cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frontpage background not working

N/A

My website looks great on my PC but on others the background (grey moons) do not display.
www.injamatt.co.uk
5 REPLIES
N/A

I went to your page, and I couldn't see the "moon" background either, just a black background. (I am using the Firefox browser.)

I had a look at the page source, and the reson was immediately apparent. If you seach for the "body" element, you'll see it includes a "background" attribute:

background="file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/w/My%20Documents/My%20Webs/injamatt/mooninjamatt.gif"

The problem is that the background is specified as a file sitting on the C: drive, in a directory called "Documents and Settings\w\My Documents\My Webs\injamatt".

That resolves perfectly happily when you're sitting at your computer, but for any other computer (including mine), there may be no such thing as a "C: drive", and/or the directory specified and/or the file specified. In other words, the background image can't be found.

You should make sure the image file is located on the webserver, and change the reference so that it points to it properly.
N/A

Path Problem

Hi,

In other words to put it in simple language its a simple path problem,

The HTML body element wrote:
background="file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/w/My%20Documents/My%20Webs/injamatt/mooninjamatt.gif"

Thus the solution is that you have to write the full path as something like this:-
background=file http://www.domainname.co.uk/mywebsite/mooninjamatt.gif

Hope that clarify's it for you, its one of those common errors we've all made at some point in website creation.

Ivan

N/A

Thanks for the instructions
Now the world can see my beautiful moons
(I don't know why I didn't think to check the code in the first place)

Anas
N/A

Yes, very good! Your moon looks remarkably similar to "our" moon!

Perhaps Ivan will tell you how hot/cold the moon gets....
N/A

Moon What Moon?

Hi,

Nop!! I've no idea how hot or cold the moon gets, I havent been there recelty!, 've no idea what task is talking about have you??

Oh!! bye the way watch out for MS front page inserting its own coding into your pages, it has this extremely annoying habit of doing this and the other problem with FP is that it works great when you make pages and view them with MS IE browsers but often doesnt display pages correctly in other browsers, notably Netscape or any of the other alternatives such as Firefox,etc. Dont you just love MIcrosoft and Uncle Bill & Co (bless their cotton socks!!).

:lol: