cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Giganews transfer rate problem

N/A

Hey - anyone else here use Giganews?

Before I moved to f9 I could download at around 390kb/s on a 4mbit line. Now I can only manage 15kb/s on my force9 2mbit line. When I first moved to f9 a few month ago I could manage 140kb/s and up, but for the last month or two the transfer rate has just been getting lower and lower. This goes for both the european giganews servers, and the ones in the US. The account is also a premier one and I never had any problems until I moved ISP.
4 REPLIES
N/A

have a read of the customer feedback section, they have been a lot of posts from disgruntled users regarding usenet, both F9s and external ones.

Currently usenet is classed as 'bronze' and is heavily throttled (or shaped as F9 say).

regards
mike
N/A

Thanks

Thanks for the information. You know, it would be really "handy" if there was a section outlining how F9 are shaping their traffic. I feel a little in the dark as to what else they're 'shaping'. I also feel cheated as they've destroyed a service I am paying for.
N/A

They keep you in the dark deliberately.... if they publicsed it properly they know they will loose a lot of customers.

The more I read about things like this the more I'm thinking of leaving even though I'm so far I don't feel particularly affected by the recent changes (yet). No sense in sitting around until it does affect me.
N/A

Hmm

Well I'm considering leaving for Zen, apparently they do no traffic shaping and there are no caps on bandwidth. More expensive but at least I'll be in control of my own transfer rates. Seems to me that the trend is to cripple any service (usenet, p2p networks etc) that could let someone make full use of their connection. Why do they limit people on a per-service basis, and not limit each user to a certain transfer rate instead?