cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help With Launching My Website Please!

N/A

I wsh the FOL clever clogs where not so clever, cos I am not clever enough to understand their answers!

I would like one to touch earth and help me to get my website launched into www, because I just cannot find out how to do it.

Gill

[Moderators note (by Thomas): I have split this from the thread it was originally in, as it wasn't really relevant to that thread. Please start new threads when you want to talk about a new subject.]
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

uploading website

Hi tornadothematics

You have been busy. You seem to have posted to most of the forums (or fora if you prefer).
I notice that you use Frontpage. It should be possible to upload your files from there. Click on the "publish web" command under the files menu. Then put "ftp://homepages.free-online.net/htdocs" into the box and click on the "publish" button. You'll be asked for your user name and password. Then sit back and let FP do it. Smiley

That works for me.

Hope you manage it. Let us know.
John
N/A

problem

Hi John

Thank you so much for your help. You don't know how grateful I am.

My test home page is at www.tornadothematics.co.uk, if you would like to look.

It is not wonderful I suspect but I need to get all this working very fast now and improvements can come later.

One more silly question - to be able to edit the site on a regular basis, am I right that i need CuteFTP software on a permanent basis - I am using time limited shareware at present.

Actually one more daft question - due to what FOL told me I also have this web page sitting on the FP server at present and I do not know how to delete it, can you assist?

Do you have a web site up and running? If so I would like to see it if you dont mind, what is its address?

Thank you so much

Gill
Community Veteran

FTP

Hi

As I said before, I usually publish my site from within Frontpage so CuteFTP would be redundant. You can also ftp files directly using Internet explorer. Click here ftp://homepages.free-online.net/htdocs. Once again you'll be asked for your user name and password, so that you can be directed to the right place, but you can then copy and paste files directly to the space. (Personally, I'd let Frontpage do it, but it's personal taste)

If you ask for your space to be moved from the frontpage server, I think they'll delete it automatically, but if the page works as it is, I would just leave it.

You can see the site I'm responsible for at www.ccsongsters.free-online.co.uk
Any helpful comments gratefully recieved. Smiley

Good luck

John
N/A

FTP and your website

Hi John

Like your website, just shows what can be done if you know how.

It looks like you are using other soft ware besides frontpage or maybe you are coding yourself?

I am not very smart in the technolgy line and although I can see my site in the FTP server it loads very slowly and not completely.don't know why this is as it loads completely and fast on www.

Before I downloaded Cute FTP again I tried to publish direct out of frontpage but it would not work - grrrrrrr i think. (Sorry been ill for sometime and am forgetful. ) I had tried prior to your help to upload a different test page but it did not seem to work but now when i try to publish just the changed pages I am getting a message saying that it does not recognize file/folder titles with spaces and is mentioning the original test site which i have replaced. so each time I have to publish the complete site.

As you will see I am confused/caught in a memory loop/stupid or something LOL.

Thanks again for your help.

We seem to have upset the forem moderator

Gill
Community Veteran

publishing web page

Hi

Make sure you're publishing to the htdocs folder. That is ftp://homepages.free-online.net/htdocs I've missed that in the past and had similar errors. One tip it took me a while to work out, is to work in tables and then set the lines as transparent. That helps to get things where you want them, and get the layout right.

As for guestbooks and things, I just put the curser where I wanted it on the main page and then went to the html page (the curser is then in the right place in the code) Put in a couple of blank lines (that has no affect on the how the site looks) and then cut and pasted the code as necessary. Once the link is in, you can drag and drop it around the page as much as you like.

Keep on working on it. Trial and error's a great teacher (if a little long-winded) :lol:

John
N/A

Hi John

Thanks for the tips. I have now got it published and sorted out the ftp server LOL.

You are so right , I am learning, very slowly.

Gill
N/A

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here, but just a quick comment ... you can't have spaces in the names of folders or file names on your website. This is because when the browser sees a space in an address, it thinks that is the end of the address. IT is also not vaild for UNIX (and therefore Linux) filenames to have spaces in them.

My site is www.origamimark.co.uk, as we are sharing addresses.

I built and maintain it by hand - no fancy web-publishing tools used here - just good old limestone rocks, wattle 'n' daub, and a lime mortar to hold it all together.

I have found WS_FTP to be a good free ftp program (avaliable from the FOL toolbox area), and I use a piece of freeware called PSPAD to edit my code, but I think PSPAD can also be used to maintain remote files as well as locaol ones so WS_FTP may be overkill.

Regards

Mark
N/A

Frontpage vs Dreamweaver

No doubt this may spark some heated discussion, but I prefer to use Dreamweaver instead of Frontpage.

There are some functions of FP that are not supported across all browsers or ISP's, the FTP upload function of FP is a bundle of *****, plus DW allows other functions that are now becoming Industry Standard.

The industry preferred method of managing a website has to be Dreamweaver.
OK, you get FP as part of the MS Office package or whatever and having shelled out for that, one is reluctant to use other things.

There are many ways to give a sheep a haircut. :idea:
N/A

I would hardly describe Origami's website as using wattle and daub..........

more likely borrowed plasterboard.
N/A

Can't wait to see manasto's fantastic website.