cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grid.Org

N/A

Grid.Org

I would like to ask all Plus.Net users to think about the following cause.

As one esteemed member of our great forum knows, Grid.org is a very worthwhile thing to do indeed.

It involves downloading a small piece of software (1.52Mb) and this software takes the idle time on your processor and uses it to do some calculations with the software.

I have set up a team on Grid.org called Plus.Net which is for users of plus.net, but do not restrict it to just yourself or one computer.#

Download the software and registration here: http://www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm

You can access the team here: http://www.grid.org/services/teams/team.htm?id=8B532F39-66B9-44E3-A75F-6AE189A9EABD

I hope that users will want to help this wonderful cause by just donating their idle time.

Craig
292 REPLIES
N/A

Grid.Org

I'm in...it'll give my computer something to think about when it's not serving files Wink
N/A

Grid.Org

And its a team effort... Cheesy

I don't think Plus.Net would endorse it though... :?

Craig
Community Veteran

Grid.Org

I thought the title looked familiar - Thanks for the promotion Craig Wink

If any one wants any info on this project or has any questions feel free to post here or Private message me and I'll be able to answer them.

The grid.org forum is very popular with fellow crunchers (the title we give those people running the software) and has built up a nice self-help community there - I'm also one of the founding moderators (Orbi-tel) and any fellow crunchers and forum frequenters will probably know me there. Although I have taken a small leave of absence for the moment I still check back there regularly. Don't forget to check out the community maintained FAQ forum there where you will see a number of my tutorals/FAQs.

I've been running the projects since April 2001 and still have 5 PCs crunching away 24/7 for the cause.
N/A

Grid.Org

promotion being what Peter, the fact I've started it or the fact your the esteemed member of the forums? :lol:
N/A

Grid.Org

Who says advertising does not work? I (unusually) looked ar General Chit Chat, being an army man I was disappointed) :lol:
However I was intrigued by Craig's post, never heard of grid org, have now joined.

Thanks Craig. Hm, I AM left handed.
N/A

Grid.Org Update

Hey Everyone.

just over a day and we have 3 members!

It is a good start but we do need more members.

Even if you are a new person, or are already on Grid.org, you just need to join the team.

If you're new to Grid.org, download it here: http://www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm

If you're not new, or if you wish to register as part of the unnofficial Plus.net team, then go here: http://www.grid.org/services/teams/team.htm?id=8B532F39-66B9-44E3-A75F-6AE189A9EABD

I hope you consider this very worthwhile cause, and it just uses idle computer time!

Craig
Community Veteran

Grid.Org

Well I've also decided to join, been meaning to give grid.org a try for a while.
N/A

Grid.Org

I'd also like to suggest to Plus.net to put all their computers that they can onto Grid.org, it would be an example that plus.net arent just a fab ISP, they care about people too... Cheesy

Craig
N/A

Grid.Org

I wish more companies would follow this line and make it possible to help research with Grid based processing.

I've been on grid. org , since I first saw the info on Peter's footer. Cheesy

Aaron
N/A

Grid.Org

I'd also like to suggest to Plus.net to put all their computers that they can onto Grid.org

Maybe you could ask in the Ideas forum? Worth a try I suppose Smiley
Community Veteran

Grid.Org

I was just thinking thats a good idea.
I might stick it on some of the servers where I work generally during the weekend they dont do much and they could do something useful.

Chris
N/A

Grid.Org

Good fa55dsl Cheesy

I can see the Plus.net Grid team expanding, i may start a website detailing the scores and whats going on with it!

If even 1% of plus.net user's go onto it and use the software regularly, its still a good result.

It has been suggested to Plus.net to put their computers on it and onto the Plus.net team, so we shall wait and see!

Craig

Join the team!
N/A

Grid.Org

It should be installed on all school computers, they leave 'em on over night doing nothing anyway....
N/A

Grid.Org

and who's going to foot the bill for the electric used Wink