cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Disc Support

N/A

Hard Disc Support

I want to incorporate Large hard disks on my PC, without upgrading the BIOS to accomodate this. Can someone tell me if a PCI RAID controller card will solve the problem?

Thanks,

Melanie
7 REPLIES
colorado
Dabbler

RE: Hard Disc Support

> I want to incorporate Large hard disks on my PC, without upgrading the BIOS to accomodate this. Can someone tell me if a PCI RAID controller card will solve the problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Melanie

Hi Melanie, Why not upgrade the bios?

Please repost with details on Motherboard, operating system and hard-drive, I may be able to offer some advise, or at least find someone who can help
--
Due to the current economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
N/A

Its a short term thing, a bios upgrade costs £40. Whilst thinking of getting a new pc in the next 12 mths a raid controller can be re used in the new machine, I can get one for a lot less cash. The trouble is I need storage space now for "live" .wav recordings

Melanie
shellsong
Grafter

I assume you mean that getting someone else to upgrade your BIOS costs £40? Why not just do it yourself?
All you need to do is download a new one from your motherboard manufacturer's site stick on a disk and boot from it in most cases. It's not something worth paying someone £40 for Wink.

N/A

No £40 for the kit to do it myself!!! My first thought was to flash the BIOS, but AWARD have sold out, guess what? No more downloads. Tried driverguide.com too no joy. I will however try the motherboards mnftrs website as you suggest. If this fails, I would still like to know the answer to my original question if someone could answer.
Thanks,

Melanie

colorado
Dabbler

> No £40 for the kit to do it myself!!! My first thought was to flash the BIOS, but AWARD have sold out, guess what? No more downloads. Tried driverguide.com too no joy. I will however try the motherboards mnftrs website as you suggest. If this fails, I would still like to know the answer to my original question if someone could answer.
> Thanks,
>
> Melanie
>
> Melanie, please tell us the make of your motherboard, I for one have never heard of a "kit" to update your Bios. Even if you have an old Pentium/Pentium2 mobo you will find the bios you need. As for the cost, its a few minutes download and a floppy disk.

By the way what size disk/disks do you have now, and what size do you want?

Regards
Kevin
--
Due to the current economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
shellsong
Grafter

Well, I'm not sure if RAID would do what you need. What RAID does is it weaves together different segments of different disks to provide what appears to be a single disk but is infact a series of smaller disks.
If you want a specific drive in, then I don't think this will work. But if you just want a total of a certain size this might be what you're looking for.
Example:

+ You have some data on a 60Gb hard drive which you need, but your BIOS doesn't support this size of drive. -- I don't think RAID will work.

+ You have a 40Gb hard drive but need an extra 20Gb -- You could use a RAID controller, but in this case why not just install a 20Gb drive as well as the 40Gb one as a slave?

But I am by no means an expert on RAID systems so I could be mistaken Smiley.
N/A

Thanks for all the support. . . .I have finally found the file to flash the BIOS. The FAQ page on the FIC website has exactly the same problem answered. So here goes. . .
Thanks again!
Melanie