cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home FTP Server

N/A

Home FTP Server

How do i go about setting up my own ftp server. I am connected to a router for internet access and can seem to get my ftp server running so people can see it. They can ping me fine but can connect. Any help with this would be great.
4 REPLIES
N/A

Home FTP Server

has your router got a built in firewall?
is your ftp on a static ip (not your adsl, is your router/pc on dhcp)?
Have you temporarily put your pc in the DMZ of your router to see if they can connect afterwards?

Platty
N/A

Home FTP Server

I assume the ping is being returned by your router, not by your intended ftp server. The most likely cause is the rule you've set up on the router to forward ftp traffic to the server - have you confirmed that the external port you've opened is the one your users are trying to connect on, that it's being forwarded to the correct internal IP, and that traffic is being forwarded on the internal port that your ftp server is running on?

It's also possible that there are settings on the ftp server which may need amending. What OS is running on the server?

As a side issue, from a security point of view it's probably wise to disable acknowledgement of ping requests in your router, and to use an external ftp port other than the default one.

Peter
N/A

FTP server Ivan

Hello,

Just an additional thought (comment), on your FTP server have you checked that you have setup the correct folder/file permissions that allow inbound access to users. By this I mean set folder permissions,setup either annonymous user access or setup username & password for access to your FTP server.

**Also a default startup folder such as FOL have, they have HTDOCS as the starting folder & other folders are added below this.

**Having a startup folder and setting tight folder permissions is important as you DONT want to leave your FTP server or home server wide open for external users to pilage at will (hack you). The startup folder is often setup so as external users cannot explorer or go high than this i.e. the ftp server is locked down in this sense (keeping access tight).

**Yes! its essential that your router allows external FTP connections to pass through your router, this requires a specific FTP port to be openned as others have mentioned. If this port isnt openned then external users wont be able to connect to the FTP server or startup folder you've setup.

Ivan
N/A

Home FTP Server

Thanks for the info...will try when i get home and check my router etc.