cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help installing phpBB PLEASE!!

N/A

I am trying to install phpBB see http://www.phpbb.com on my webspace. I have activated CGI and MySQL but when I run install.php nothing happens!

Is there a problem with running php scripts on the server or do you think it is another issue?
10 REPLIES
N/A

1/ what do you mean by nothing happens?

Do you get a script error? A permissions error what?

You need to run the install script from the web, not from the shell (telnet) session.

eg point your browser at http://yourwebspace/yourforum/admin/install.php

2/ Mine is running intermittantly slow due to the fact that the SQL servers are not very good. Be warned!

Post back here if you need more help with file permissions etc....
ade
Dabbler

tswilding have you managed to move your Forum across without any errors? I'm having a problem and am just about to try again but if you have any suggestions can you let me know, many thanks.

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not query database for theme info

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 3
N/A

Yes moved mine accross fine.

You need to change the password and server stuff in config.php to the new settings for the SQL server that you are now using.
Obvioulsy you need to import all the data into the new SQL server. You need to use something like mysqladmin or SQLylog (runs on your PC) to export and import the whole database.

You then need to change the config settings if anything like the http address and directories have changed etc....

The main thing to check is that all the tables are in the new database ok. I didn't do a new "install" I just copied all the files to the new server, changed the passwords etc on config.php and exported and imported the database with SQLylog.

If you have any addon modules make sure you use a third party program to export the database, don't use the one inside phpbb it's self. As the exporter there doesn't export any new modules tables (eg file attachements etc).

I can't think of anything else.
N/A

You need to change the password and server stuff in config.php to the new settings for the SQL server that you are now using.
Obvioulsy you need to import all the data into the new SQL server. You need to use something like mysqladmin or SQLylog (runs on your PC) to export and import the whole database.

Have I missed something here?
I thought that the SQL servers were physically different machines (eg rumpus)and that they are not changing. If this is the case is it not just a matter of shifting the code and altering the config settings to the new ccgi location but still referencing the original database?

Oops!! Maybe I'm a bit locked in to the cgi>>ccgi changeover here. I guess you're referring to someone who's coming from another host altogether?

Bob
N/A

I don't understand these references to importing and exporting database records: the migration from the cgi system to the ccgi system does not affect the database in any way whatsoever. The database server is a third system, separate from both "cgi" and "ccgi". If, on "cgi", you back up your database and then, on "ccgi", you restore it, you've merely replaced the data in your database with the data which were there already...

If you're migrating from "cgi" to "ccgi", the main concern is migrating the phpBB files you have on the cgi machine to the equivalent place (ie same directory name) on the ccgi system. If your phpBB setup is "vanilla" (ie, you've not messed about with extra themes, templates, smilies, avatars, etc), you can pretty much use the standard installation package (at the same release level as you're using on cgi), and migrate across only the config.php file, which, in essence, is the most important file in the phpBB setup. A running system does not use the "contrib" and "install" directories, so these should be deleted from the files supplied by the installation package. If you've added smilies, avatars and whatnot, you need to migrate these across, or reinstall them on the ccgi system.

The next thing is to make sure file permissions on the ccgi system are set appropriately for use on that system. The permissions are different from those which were required on the cgi system.

You can either make this simple or complicated. The simple thing is to set user (owner) permissions to 7 (read, write and execute), group permissions to 5 (read and execute) and other permissions to 0 (no access), so 0750 and replicate them down the whole phpBB directory structure (ie chmod -R 0750 <phpBB directory name>).

The complicated thing is to assess whether a particular file will be accessed by the web server using the "user" or "group" permissions and to set the permissions accordingly. For example, the index.php file is an executable, so it is accessed by the web server under its user permissions, not its group permissions. Therefore, as far as the webserver is concerned, permissions of 500 (user has read and execute, group and "other" have no access at all) will do the trick. Similarly, the all-important config.php file is read by the webserver when it's executing a PHP script, ie, the webserver is already running as "user", so a permission of 400 (user has read, group and "other" have no access) is all that's required. Since you are the "user" and you may want to modify the files, you could give "user" write access in each case, turning the 500 into a 700 for index.php and the 400 to a 600 for config.php. Similar considerations apply to other file types and directories. (My own analysis has revealed there's not a great deal in phpBB which needs "group" to have any access at all, the principal exceptions being the images directory and its contents [smilies and avatars are GIF files which are accessed as group] and -- if I remember correctly -- the templates directory, which also contains image files. "tpl" and "cfg" files are accessed from scripts, so at that point the web server is running as "user".)

Whether it's worth doing the "complicated thing" is debatable. Since the web server runs as "user" when processing executable files, removing write access from files which are never going to be modified through the server does reduce any risk of some "blackhat" exploiting a vulnerability in the server, albeit at the cost of some inconvenience to yourself when you come to upgrade. Removing "group" access means you reduce the risk of fellow-Force9 users accessing your files from the shell (remember the key one here is "config.php", which contains your database password), but you may consider that Force9 has already adequately addressed this issue by setting "nouser" as the owning group on your home directory and no access to "other", thereby locking out other Force9 users. A sensible choice would be to adopt the "simple" approach, but in addition to change the config.php permission to 600 (rw-------).

Assuming you've placed your phpBB files in the same directory in your ccgi filespace as they occupied in your cgi filespace then the only other consideration is the "Domain Name", which has changed from cgi.<your username>.force9.co.uk to ccgi.<your username>.force9.co.uk. This value is held in the database (in the config table) so you can either do a sneaky change using database tools or use the phpBB Administration panels to change the value -- probably easiest to do this from the old cgi system, as things will be a bit quirky on ccgi until you've done it (and will become quirky on cgi after you've done it). In the Adminstration Panel, go to General Admin -> Configuration and it's the "Domain Name" field on that screen. If you've put the phpBB software in a directory with a different name from the one used on cgi, then the "Script path" will also need to be changed.

By the way, if you do the migration but don't make this "Domain Name" change, then, when "cgi" is eventually closed, your phpBB will suddenly stop working for no apparent reason. (The reason, of course, is that, although you hadn't realised it, you were still using your phpBB installation on the cgi system.)
N/A

You are right about cgi to ccgi, not sure if that is what was meant or not. I did not have to move my forum from cgi to ccgi as I never had the old system in the first place.

I moved my pages to a different hosting company altogether as rumpus was running very slowly and the forum was basically unusable. I think f9 have done some work on it now so perhaps it is better.

So, to move accross to the ccgi from cgi indeed you don't need to move the database at all. You do need to change the forum URL in configuration to ccgi instead of cgi as someone else has already said.

I you are moving it to another hosting company then you do need to do the steps that I have already mentioned.
N/A

Hi Task

Oh hello Task, nice to hear from you again. I see you've not lost your skill in conciseness Wink
ade
Dabbler

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll have a go this weekend.
ade
Dabbler

Ok i have transferred my files across from cgi to ccgi. I have changed permissions and can view my forum. I then tried to access the control panel to change the domain name / path but it would not let me in and kept on going to the old panel. I then decided to upload the install and contrib directories. When I then try to run these i get:

CGIWrap Error: Execution of this script not permitted
CGIWrap Error: Request Error

Never seen this before, can anyone shed any light on the matter?

Thanks
N/A

The system redirects you when you login to the link in the config settings.

So if you have the old link in the config it will keep redirecting you. BUT you can just replace the cgi for ccgi in the link that you end up with and eventually you will get through to the new install control panel. When ever the browser ends up at the old place just replace the cgi to ccgi and keep the rest of the link exactly as it was and it works in the end. Then change the servername in the control panel to the ccgi.

OR you can use the F9 mysql web based tools to change the table
<your prefix>_config

entries: server_name
and : script_path

make sure they are still correct. The server_name need to be changed from cgi to ccgi.

OR alternatively if the old install on cgi is actually still working and points to the same mysql database then just change the servername through the old cgi. This will update the database and so it will work next time you login to the new ccgi.

CGIWrap Error: Execution of this script not permitted
I think the above error is due to file permissions. Check them carefully.