cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help: Website Design

firmager
Grafter

Just wondering if you could all help me out. I've started designing my own website, but the Plus.Net online website builer doesn't have many features at all (no offence meant).

I was wondering program you all use, and what you would suggest would be good?

I was thinking about FrontPage but never used it before - can anyone give me a quick overview?

Thanks.
14 REPLIES
michaelscott
Grafter

Google Search

[Moderator's note (by csogilvie): Link Text added as it was breaking the forums layout.]
N/A

Froutpage is good but dreamweaver is proberly better and theres a free trial at www.macromedia.com only for 30 days i think and if your willing to pay then get it and if your willing to pay big amounts of money (4 grand i think) www.microsoft.com have visual studios with witch you can also write programs in c++ language, tim
N/A

Im just starting web design and its taken me a while but the best way im finding is using notepad. Its free and you know exactly where you are while you use it. Ive got a load of free tutorial websites. If you want me to mail them to you, send me a mail.

james@jbcannell.plus.com
N/A

Im just starting web design and its taken me a while but the best way im finding is using notepad. Its free and you know exactly where you are while you use it.

james@jbcannell.plus.com

He's right you know. With notepad you will learn whats going on a lot quicker. A good book would probably help too. Try SAMS "Teach yourself HTML and XHTML in 24 hours." Within a week you should be able to create far more appealing pages than the basic templates supplied with frontpage dreamweaver et al
michaelscott
Grafter

lol. dreamweaver isn't designed to be an [insert page title here] programme.
N/A

Another program you could use is Xara Webstyle 4.0.

I used that and notepad for my site.
Community Veteran

There are lots of HTML editors around that can do a lot of the tedious tasks like creating tables within tables etc. Go to your local shareware download site and just search for 'HTML editor'. Many freeware, shareware and trialware versions available. It still allows you to do the HTML bits if you want but has lots of other good tools for webpage designing.

Dreamweaver is not good for beginners, you really need to understand HTML and all it's fancy options to use dreamweaver properly to develop websites. It is very powerfull but also very complex to understand.
vic_newey
Grafter

Get Sierra Webartist, you can do just about anything, hundreds of buttons/backgrounds. animations to drag & drop. insert pictures/ sounds etc. then simply click a button & it converts to HTML & uploads to FTP
i have a 30 page website created with this & it only costs £15
N/A

With MS Word and MS Publisher you can create a page and then save as HTML which you simply upload to the space.
Community Veteran

Yes Publisher actually makes a pretty good job of making web pages, and its easy to use for a beginer.
I in fact created my first couple of pages of the www.hmrg.co.uk site using publisher so it's a good way to get started.

When you get to the point where you want to make the site more complex and need to update pages on a regular basis then publisher has its shortcomings here.
I now use HoMeTaL to develop my sites and again find it reasonably easy to use but a lot more flexible than publisher.

But Publisher is a very good starting point for anyone to instantly create a few pages.
N/A

+net have a webdesign newsgroup I have used in the past.

I have always written in HTMl, using Notepad on XP now, and you dont have to learn many commands to do a basic job. Nowadays you are probably better off with a package but it is always good to be aware of the basics. I have noticed that packages generate a lot of redundant code.
Community Veteran

Nowadays you are probably better off with a package but it is always good to be aware of the basics.

Yes thats one of the things I like about HoTMetaL. It doesnt do everything for you and you do have to be able to write some code yourself.
Also it has 3 ways of displaying the Information.

1. as wysiwyg.
2. as wysiwyg but with code elements visable.
3. Pure html code.

The version I have is Issue 4 and by now it must be on issue 6 or higher so I suspect the latest version will do a lot more of the spade work for you.
(And probably build in all the bloatware) Cry
N/A

I use HTML script for web sites. Thats one god way to do it
pcorker
Grafter

Serif PagePlus 9 requires zero HTML knowledge to produce webpages. It also does very good desktop publishing and PDF.
PRO: dead simple to use - has a helpfull forum, like this one - can choose to output web, DTP or PDF - reasonably cheap - regularly upgraded for a nominal fee.
CON: Simple websites only (eg no frames, bells or whistles)
My very simple site is HERE
You can try to talk up a deal by buying direct but DON'T get a version below V9 or go for WebPlus.
Pat.

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Stray URL tag removed for you.]