have access).

While we're on subject of routers, I too have a new PC, the setup I now have is 3 PCs in the home. 1 and only 1 is connected to ADSL.

What I'm looking at is the DSL-504 (D-Link) router, however a few points spring to mind with the setup I'm looking at.

PC 1 (Server) - This will deal with my web-pages and such, which tie in to my homepages on F9, also allows me to do my development work on as it's Linux. However, would I need a firewall if I were to purchase the DSL-504? If so, rather than install/configure a firewall on a server, can anyone suggest a good firewalling router?

PC 2 (My workstation) will link to a hub on the LAN, however if I go for a router, would that work like a hub for a small LAN or would I still need a little 4-port hub?

PC 3 (Parents) they'd be linked straight into the hub (if router doesn't do what a hub does), nothing special here.

The plan I have in mind is to link all PCs via an internal LAN, using a little 4-port hub, and link that hub directly to the router. However, does the router (or could it) act like a Hub AND Router or would I need seperate hardware for this?

Secondly, can you recommend a good firewalling router, I'm looking at the DSL-504 for this, any thoughts? I'd rather not install Firewalling on the Server if I can avoid it.

Any thoughts anyone?
N/A

> > > > I have bought a second PC for home use (the kids!) I want it to share the adsl connection.
> > > Some people really favour (like)the ADSL router path
> >
> > I'm one of these people. However, you could take a phased approach, so as to spread the cost across a longer time period.
> >
> > If, initially, you adopt the ICS approach suggested by Ivan, you will need an Ethernet adaptor for each of your PCs. These can be picked up pretty cheaply these days. My advice is to buy 100 Mbps adaptors. You will either need a network hub or switch to allow you to connect your two PCs, or (acceptable in the short-term) use a length of cross-over network cable to connect the two PCs directly (no hub or switch). In this ICS configuration, the PC with the ADSL card will act as the "gateway" to the Internet, and will therefore need to be up if the other PC is to have Internet access.
> >
> > In the longer term, you can purchase an ADSL router. Most now have small built-in switches (usually four ports, allowing up to four PCs to be connected, or even more PCs via an external hub or switch) so rather than connecting the PCs directly, they will then connect via the ADSL router. Once this is working, you could either remove the ADSL card from the first PC, or leave it there for use in the event of problems with the router. This configuration provides independent Internet access to each PC (you don't need any particular one to be up for the other to have access).
>
> While we're on subject of routers, I too have a new PC, the setup I now have is 3 PCs in the home. 1 and only 1 is connected to ADSL.
>
> What I'm looking at is the DSL-504 (D-Link) router, however a few points spring to mind with the setup I'm looking at.
>
> PC 1 (Server) - This will deal with my web-pages and such, which tie in to my homepages on F9, also allows me to do my development work on as it's Linux. However, would I need a firewall if I were to purchase the DSL-504? If so, rather than install/configure a firewall on a server, can anyone suggest a good firewalling router?
>
> PC 2 (My workstation) will link to a hub on the LAN, however if I go for a router, would that work like a hub for a small LAN or would I still need a little 4-port hub?
>
> PC 3 (Parents) they'd be linked straight into the hub (if router doesn't do what a hub does), nothing special here.
>
> The plan I have in mind is to link all PCs via an internal LAN, using a little 4-port hub, and link that hub directly to the router. However, does the router (or could it) act like a Hub AND Router or would I need seperate hardware for this?
>
> Secondly, can you recommend a good firewalling router, I'm looking at the DSL-504 for this, any thoughts? I'd rather not install Firewalling on the Server if I can avoid it.
>
> Any thoughts anyone?

I have the Dlink DSL-504 router.
It does indeed have a 4-port switch built in, so no need for a hub unless you intend to connect more than 4 PC's.

Setting one up as a web server should be fine, although you'll have to set up port redirecting (not sure if you knew this or not, so I thought I'd mention it).

As far as firewall's go the DSL-504 doesn't have an inbuilt firewall. It does have packet filtering though, which might surfice depending on what you are looking for. Although in my experience it is harder to configure than most software firewalls/packet filters.

Considering the price I think it's ok, although you may well be able to get a better one at a similar price now (I got mine a few months ago now). When I was looking around I found a few NetGear one's that looked better but were slightly more pricey.
N/A

> I have the Dlink DSL-504 router.
> It does indeed have a 4-port switch built in, so no need for a hub unless you intend to connect more than 4 PC's.
>
> Setting one up as a web server should be fine, although you'll have to set up port redirecting (not sure if you knew this or not, so I thought I'd mention it).
>
> As far as firewall's go the DSL-504 doesn't have an inbuilt firewall. It does have packet filtering though, which might surfice depending on what you are looking for. Although in my experience it is harder to configure than most software firewalls/packet filters.
>
> Considering the price I think it's ok, although you may well be able to get a better one at a similar price now (I got mine a few months ago now). When I was looking around I found a few NetGear one's that looked better but were slightly more pricey.

Thanks for that info, pricey doesn't bother me too much, I'd rather have security for my LAN (ok, it's a home LAN but I do a lot of development work at home for various places as a hobby and I'd like to secure my server and all systems in my LAN against any kind of unwanted intrusion. I was under the impression that a firewalling router would do this. I can, if I ABSOLUTELY HAVE-TO, install firewall software on the main server but I'd rather just keep that as simple as possible and leave firewall up to my router/network hardware. Anyone have any other routers out there that are good with firewall/security-type issues and aren't too hefty on price?

Thanks again Smiley
N/A

There are now quite a few router devices on the market that offer multi-functions. Typical combinations include some of the following:

- Router ADSL modem and ethernet interfaces
(typically provides DHCP (automatic IP address assignment), DNS proxy, NAT (Network Address Translation))
- ISDN or PSTN backup if ADSL fails
- ethernet hub or switch (typically 4 port)
- firewall
- Wireless Access Point
- Printer server
- VPN pass through
- VPN server
- UPnP - Universal Plug and Play - automatic support for Instant Messaging and other applications

On the firewall front, to be secure, then you'd probably want to have a filtering and stateful packet inspection firewall that supports NAT and port redirection.

I suggest you make a 'shopping list' of functions, then look at products from the likes of:

Draytek (the Vigor 2600 series) http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2600.html
SMC (Barricade 74xx series) http://www.smc-europe.com
DLink (DSL-50x / DSL-504) http://www.dlink.co.uk
NetGear (DG 8xx) http://www.netgear.co.uk
ZyXEL (Prestige 650H Series) http://www.zyxel.co.uk
Solwise (SAR715 series) http://www.solwise.co.uk/modems.htm

There are many different ADSL routers available, at widely ranging prices (including a 20 quid one from http://www.ebuyer.com), so figure out what you want, look at the manufacturers sites, then shop around for the best price.

What do I use you might ask - well in truth, I don't at the moment, but I would like either a Draytek Vigor 2600We or Solwise SAR715PV-W (both wireless ADSL routers, 4 port switch, Wireless access point, VPN server, firewall) - unfortunately, neither yet the new wireless 802.11g / 54g non-standard standard!

Also until my ISDN is converted to PSTN and ADSL is proven to work (roll on May 7th!) I'll have to wait to place an order. In the meantime, I have gone for the F9 router starter pack that comes with a Solwise SAR110 router.

Regards

Neil

>
> Thanks for that info, pricey doesn't bother me too much, I'd rather have security for my LAN (ok, it's a home LAN but I do a lot of development work at home for various places as a hobby and I'd like to secure my server and all systems in my LAN against any kind of unwanted intrusion. I was under the impression that a firewalling router would do this. I can, if I ABSOLUTELY HAVE-TO, install firewall software on the main server but I'd rather just keep that as simple as possible and leave firewall up to my router/network hardware. Anyone have any other routers out there that are good with firewall/security-type issues and aren't too hefty on price?
>
N/A

> There are now quite a few router devices on the market that offer multi-functions. Typical combinations include some of the following:
>
> - Router ADSL modem and ethernet interfaces
> (typically provides DHCP (automatic IP address assignment), DNS proxy, NAT (Network Address Translation))
> - ISDN or PSTN backup if ADSL fails
> - ethernet hub or switch (typically 4 port)
> - firewall
> - Wireless Access Point
> - Printer server
> - VPN pass through
> - VPN server
> - UPnP - Universal Plug and Play - automatic support for Instant Messaging and other applications
>
>
> On the firewall front, to be secure, then you'd probably want to have a filtering and stateful packet inspection firewall that supports NAT and port redirection.
>
> I suggest you make a 'shopping list' of functions, then look at products from the likes of:
>
> Draytek (the Vigor 2600 series) http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2600.html
> SMC (Barricade 74xx series) http://www.smc-europe.com
> DLink (DSL-50x / DSL-504) http://www.dlink.co.uk
> NetGear (DG 8xx) http://www.netgear.co.uk
> ZyXEL (Prestige 650H Series) http://www.zyxel.co.uk
> Solwise (SAR715 series) http://www.solwise.co.uk/modems.htm
>
> There are many different ADSL routers available, at widely ranging prices (including a 20 quid one from http://www.ebuyer.com), so figure out what you want, look at the manufacturers sites, then shop around for the best price.
>
> What do I use you might ask - well in truth, I don't at the moment, but I would like either a Draytek Vigor 2600We or Solwise SAR715PV-W (both wireless ADSL routers, 4 port switch, Wireless access point, VPN server, firewall) - unfortunately, neither yet the new wireless 802.11g / 54g non-standard standard!
>
> Also until my ISDN is converted to PSTN and ADSL is proven to work (roll on May 7th!) I'll have to wait to place an order. In the meantime, I have gone for the F9 router starter pack that comes with a Solwise SAR110 router.
>
> Regards
>
> Neil
>
> >
> > Thanks for that info, pricey doesn't bother me too much, I'd rather have security for my LAN (ok, it's a home LAN but I do a lot of development work at home for various places as a hobby and I'd like to secure my server and all systems in my LAN against any kind of unwanted intrusion. I was under the impression that a firewalling router would do this. I can, if I ABSOLUTELY HAVE-TO, install firewall software on the main server but I'd rather just keep that as simple as possible and leave firewall up to my router/network hardware. Anyone have any other routers out there that are good with firewall/security-type issues and aren't too hefty on price?
> >
>

Of course if you go with wireless networking you need to bare in mind the security implications of this. Mainly people within you wireless access point radius connecting to your network and possible to the internet via it. Although I've not used one, so I'm not sure if they have any features that reliably stop this.