Have I got a virus?

I have been getting the following blue screeny recently:

"tcpmux table full"

is this a virus causing this ?
7 REPLIES
N/A

More Info

Hi,

To answer your question you would have to give abit more information really, from what you've said its hard to say. When you say the screen is blue, is this part of the sceen or the whole entire screen? is this at boot up of the machine or when you open a specific program or attempt an internet connection,etc?

The most obvious comment would be if you dont already have anti virus software installed on your system then you need something ASAP!!. There are a variety of immediately available freeware AV Programs that you could download off the internet such as the excellent ANTIVIR (free for personal use), this is a very well written german program but also in english. Another option might be one of the free online AV scanners such as the following:-

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/

or

http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

Then there are the obviously commercial offerings from Mc Afree or Norton and symantec,etc

Ivan
okmbok
Grafter

tcpmux

Well its one of those blue screen warnings...were you have to press " a key" to continue.

It appears, not every time, when I am browsing the internet.

I have already got zone alarm installed (incl anti virus).

Its happend about 3 times in the last 2weeks. ??

I guess I should scan my comp for viruses.

On a side note... (maybe this should be on another forum?)

I was using Norton FW / AV 2002. until recently and found webbrowsing painfully slow. So moving over to zone alrm has speeded things up. But I have been using System Mechanic & "Process Internals" prog to check CPU usage. Can anyone confirm that once you start browsing the internet your cpu usage goes up around 35% (on System Mechanic & Windows own System monitor) but Process Internals prog says 16%. These CPU figures stays there even if you close all ie windows?.
(im on BBand if that makes a difference)
The only thing which reduces the cpu usage ihappens when I move the mouse??
So is this normal or which of the CPU % is accurate?
N/A

Have I got a virus?

agree with what ivan said, the only thing i would add, is make sure that if you are using a modem to connect directly to the internet wither ADSL/Dialup then you should make sure that you are running a software firewall like zonalarm or my preference Sygate Personal firewall, both of which offer free versions of there product for homeuse

Darren
N/A

No I doubte it?

Hello once again,
I spent some time trying to get a closer or better understanding of your error message " error message tcpmux table full" Once again I drew a blank as you just didnt give me enough information to go on? Like which OS or version of windows are we talking about (or Mac or Linux?), which program or application is causing the problem specifically? is the problem repeated or random or only when a certain action is made? like openning or closing IE,etc. Is the problem internet related or only windows related?

I did a search for you on the error mesaage, on one of the big techie knowledge bases that I often use and it returned over 200 documents related to this subject.

If its TCP or TCP/IP related then we are talking networking here that much is obvious but is it ADSL or modem (dialup). Where does the blue screeny thing come in? Would like to help but you need to give me/us more to go on!

Ivan
N/A

Oh!

PS: I forgot to say that I doubte this is a virus more like a software related technical fault or problem. But you can never rule out viruses, worms or trojens completely thats why I think it would be wise to get some AV software ASAP or have your system scanned even if its only an online scanner. Just to help eliminate virus activity from your trouble shooting process.

Ivan
okmbok
Grafter

virus

thanks...for the advice

No viruses apart from spyware, in the form of "a.exe and bridge.dll"

Ad-aware killed them off.
N/A

Replying

Hello Again,
Yes! its a common mistake to believe that just because you have a personal firewall such as ZoneAlarm that you will be protected from viruses,spyware and other forms of malware (such as arrgessive dialler programs that happily try and install themselves onto your system if its not locked down). The problem is that if you use a program like Internet Explorer 6 and allow it access to the web via zonealarm you open port 80 and this is how such things gain access to your (our) systems. Its worth bearing this in mind, one way to help prevent the worst effects of this is to lock down your browser settings in IE or to use an alternative browser product like NoTrax (which is a fantastic product, very fast but bye its very nature prevents no malware any access).

**Glad to hear you managed to kill the spyware programs & files.

Ivan