Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with signatures please [RESOLVED]

loftrat
Grafter

Hi Guys,

Please could you tell me, when you view this post, how many lines my signature takes up?

I've been asked to trim it down as it is currently over the four line limit however, when I view any of my posts it only appears to be 4 lines (2 with text, 1 blank, and then 1 more with a couple of links).

I MUST stress that I genuinely don't mind editing it if it's really causing a problem, I just wanted to see *where* the problem actually was as it seems to look fine from here.

Could this be to do with the way that the forum is displayed in different browsers?

Thanks.
14 REPLIES
Zathras
Grafter

Rumour has it that if you play Microsoft CDs backwards you'll hear Satanic
messages.
Worse still, is that if you play them forwards they will install Windows.

Registered Linux User #423840 | Registered Ubuntu User #4799

Thats how I see it
N/A

This is how it appears to me.

The bit worth noting is how the right edge of the post is in line with the portal header.
This shows that the browser is displaying the page as intended by the site developers.

Does yours appear in line too?

Linky
loftrat
Grafter

Nope, on the forum pages the Purple header sticks out slightly further to the right than the messages do, but the grey link bar doesn't quite reach the line of the messages.

The Purple header and the grey link bar aren't even the same length.

When I set the signature up, and originally edited it following a request to do so, I was using Firefox. At the moment I'm using IE5.5. This would suggest that the site is implemented in very different ways in those browsers to how it is in yours.
loftrat
Grafter

I've got a screenshot, here's how I see it:

Link

As you can see, the message boxes don't line up with the two header elements and the first two lines of text haven't wrapped.
Community Veteran

It's currently showing as 4 lines with text, and one spacer line. IIRC the rules state that it should be no more than 4 lines including any spacer lines, when viewed on a 800*600 screen.
shellsong
Grafter

Hey, no7olivier, on my computer your sig seems to show 5 lines-- 3 text and two blank! :lol:
loftrat
Grafter

Hey, no7olivier, on my computer your sig seems to show 5 lines-- 3 text and two blank! :lol:

Now there's an interesting turn up for the books. So, it's not just my signature that is rendered wrong then?

Ummm.....now what?

I'm assuming that to no7olivier his signature looks ok, and to me my signature looks ok.....

Any more for any more?
N/A

I see the sigs as being normal and only 4 lines. Personally I dont see there as being a problem.

My PERSONAL feelings are also that perhaps the old 800*600 dimension mentioned is perhaps a little outdated as the vast majority of users now run on 1024*768 as a result of either having a larger monitor or a tft or lcd monitor.

If designing a template for a site or anything I base it on a 1024*768 resolution due to this fact. But hey ho those are my feelings.
loftrat
Grafter

Ok, so then.....

I've got some people saying it's too long, and some saying it isn't.....

Given that even the Moderators aren't sure, where do I go from here? Tongue
Zathras
Grafter

You could just remove the blank line?
N/A

Or I could remove the ability to have a signature :lol:
loftrat
Grafter

Does it fit now?