cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help please with my connection settings - Thanks in advance!

N/A

Hello.

Can anybody please make a suggestion as to what can be causing my connection problem. I'm not really getting anywhere very quickly with the support line.

The problem is that my router will not sync following the £14.99 "upgrade" from 1mb to 2mb. The fault occurred on the very same day that the change was made. Since then I have not been able to connect. I have turned off my router overnight and rebooted all of the usual things. I have tried 2 different filters and a different modem. (all of which used to work)

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Ticket: 16350810 Assigned

Raised: 2005-04-14 09:24:35 by: You

2005-04-14
09:24:35
You
Open : [Support Wizard Journey]
[Connection Problem]
[ADSL Troubleshooter]
[Self Install]
[3rd Party Hardware]
[Circuit in synch - NO]
[Power status ok - YES]
[Cabling and configuration checked]
[Additional Information]
Hello
Following my "upgrade to 2mb" my router will not not sync i.e. the green light is flashing.
THis problem was first apparent when I got home last night. I have reset my router and disconnected any other phones. The filter is running from my master socket. I have done ALL of the usual things. The computer has been left on and my router is plugged in.

Please let me know when I can expect this problem to be resolved.

Regards

Andrew Morris
2005-04-14
22:32:35
Martin Cundell
Customer Support Centre Open : internal-
Retest AM:
Broadband Frames Jumper Check Failed Getting Frame Check Tests Details

Primary contact 07976 391452
Secondary :01544327158
Best time to contact any time during the day on mobile and anytime in the night for secondery contact
2005-04-15
20:54:37
Mick Booth
Customer Support Centre Assigned : [internal]

Unable to perform copper line test as line busy. retry later.

Regards,
Mick Booth
2005-04-16
10:10:49
Stephen Dean
CSC - Escalations Team Assigned : [internal] test tool failure

Regards,
Stephen Dean
2005-04-16
16:46:38
Mick Booth
Customer Support Centre Assigned : [internal]

Copper line passed, unable to get xDSL information. Confirm equipment connected & powered.

Regards,
Mick Booth
2005-04-17
15:18:02
Martin Cundell
Customer Support Centre Assigned : internal-
Callback to confirm powered up:
Major Findings Further diagnostics required - no sync fault requires frames tester check.
Conclusions Inconclusive
2005-04-17
15:24:08
Martin Cundell
Customer Support Centre Assigned : Dear Mr Morris,
I have raised this issue to BT. They generally take around 48-72 hours to update us on the fault that we have raised . Please ensure your equipment is left powered on for the duration of the fault. This is so that we and BT can continue to test your line.

Kind regards,
Martin Cundell
[internal]
ref:1-5HUI8D/01281009

Called EU who confirmed all equipment is powered up and plugged in.
2005-04-19
10:02:48
You
Assigned : Hello

Is there any news regarding my connection problem yet?
It will be 1 week tomorrow.
Regards

Andrew
2005-04-19
13:41:32
Richard Allen
P&F - DSL Logged Faults Assigned : Dear Mr Morris,
We are sorry that this is taking a while to resolve. I can confirm that BT are still looking into the fault, and we'll keep you updated.

Regards,
Richard Allen
2005-04-21
14:44:10
Robert Kelly
P&F - DSL Logged Faults Assigned : Dear Mr Morris,
Further to the above, BT advise us that this problem was likely caused by a Major Service Outage on their network which has now been cleared. Please retest the connection and let us know if you experience any further problems.

Regards,
Robert Kelly
2005-04-22
13:10:03
You
Assigned : NO, NO, NO, NO, NO,NO, NO!

It still doesn't work - It's now been 9 days and it will now probably be out over the weekend too.

I'm getting really annoyed now!

2005-04-22
13:22:06
You
Assigned : I am totally dismayed at the inaction by BT and F9 to resolve this problem. Why has it taken BT 5 days to say that there was a "major outage" - If this was the case they would have known it immediately. I doubt that their statement was true.
The problem obviously occurred during the speed "upgrade" process. Perhaps my line and router cannot support the higher speed and is having trouble syncing because of the change at the exchange. I would like SOMEONE to actually INVESTIGATE this problem. It will not simply fix itself!!!!!!!
5 REPLIES
N/A

try plugging your router directly into the master socket (with filter of course) with all other appliances (phones Wink) disconnected. The increased speed reduces stability, if it synchs there you have a place to start.
N/A

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried that first as I have had a previous problem with the SKY+ box.

Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem.

Regards

Andrew
N/A

Hi Andrew,

Yes! I know how annoying,frustrating and angry making this kind of experience can be but both BT & F9 wont get to the bottom of the problem any more quickly by getting yourself stressed out. Honest!! got the T-shirt to prove it too.

Personally reading your thread it seems perfectly obvious that this problem is actually at the exchange end of things and that your inability to now gain a sych connection is due to the work carried out by BT at the phone exchange. Its sounds like the upgrade has changed the frame rate and now your router cannot deal with the new framing rate and so is unable currently to sync.

1) I recon its a definately a BT Problem.

2) you definiately need to check & double check that your router's make & model can cope with a 2MB connection ( I have absolutely no idea why it wouldnt of course) The router manufacturer should have built into the router the ability to deal with faster connections up to aleast 8MB's.

3) Check & double check your routers configuration,as what occurrs to me is that the settings which you previously had & used (successfully before) may now not be correct for the upgraded 2MB connection. For example you might need to change or alter the modulation type such as G.Lite,GDMT,etc also check the VPI & PVI values, also check that you still have the correct encapsulation type for example PPPoATM or PPPoE etc.these might need changing for all I know and it would be worth checking these both with the router's manufacturer,BT & F9.

Dont know if this might be helpful? Ivan
N/A

The first thing to look at is the signal to noise ratio (SNR) on your modem/router if you can view it. If it is a low value, this could explain the problem and it is something within the network which is causing the connection issue.

Make a test call on your line to make sure there is no interference.

Can you connect at all? or does it connect and then immediately disconnect?

Ivan mentioned some good points - if you get no luck from this, reset the router to its factory state and then set it back up from scratch again. Failing this, see if you can try another router from somewhere from a friend or a colleague. I had a friend who was showing exactly the same problem and it turned out to be an exchange issue.

Your name is very familiar .. you dont work in Birmingham do you ? Smiley
N/A

SNR & Tests of various kinds

Hello Again,

Yes! I would agree with everything said in the above reply, but please be aware that NOT all routers allow or give you information on signal to noise ratio (SNR), so if your router doesnt have this dont worry. Contact BT or whoever your teleco (phone line) providor is and ask them to perform a line test and Yes! ask them about the noise levels on your line, get them to balance your line if required, ask them to tweak (adjust) the "Gain" on your line if required all of these things can and will affect your quality of service from exchange to your master wall socket.

**For BT DSL team you can normally get put through via the operator or they will give you the number or transfer you to them.

Ivan