cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

George Best

N/A

George Best

Has died - Cry - Such a shame he will be remembered for other things more than his awesome footballing skills.

R.I.P
18 REPLIES
N/A

George Best

Rest In Peace George., may your spirit soar in to the back of the net.
vic_newey
Grafter

George Best

I wonder what anyone waiting for a life saving liver transplant think of how George wasted his after signing a pledge not to drink alcohohol in order to go on a waiting list for a transplant .
In order to give him life you can consider that 2 people lost theirs, the transplant donor & the person that could have been saved had they been given the opportunity to receive that same liver Evil
N/A

George Best

Much as he was good at football, I don't feel any sorrow for his death, he brought that upon himself and like the poster said previous, he took the chance of life away from someone else.
N/A

George Best

"The argument about the liver going to somebody who wouldn't have abused it, how do you know ? It could have gone to somebody with an equally destructive addiction, who could have abused just as much, so its no real argument is it ?"

"Let us not forget that George also did loads of work for charity, a great deal of it went unpublicised. He would have raised hundreds of thousands, if not millions towards all sorts of charities, which in itself could have saved many lives. I was watching an episode of Bullseye the other week on Sky. George was the guest darts player, he scored about 160, afterwards he told Jim Bowen "I didn't play very well so I'll chuck in another £100 to the charity"."

I don't suppose either of you have an addiction or ever had, and are the kind of people to not know how hard it is to try and give something up, even though you want to but can't - How many people do you know that smoke and could stop at any moment they chose? I know of none.
vic_newey
Grafter

George Best

Had George died of his original liver problem without having had a transplant I would view this differently.

Are you aware of the numbers of people desperately awaiting liver transplants ?
People with liver deteriation due to alcohol abuse are rarely considered for transplant & if so then they have to undertake a solemn oath not to resume drinking.
Even then they will go to the bottom of the waiting list. Rarely if ever are alcoholics given a transplant so your point about someone else abusing the liver in question is not valid. It should be very clear why this is so.
In truth he reverted to type & abused his wife & smashed everything up & went off with other women which I suppose in some peoples eyes would make him jack the lad
N/A

George Best

i totally agree with chrisofcov, bestie has raised thousands for charity,

i too saw that episode of bullseye and there was no need at all for him to donate some of his own money, but he did anyway.

he obviously just could not face the rest of his life without a drink, what a shame.

ps. you can't beat a bit of bully
N/A

George Best

vicnewey - I'm not getting into a debate about it, it's pointless and will end up going round in circles, all I have to say on it now is remember the man for the good things he done and not the mistakes he made.

grake - If you like bullseye you will love this - http://bullseye.itv.com/
Community Veteran

George Best

something spooky today :?

At 12:55 I had this urge to turn on the radio and listen to the 1 "O"clock news.
Halfway through the news bulletin it was anounced that he had died.

Later today another news item said that he died at 12:55.

Most Odd :roll:
madswitcher
Grafter

George Best

Wilst George will be missed, if only because of the memories of the great footballer he was, it sickens me that there are other things going on in the world that deserve more attention by the media.

Mike
N/A

George Best

I look at it both ways, yeah he did a lot for football etc, and should be praised for that, but at the same time that liver was a waste, and he was a wife beater which is TOTALLY inexcusable...

One death today however has saddened me a bit, and that is of the Actor Pat Morita (Mr Myagi) he will be missed more by some I think

Full Story Here
channel
Grafter

George Best

George Best: A footballing genius who had more raw talent in his little toe than the combined wisdom of all of those who have popped up to have a go about the waste of a liver.

It's true that he was a chronic alcoholic and that was his fatal flaw. But how people can come on here and claim that he didn't deserve a liver is beyond me. The system dictates who gets a liver and who doesn't. At the end of the day, demand exceeds supply. I trust that all those of you criticising George Best have made damn sure that your own livers get donated to worthy causes going forward. Maybe you should add a request that your liver can only be donated to someone who is teetotal; that might make you feel even happier.

What's actually interesting about George Best is how he, as the most talented footballer of his generation, could have led what was ultimately such a tragic life. In truth, he was the first footballer to have a showbiz lifestyle and as such was charting untested waters. It's a tragedy that such a pioneering role should have fallen to someone with such weakness; but of such matters, legends are born.

" I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

George Best
1946 - 2005
N/A

George Best

Chanel, whilst I respect your view, what about his wife beating.....whats the excuse for that none, as far as I can tell, his liver I am OVERLY concerned about, apart from the fact that one person died to donate it to him, and MAYBE someone else died who didnt get one because of him....but the main thing is his wife beating, and ANYONE that does that is a lowlife creep in my opinion!
N/A

George Best

This is not nit picking, but the way you try to put that across was as though the person was given no choice but to hand over their liver for the cause, when in fact they had already died, and it just so happened that Best got the liver.

But hey the man is still warm, so lets rip into him in anyway we can.

Opinions are like arseholes everybody has one.
N/A

George Best

lol yeah, and discussions in this context are always bound to be semi heated....but hey, at least we aint calling each other losers and smacktards or anything yeah......no slanging match going on here