cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hollywood / Prague

LiamM
Grafter

Hollywood / Prague

Very coincidental you say that since im just on my way back from six flags magic mountain now. On a coach. Absolutely fantastic.

Where in LA did you go? Were actually in the centre of Hollywood, virtually on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame and near Sunset Boulevard. Its very nice around where we are, but i beleve thats mainly due to the fact that the Oscars have recently been moved to the Kodak theatre there.
16 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Hollywood / Prague

I'm off from 25th March to Hollywood, LA and immediately after I get back (i.e. Next Day) I'm off to Prague, Czech Republic...

Just wandering if anyone had been to either of these places and recommend any good places to visit, eat, drink etc... things I must see etc...

I must say, I am ratheeer excited!
Community Veteran

Hollywood / Prague

Out of interest, why are you going so soon after your first trip?
LiamM
Grafter

Hollywood / Prague

I am a student and thus limited to the two weeks during Easter to which to go away. Also, Hollywood has been planned for a long long time - few weeks ago myself and a load of mates decided we would like to go to Prague, so we arranged that also.

I get back from Hollywood into Heathrow on the Saturday evening, and I fly to Prague, from Bristol on the Sunday Morning :S
N/A

Hollywood / Prague

ive never been to either.. but im so envious!!!

my uncle used to live in the hollywood hills next door to rod stewart in the 80's! lol....

just have a great time and enjoy the holidays... Smiley
LiamM
Grafter

Hollywood / Prague

Many Thanks, I'm sure I will have great fun!
channel
Grafter

Hollywood / Prague

Went to Prague 18 months ago. Wine, women and song are plentiful.

When I went there we made the mistake of changing money before we went (got 55Cr/£) but when we were there you could change for 65Cr/£. Not sure if this has changed now they are in the EU, but might be worth hedging your bets.

If you are planning on crossing the river and going up to the castle, then it is best done on days other than Saturday/Sunday, if possible, as there are lots of Germans there on daytrips at the weekend and it gets very busy.

We had a fun hour or two in the pedalos in the river, if that's your thing.
LiamM
Grafter

Hollywood / Prague

Yeh I think I'll have a go at the Pedalo's.

Rents went to Prague a few weeks ago and recommended the castle. I'm going Mon-Fri so that shouldn't be a problem.

I usually just take me cashcard and get money from the ATMs, it's not that expensive that way and saves carrying around huge quantities of cash (obviously I'll take some!)
margin_walker
Grafter

Prague

Hello!

Prague is amazing, the best city I have been to (and I've been to a few!). My fiancee and I were so taken by the Czech Republic we're going back in a few weeks for another 5 days, and decided to get married there in December 2005 so we have things to sort out whilst we're there in a few weeks.

Places to see - there's too many to list. Basically every street you walk down has some form of stunning architecture, nice view, lovely bar, cheap restaurant or shop selling crystal glass (!). Definitely take a walking tour (there's lots to choose from and they all start from the clock tower in the old town square - look for people wearing orange and carrying orange umbrellas). We went on 4 walking tours last September, one lasted 6 hours and we saw the whole city in this time, it included an hour on a boat and a sit-down medieval meal (so you weren't literally on your feet for 6 hours!) We did this on day one so we knew where we would like to go for the rest of the break. Most of the walking tours last around 90 minutes, the Velvet Revolution tour is great if you want to learn about how the Czech Republic was during communism, how communism fell (the Velvet Revolution) and what life was like after its fall. If you like history you'll love Prague.

Find a bar called "Bloody Freddy's" (that got censored, it's the red life-sustaining juice you have in your veins and it rhymes with "floody") and order the absinthe special - blows your blooming head off (involves lots of sugar, fire and drinking straws). The street it's on is called Vejvodova 6, just off the old town square. Drinks and food in the old town square are a rip-off and if you walk for a minute down any street off the square they suddenly become two thirds cheaper!

Also, if you get a taxi from the airport make sure it's a silver VW (Passats I think) because these have set charges and are the only ones who don't rip you off. It takes about 30 minutes to get the central Prague from the airport, and if you're a nervous driver/passenger close your eyes because we had 2 emergency stops and near collisions in the space of 5 minutes. Luckily I used to rally drive and I was sat in the front being my usual un-nervous self but people in the back of the car were pooing themselves.

Changing money in Prague is a lot more economical, you get a much better exchange rate there (unless you do it in a hotel!). Some shops accept Euros but unless your hotel/accommodation has specifically asked for payment in Euros I wouldn't bother taking any.

The cafe's and bars around the old town square are expensive (toursit rates) as are the Irish pubs (why anybody would go to Prague and sit in an Irish/English pub is beyond me!), but generally it is a cheap place. Clothes aren't cheap so don't go there to shop, but food and drink is. I found a typical 3-course meal in a nice restaurant was £5 a head, this included drinks! Go to the local bars and you can get local beer (very nice) for 45p per pint, and a great main course for about £2 to £2.50.

Have fun! If you have any questions let me know.

PS: Anybody want to buy a 1999 Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000 AWD for £6995?! LOL! It's my second car and I'm very sadly selling it to pay for the wedding etc. FSH, excellent condition, scary fast, let me know. :roll:
N/A

Re: Prague

Yep I know quite a few people who've been to prague and loved it, I'm hoping to go there soon.

if you're a nervous driver/passenger close your eyes because we had 2 emergency stops and near collisions in the space of 5 minutes.

You should try driving in Morocco :lol: , forget rules, forget highway code, and just believe that if anything happens, it was God's (Allah) will. While I was driving down a dual carriage way, an accident happened on the other side. So everyone on that side, decide to drive in the fast lane of the other side, and when that wasn't enough, they over take.....while still on the wrong side lol.
Metalguru
Grafter

Hollywood / Prague

Someone wrote : -
We had a fun hour or two in the pedalos in the river, if that's your thing.

And Someone else wrote something else about pedalos.

Which reminds me .........

Come in Number 68 your time is up !

COME IN NUMBER 68 YOUR TIME IS UP !!!

Are You In Trouble Number 89 Huh?
chymorva
Grafter

Hollywood / Prague

Tee hee. :lol:
The old one's are the best. :lol:
Phantom_Flan_Fl
Grafter

Hollywood / Prague

I found LA quite disappointing to be honest. Admittedly it was around 6 years ago. Done a 3 city trip, a week in San Francisco, 3 days in Vegas and 4 days in LA. LA came out bottom for me.

Best thing was Six Flags Theme Park just north of LA, one of the best I've been to for thrill rides. Did see Ru Paul doing an advert for Virgin Cola on Santa Monica Pier where they done a lot of Baywatch stuff. I was surprised that you couldn't get that close to the Hollywood sign (not legally anyway) so photos were quite poor.
Phantom_Flan_Fl
Grafter

Hollywood / Prague

We stayed out nearer Disney, though we didn't go because we'd done Disney in Orlando. We also had a car so getting around was easy.

We done a coach tour which took us around the Business District, the Chinese Theatre, Santa Monica, Hollywood including the Mall, where we had lunch, Rodeo Drive and a couple of other places I can't remember.

We also went to Universal Studios and as mentioned above, Six Flags.

On our last day we went to the Griffith Observatory as we were told this was as close as you could get to the Hollyood sign.
LiamM
Grafter

Hollywood / Prague

Well I've just got back from both trips and both were just amazing. Hollywood is a very interesting place. Very strange but also very exciting. The theme parks were good, people were generally very nice and the hotel was brilliant.

Prague however, is simply out of this world. Such a fantastic place to go and so cost effective. My girlfriend and I ate 3 course meals every night for 4 nites, had breakfast every morning and drunk every night for just £80 for the whole week. Even if we wanted to spend loads on food, we found it hard because the place is just so inexpensive!

We stayed in an Apartment near Wenceslas Square. A few stripclubs down the road, but didnt run into any trouble at all. The apartment was spacious, clean, warm and very secure. Would definately return and in fact, probably will, in the summer. We had a living area with leather sofas, TV with English Channels. Also a fully equipped Kitchen, Bathroom, Toilet and very spacious Bedroom with a very comfortable bed!

Didn't find any pedalos unfortunately but did take a walk along the river for a while. Crossed Charles Bridge and walked up to the Castle which is just stunning. The whole area is simply beautiful. Climbed the tower in the Cathedral (some 287 steps up a very enclosed, concrete spiral staircase) to experience some of the most breathtaking views of the city. Was amazing.

The metro is a godsend, and the trams also. We paid 250CSK for a 7 day transport ticket (about £6) which allowed us to use any Bus, Tram, Metro we liked for an entire 7 day period. Catching the Bus from the Airport was an experience since they don't waste time and the doors closed before we managed to get on the first bus that came. The metro however is very clean and extremely reliable, running from 5am - midnight. Night trams serve the city after this time and these are frequent and go all over the place.

Wenceslas Square itself is perhaps the most touristy part of the city. It even boasts a Marks & Spencer, Debenhams, H & M, C & A etc... Perhaps one of the most beautiful parts of the city is the Old Town Square which is just 5 minutes away by metro. There you can go up yet another tower (a lift this time) for beautiful views across the city and along the river. There are hundreds of market stalls and boutiques to purchase the cheapest of souvenirs, the cheesiest of T-Shirts (yes, I have one that says "PRAGUE, Czech It Out!") and the most beautiful of paintings. All very inexpensive.

If anyone is thinking about a cheap, european break, then Prague just cannot be missed. The flights cost us £110 each (though we went half-term and at late notice - you can book now with easyjet for £60 return), the apartment was £150 for the both of us and we could have survived on £80 if we hadn't bought souvenirs, alcohol to bring home etc... The whole trip being £450 for 2 people for 4 nights in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Thats not bad if you ask me!

Do not miss this one!

(If you want more info, please do not hesitate to PM me. I can recommend a very very nice restaurant and let anyone know of where we stayed if you were thinking along the similar lines.)