cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Mail Server

N/A

Home Mail Server

I have a webserver running off my FOL BB connection which runs several named vhosts serving several domains which are hosted by 123-reg.

The websites work well and have been running for a considerable time now without any hitch. I want to change the way one of the websites works and provide an email form which would, of course, be dependant on sendmail.

As such I want to set up sendmail on my linux server to run along side apache and allow me to use sendmail on my websites.

I know I can't run an open-relay as this is against FOL's T&Cs but is it possible to configure sendmail to run as a closed host that will allow only apache running on 'localhost' to mail out mail that appears to come from my domain?

(I don't want to use it to collect mail and I only want localhost to be able to mail out if possible).

If it is, can anyone point me in the direction of an easy to understand sendmail setup guide?
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Home Mail Server

After a lot of fiddling I've got Postfix to do this and I can send mail both using a perl script from the command line and also using a php ina webpage. Cheesy

According to the Postfix documentation my server should be configured as a closed relay (ie will only relay mail sent to it by localhost). As addtional security port 25 (SMTP) is blocked on my router for incoming traffic so that should stop anyone trying to bounce mail via my IP address as they shouldn't be able to see that the mail server exists.

Does anyone know how I can test to prove that my mail server is indeed not functioning as an open relay? And therefore does not breech FOL's T&Cs?

Any ideas most welcome either on thread or PM.

Thanks in advance,

Gavin.
mylittleduck

Home Mail Server

Hi,
Try the following link:

http://www.abuse.net/relay.html

I've used them before. Seems to work quite well.

Dave
N/A

Thanks mylittleduck,

The test showed "Failed: Unable to connect".

Am I right to thiink that this means I'm safe and that my machine is not acting as an open relay?

Thanks,

Gavin.
mylittleduck

Home Mail Server

You said that you'd blocked incoming traffic to port 25.

The 'unable to connect' error message seems to confirm that it is indeed blocked. If the outside world can't connect to your mail server, then they can't use it as open relay.

Therefore, I'd say you were safe.

Hope that helps

Dave
N/A

Thanks for your help, Dave.

It seems to be functioning perfectly well from this end and certainly seems not to be responding to the outside world which seems as far as I can see to fall in with FOL's T&Cs.

At last. Cheesy