Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grrrrr @ Ebay Con artists

N/A

Ok,

I need to let of some steam here.
Why is it that when you list anything of any value on ebay, especially electricals, you get an overwhelming amount of con artists hovering around.

I did all the usual,
-> Selected only the uk in the ebay listing as destination for shipping
-> Stated in my listing I would not Sip outside of the UK UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES
etc etc

I then find that the item I was selling was bought just mere hours after it was listed. Great I thought, thats one thing sold to get money back into the house. Then I opened the emails and hmm low and behold what should I find but this;

Hello Seller,

Compliment of the Season to you and your family,Am Mrs Genny . I live
in United Kingodom recently in China for a business trip.
I saw your item display on Ebay and am intrested in Buying it
for my Son in Nigeria,Africa as a Birthday gift and i will appreciate
if the item can be with my son Before 18th January 2006.
Below is My son Address:
Name..........Ismail Ogunbayo
Address....... 8 Alhaji Bakare Street
Ojodu Berger
Lagos State
Nigeria
Am waiting for you to mail me your Name and your Paypal mail
account including the total cost of any of these courier
company(Via DHL/UPS/fedEX )delivery Only.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks.

So not only does this person seem to think they are special, but they dont seem to be able to comprehend simple english and its meaning.
So me being the person I am did a little further digging to find out that the address used to register then account was none other than

City: worthing
County: default
Phone: 0356 78201998

oh and the registration time and date was

Registered Since: Saturday, 14 Jan, 2006 02:07:07 GMT

a mere 40 minutes prior to clicking on the Buy It Now button for my auction.

So now I am left in a situation where by I have been charged some £15 by ebay as a valuation fee and what appears to be a clear attempt at a con.

Here is my reply to the email that was sent to us by the bidder;

Hello there,

I appreciate you buying this item, however it was clearly stated in the listing
that I will not under any circumstances send items outside of the United Kingdom.
Should you need to send it out to your son you are best to do this yourself.
In order for me to send the item to you on monday to arrive for tuesday please
make a payment of £498.75 to XxXxXxXx@XxXxXxXxX by means of paypal. ( this
includes a 5% paypal surcharge ).

Once I have received the payment in full ( ie, no waiting time required for
clearance of echeques or from transfer from your bank account ) I will send you
the item which in turn you may then send to your son etc.

Many regards,

Firstly, does anyone think I was being too harsh in that email? ( I personally dont think I was, to be honest I think I wasnt harsh enough and should have set a deadline ).

Secondly what is everyones advise on this matter. I would like to regain what ebay have charged me, I have never had to deal with this before during all my years in using ebay lol. So I guess I have just hit a learning curve.

Regards,
30 REPLIES
N/A

Tom,

With the level of fruad etc eminating from Nigera at present, I reckon you did just the right thing.

We get daily enquiries from Nigera to supply hardware and I have no doubt that your suspicions here are correct.

Is there no way, in these circumstances, that ebay will forgo the fee? Forgive my lack of Ebay knowledge.

Your email was not harsh, it was fully justified.
holdtight
Grafter

Hi Tom
I agree with Mark on this one definately fraudulent and as far as im concerned your email wasnt harsh enough

As a regular ebay seller i see this a lot and as you say especially with electricals of any worth, unfortunately its no good reporting them as ebay wont give a monkeys and as far as i can see your only course of action is to file a non paying bidder report against them if they dont pay this does take time but you will get your final valuation fee back but not your listing fee`s

BEWARE if they do pay you by way of paypal its not as secure as you might think as ive had payments frozen after ive sent items out when they have paid using fraudulent means IE stolen credit / debit cards but the banks and paypal are not quick enough by a long way to notify you and ive had payments frozen and removed from my account some three or four weeks after payment has been made and lost the payment and the item at the same time

personally i wouldnt go any further with these people you are within your rights as you clearly stated your T&C`s in your listing and they wont kick up a fuss as they are fraudsters trying it on, you will have to wait seven days after the auction end to file for a FVF payback but do it you will get it back

there are procedures in place within ebay to report these people and you could give it a try you may be lucky and get a good response but ive not found it to be of any use when trying to get your money back

Good luck with it and if you need any further help PM me !

Bill.
N/A

Hi you two,

Cheers for the advice given. I think another email is in order stating that I have had time to wake up and consider my situation and that the terms and conditions were not followed therefore making the purchse void.
The problem with this is though that I have not followed the ebay guidelines at trying to resolve it with the buyer and that ebay may stand by their decision not to refund me with the final value fees despite a clear breach of T&C's.

I suppose I will have to leave it 3 days and wait and see what happens, then file a non paying bidders report.
Infact I think an email to ebay asking for advice would be an even better step as I would then be following their guidelines depending on the response I obtained from the reply.

Well goodness knows how I then have a Buy it now on the auction and avoid people like this from using it which then prolongs the sale of the item Sad

Damn those idiots and fraudsters, damn them!!

Regards,
N/A

Caveat Emptor :!:
Community Veteran

Buyer Beware. But Tom was selling? :?
Community Veteran

caveat venditor or caveat vendor then Wink
N/A

Well you are forgetting something major here. If she is not a UK resident here Paypal account will most likely not be either. The reason this effects the transaction is simple, unless your are dealing with a verified member on Paypal you have no Seller Protection.

Once you receive the £500 notes in your Paypal account, it can be taken back upto a month later and Paypal will merely remove it or put your account into the red. They will then send you emails, letters, phone calls etc telling you to sort out the negate balance otherwise they will be taking you to court etc etc

If I was you I would not use buy it now at all on eBay the majority of the time it is only used by scammers on expensive items. If your selling something for less than a ton then sure buy it now is a good idea but anything above that your heading for situations like you are in now.

Remember that Paypal is seriously flawed because anybody sending payment to you via Paypal using a Credit Card can have their card classed as stolen probably months later and all the payments will be reversed leaving you screwed unless Paypal back you up. And in most cases they dont back you up because their T&Cs just screw you over.

Its happened to me in the past, since then I wont use Paypal whatsoever, the funny thing was they said I had no Seller Protection because the Buyer was not US Verified. Yep, thats right - US Verified. When Paypal started you couldnt even verify yourself so millions of people were making transactions totally unsafe and still alot of European people are today.

Trust me, dont accept any money, dont accept paypal. Re-List your item with no buy it now and try and reverse the current auction that has ended. Although I dont think you will be seeing those fee's eBay has taken.
Community Veteran

As an experienced ebayer, I agree. It's best to end the transaction as soon as possible. Once done you can claim the final valuation fees back (not the listing fee) from Ebay, but there is a set process for doing this.

Check this link and search Ebay's help pages for more info.
http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/tp/unpaid-item-process.html
LiamM
Grafter

I believe they will relist your item at no extra cost. Tis what they did for me, I sold a phone and someone in Nigeria won the auction when I stated that I would not ship overseas.
N/A

Daniel,

What was that meant to mean? lol
N/A

Everyone else,

Right, thank you for your advice and info. I am taking this all onboard and will be following things to ensure I have the fee's refunded to me and so I can relist the item.

I will take into account the Buy It Now problem and learn from it and probably wont use it again unless it is for something you couldnt physically send to nigeria or something that isnt worth the hassle.

It simply pains me that Ebay, not matter how often dragged into watchdog and all other forms of media could comfortably sit back and not give a single cahoot. What makes me laugh even more is they only really endorse paypal as being a method of payment and only then will they offer full protection, but with what phearfactor has stated above it is obvious that the only thing they could really care about is their annual % increase in annual takings.

Oh well, time to sort this mess out and try and sell it again Sad
Community Veteran

Daniel,

What was that meant to mean? lol

Someone put Caveat Emptor which as I suspect you know means buyer beware. i was pointing out it wasn't really applicable since you were selling not buying ;-)
N/A

Daniel,

Ahh, actually I will be truthfull here and make myself look as thick as two short planks as I didnt know the meaning of this Caveat Emptor ( I do now though Smiley ).

Not to worry I have contacted ebay and told them the story, vital points included were;

1. Asked to send outside of UK Especially Nigeria
2. Buyer had the account registered in Netherlands
3. Buyer registered the account just a mere 40 minutes before purchasing
4. Requested to pay by paypal when it was not even noted as being an accepted payment option
5. A copy of the email from the buyer to me

and also a lengthy err explanation how I feel this is a con and want my money back so I can relist it Smiley

Hope this will help me in my bid for a refund lol.

Regards,
N/A

AAAAARRRRRggggggghhhhhhhhhhh

Just refreshed the my ebay page and err up pops a lovely message;

eBay Note: This user is no longer registered on eBay.

I should have a clear cut case now with ebay I hope :?

Regards,