cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware Required for Multiple IP's

N/A

I've been using F9 for a while now and only just found these forums so thought i'd post a question that i've always had since i signed up.

I want to make use of the multiple IP addresses available but im not sure what hardware i require. Is there anyone using the boards that can advise me on what hardware i will need to do this?

Just to make sure im clear, i have a couple of xbox's and desktop PC's, laptops, etc. I want to be able to give each XBOX a static fully routed IP. But at the moment i use a ZyXEL ADSL modem with built in switch so every PC or XBOX gets a LAN ip at the minute.

Thanks, Steve.
8 REPLIES
N/A

Options

Hello Steve,

There is two ways you could do this, a) change the ADSL Modem for a broadband router (many of the SOHO ADSL routers come with 4 or more ports for ethernet,etc and some include builtin firewalls & some also have a DHCP server which might be of use to you?) but this is probably the most expensive option but its still a good one.

b) You could keep your current broadand modem (just for ADSL access) and add your various devices to a home network using CAT5 cabling (ethernet if XBOX allows this? I have no idea if it does) and a simple 8 port or 10 port HUB or 10/100 switch (such as those made by 3COM or Netgear etc). This is the lower cost option but might involve abit of learning to get it all correctly configured and working. But this option would allow mutiple private IP address on your network (well so would the first option).

**How or where you add your IP to an XBOX I've no idea you'll probably know better than me? is an XBOX networkable sounds like it is??

Ivan Smiley
N/A

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for your reply but not sure if i made my post clear. I used to be a network engineer installing and configuring networks for many well known companies. The only problem is we never covered multiple WAN IP's such as those that Force9 include in the accounts.

So for example if F9 assigned me the following:

and so on.

I would like to be able to assign 80.229.136.73 to XBOX 1, 80.229.136.74 to XBOX 2 and so on. I'm using a ZyXEL Prestige 652H/HW ADSL modem/router to connect all clients to the network.

So each client current gets assigned 192.168.0.x but i would like to change this to 80.229.136.x or whatever my IP range would be.

I''ve checked and checked through Google but the only methods i can find are all using some american connection method which isnt used in the UK - cant remember what its called.

XBOX's are networkable, theres a network socket in the back of each console that allows you to plug them into any network or system. They also support DHCP and static IP's so they are very easy to setup.

Thanks, Steven.
N/A

Replying again

Hello Steve,

After just having read your reply now I understand more clearly the nature of the problem. So what you really want is infact multiple static WAN facing IP's. I hope I'm NOT asking the totally obvious question here? couldnt F9 supply you with the required number of WAN IP's i.e. a small address range. But I dont think the IP's are the problem really like you say, its how to make mutiple devices visable on the WAN and I dont think a router alone will do this. The only thing I can think of is that you might be able to create a DMZ outside of your router in the public internet as if each device or XBOX was infact a webserver in concept. But then even if you could do this it occurrs to me that each device would be very vulnerable to attack's and so ideally your devices even with WAN IP's would need a firewall if possible.

**Wouldnt using your routers NAT's (Network Address Translation) or Port Forwarding get around this problem. You could still have mutiple IP's for each device. I just dont fully understand why you need these devices to have WAN facing IP's but I'm NOT a gamer so there might be some reason I have no idea about.

Ivan
N/A

Hi,

Its not so much a problem but more of a learning thing.

I've seen multiple WAN IP's on many ISP's but whenever i look into how to use them I can never find anything on the type of hardware required and so on.

So i thought i'd use my home network to see if i can get them setup and running.

I do want to run XBOX Live soon and most ISP's advertise a live service where you get 1 IP for XBOX and 1 for your desktop however i wanted to see if i can get these multiple WAN IP's running on my connection as we already have XBOX Live running on one of the other consoles and i wasnt sure if it would run both of them on NAT without causing any problems.

Thanks, Steven.
N/A

Yes a router DOES do this and from what I have read its relatively simple to setup.
See http://portal.f9.net.uk/support//adsl/broadband_networking1.shtml#nonat for how you setup the router I have.

HOWEVER, Force9 do NOT give enough IP addresses for it to be worth while.

Im not sure which package you are on but as far as I know they only give out 4 IPs. This actually only leaves you a single IP address usable for a machine visible to the ourside world as the other 3 are used for the network , broadcast, and router addresses.

However if you CAN get a block of 8 then you would have 5 you could use.

Im baffled why they bother giving anyone 4 IPs as the ONLY use I can think of is if you have a VPN that for some reason wont work over DMZ, 5+ would have been useful.
N/A

WAN IP's

Hi,

The reason for not giving out more IP address's might be due to availability or limited availability? just a thought.

Ivan
N/A

Im sure it is down to there not being enough spare.

You have to admit though that its hardly worth having 4 rather than 1 due to how you have to setup the routing. Im sure some of us would be willing to pay a little more just to have 6 or so, enough to have a couple of servers using the same port numbers (ie online gaming).
N/A

Hi Guys,

Sorry for my late reply - only just got round to finding the post again.

Thanks for the link to that guide. I'm actually using a ZyXEL Prestige box and just took a peak at the guide and see it mentions them in there as well.

I'll speak to F9 about more than 4 ip's but not sure if i'll get any.

Will let you know how things go.

Thanks.