Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP its getting worse

cannylad
Grafter

HELP its getting worse

Hi,
Does tweaking the settings do anything to improve this service? What are the best settings for Win XP and is there software to help me do this?
A speed test run from the Plusnet site showed my speed is 103.40 kbps and a download speed of 12.93 kbps.
Now if that isn't ***** I don't know what is.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

--
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: HELP its getting worse

> Hi,
> Does tweaking the settings do anything to improve this service? What are the best settings for Win XP and is there software to help me do this?
> A speed test run from the Plusnet site showed my speed is 103.40 kbps and a download speed of 12.93 kbps.
> Now if that isn't ***** I don't know what is.
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks
>
> Try http://www.dslreports.com/stest to test your speeds and see what they are?

It might help, plus the site is pretty good.
> --
>

--
N/A

RE: HELP its getting worseREPLY

> Hi,
> Does tweaking the settings do anything to improve this service? What are the best settings for Win XP and is there software to help me do this?
> A speed test run from the Plusnet site showed my speed is 103.40 kbps and a download speed of 12.93 kbps.
> Now if that isn't ***** I don't know what is.
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks
>
>
> --
>
Hi,
Sorry! but I did give the exact precise details of this tweak on the forum a few days ago and its now disappeared off the bottom of the list. But heres what you need to do,inorder to change the MTU value that's been talked about you need to edit the windows registry. Having said that,this is only something that should be attempted bye experienced users who are confident with the registry editor. I dont mean this to sound patronising at all (not my intention)but you can potentially screw up your entire windows configuration with just a few mouse clicks if your not careful.

Having said all that you need to change the MTU from the default windows value of 1500 to 1458 (I changed mine to 1453 and it works fine in WinXP).

IR

--
N/A

> Hi,
> Sorry! but I did give the exact precise details of this tweak on the forum a few days ago and its now disappeared off the bottom of the list. But heres what you need to do,inorder to change the MTU value that's been talked about you need to edit the windows registry. Having said that,this is only something that should be attempted bye experienced users who are confident with the registry editor. I dont mean this to sound patronising at all (not my intention)but you can potentially screw up your entire windows configuration with just a few mouse clicks if your not careful.
>
> Having said all that you need to change the MTU from the default windows value of 1500 to 1458 (I changed mine to 1453 and it works fine in WinXP).
>
> IR
>
Hi, If you want to ensure that you are configured correctly then take a look at www.broadbandreports.com/tweaks
There is also a program called Drtcp which will make the necessary changes to the registary for you although you may want to safe guard yourself by backing up your registary before hand.

I made the changes to Rwin and MTU as recommended and get a 100% transmission throughput when my ADSL is working but that's another story. My Rwin setting is 14180 & MTU is 1458 for WindowsXP on a 512 kbps connection.

For info I was recommended to this site by F9 technical support.
Cheers
Geoff

--
Geoff Brown
cannylad
Grafter

Hi,
Thanks everyone for the help and info, I will post a reply if it improves the performance.
Eric
--