cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help please!

N/A

Help please!

I am trying to upload my website onto the web and am having no luck.

I've downloaded 4 different FTP packages and tried FrontPage but with no joy.

I am a total novice at this.

Can someone please explain in totally un-nerd language where I click what I complete etc. before I get carted off?

Thanks.
:?
10 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Help please!

Can someone please explain in totally un-nerd language where I click what I complete etc. before I get carted off?

In brief you need to copy your website to the htdocs directory on the homepages.force9.net machine (also accessible as ftp-proxy.force9.net). The exact process will depend on which of your four GUI FTP clients you choose to use.

On your client software, there should be an option to enable you to specify the remote host (server) to which you want to transfer the files. Here you should specify ftp-proxy.force9.net and tell your software to connect. You will get prompted to enter your password (which will be your normal force9 password).

If the software connects successfully, you will probably be presented with a user-interface showing two panes: one represents the files of your local machine, the other shows the files on the remote machine (the force9 machine). There are facilities for changing directories on each side. On the remote side, you should get to the "htdocs" directory - the files and directories comprising your website need to reside in this directory. On the local side, you need to navigate to where your website files reside.

Having done this, you need to transfer the files from your local machine to the remote machine. How you do this depends on the software you are using. Some use drag-and-drop, where you grab the files/directories in one pane (the local pane) and drag them across to the remote pane and drop them where you want them to go, much like in Windows Explorer, for example. On others you mark the source and destination and press an arrow button to indicate which direction to copy the files (from your machine to the remote machine).

Note that html files should be transferred in ascii mode, image files (gifs, jpegs, pngs, etc) should be transferred in binary mode. Some packages will work out automatically the correct mode to use; others have to be told.

That's it in brief. I hope that's enough to get you started, but if not, post again, and I or someone else I'm sure will be pleased to help. For now, it's the early hours, and shut-eye calls!

task.force9
N/A

Uploading web pages

Thanks for that info.

I will give it a go over the weekend.

:lol:
N/A

Uploading web page

Hi, I've had another try using wsftple and have followed their walk-thrus.

I'm sure I have done everything correctly. It let me xfer the page from the local to the remote but when I type in the web addres it says nothing found.

I'm sure I' nearly there and there's something obvious I'm missing.

Can someone please help.

It's so tantalising! Cry
N/A

Help please!

I have gone to your homepage and seen the "still under construction" page. You have obviously managed to upload some files, how did you do this? If you can remember how they were done, you should be able to copy the rest of your files too.

Regards

Mark
N/A

Uploading web page

Thanks Mark.

This may sound really dumb but how did you access the site?

I tried putting www.stereocababies.co.uk in the address bar and I've tried google but site is not being found.

Regards.

Dougie Sad
N/A

Domain names

Hi.

I have managed to upload my page but to the wrong domain!!

Can anyonetell me how I change things so thestereocatbabies one is the web page??

View your Webstats

The following domains are hosted on your Force9 account. Choose a domain from the list below and enter your username and password in the popup window that appears. For more information on the graphs and statistics, please see below.
www.dougiec.force9.co.uk
fp.dougiec.f9.co.uk
www.stereocatbabies.co.uk

Thanks.
N/A

Hosting Other Domains

I don't have any domains hosted by Force9, so cannot say from previous experience what the answer is to your question, but I'd reckon you need to raise a Contact us ticket to get it done.

I see both www.stereocatbabies.co.uk and www.dougiec.force9.co.uk point to 212.159.8.1, which is the IP address of homepages, the web serving host. It's evident that apache, the webserver software is not configured to serve pages for stereocatbabies. This is what needs to be done for you by Force9 Support.

I'm not sure how flexible Force9 is with this. Your webspace already contains a subdirectory called "htdocs", which is the "DocumentRoot" for your dougiec website. It may be, if you create a second directory -- alongside, not in, htdocs (say a directory called stereocatbabies) -- Force9 will allow you to specify this as the DocumentRoot for the www.stereocatbabies.co.uk website. In that case, stereocatbabies and dougiec are two entirely separate websites, each of them taking a separate chunk of your 250MB web space allowance.

It may be that Force9 does not let you do this, in which case both will use your htdocs directory as their DocumentRoots, and the two names will point to the same website.

You need to decide which of these you'd prefer (as I said, Force9 may not permit the first, anyway) and ask them to set up Virtual Hosting for www.stereocatbabies.co.uk with a DocumentRoot set accordingly.

PS: I see, under Domain Names,
Register your domain name today and we will automatically update your webspace and email addresses for your new domain. To take up this great offer click Opt In below. You can then start the registration process and choose your unique domain name.

I suggest, while you're at the Contact Us business, you ask them to do the email stuff as well, which should enable you to use email addresses like dougiec@sterereocatbabies.co.uk.
N/A

Help please!

I have just gone to http://www.stereocatbabies.co.uk/ and to www.dougiec.f9.co.uk and the site is the same. BTW, I went to the f9 address previously as i didn't know about the domain name. It would appear that the domain has now been set up on your account. Perhaps it was just in a transitional period.

Mark
N/A

Domain Hosting

I have just gone to http://www.stereocatbabies.co.uk/ and to www.dougiec.f9.co.uk and the site is the same.
It would appear that the domain has now been set up on your account. Perhaps it was just in a transitional period.

It would seem you're quite right, for it certainly wasn't working when I posted earlier, but, as you say, it is now.

I wonder if that means the email is OK as well.

By the way, I found a thread on the Customer Feedback forum which seems to explain this: Domain vs F9 Webspace. I don't think what's been said here is misleading though.
N/A

domain name

Thanks very much eveyone for your help. Really appreciated.

As I've said I'm a bit of a novice at this game.

Thanks again. :lol: