Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fridays Joke

chrisco
Grafter

Fridays Joke

THE MYSTERY OF LANGUAGE AND COMPUTERS

A Spanish teacher was explaining to her class that in Spanish,
unlike English, nouns are designated as either masculine or feminine.

"House" for instance, is feminine: "la casa."

"Pencil," however, is masculine: "el lapiz."

A student asked, "What gender is 'computer'?"

Instead of giving the answer, the teacher split the class into two
groups, male and female, and asked them to decide for themselves whether "computer" should be a masculine or a feminine noun.

Each group was asked to give four reasons for its recommendation.

The men's group decided that "computer" should definitely be of the
feminine gender ("la computadora"), because:

1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic;

2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers

is incomprehensible to everyone else;

3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory for
possible later retrieval;

4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself
spending
half your paycheck on accessories for it.

(THIS GETS BETTER!)

The women's group, however, concluded that computers should be
Masculine ("el computador"), because:

1. In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on;

2. They have a lot of data but still can't think for themselves;

3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time
they ARE the problem;

4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that if you had waited

a little longer, you could have gotten a better model.

The women won. Cheesy
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Fridays Joke

number 4 on the womens side is a little to close to home for me :/

Just one little thing I noticed although it doesn't really matter seeing as it's a joke. In spanish computer is El Ordenador as opposed to computadora.
Alecto
Grafter

Fridays Joke

¡Nitpicker!
N/A

Fridays Joke

¡hombre pedante!
chrisco
Grafter

Fridays Joke

Just one little thing I noticed although it doesn't really matter seeing as it's a joke. In spanish computer is El Ordenador as opposed to computadora.

They are both correct, according to my Oxford Spanish dictionary el ordenador is Castilian or "high" Spanish but la computadora is Latin American Spanish & to redress the balance one's masculine & the oher feminine which is a big disappointment for the ladies as it's kind of taken the edge of the joke, Sad thanks for that Daniel keep your nitpicking to yourself in future!! Wink
N/A

Fridays Joke

Ah crumbs - just realised I broke a forum rule by posting in a foreign language.

(incidentally the translation is "pedantic man")

/off to await a wrist slap Shockedops:
Alecto
Grafter

Fridays Joke

Well in spite of nitpicking, I thought it was funny. :lol:

But also interesting in that apart from the spending one, you could reverse all the characteristics and they'd be equally true. Wink
vic_newey
Grafter

Fridays Joke

This is a joke Tongue

A man walks into a restaurant with a full-grown ostrich behind him. The waitress asks for their orders. The man says, "A hamburger, fries and a coke," and turns to the ostrich, "What's yours?"

"I'll have the same," says the ostrich. A short time later the waitress returns with the order.

"That will be £9.40 please," she says and the man reaches into his pocket and pulls out the exact amount for payment.

The next day, the man and the ostrich come again and the man says, "A hamburger, fries, and a coke."

The ostrich says, "I'll have the same."

Again the man reaches into his pocket and pays with exact amount. For a while this becomes routine until the two enter again later in the week. “The usual?” asks the waitress

"No, this time it's a treat, so I will have a steak, baked potato, and salad," says the man.

Shortly the waitress brings the order and says, "That will be £32.62." Once again the man pulls the exact amount out of his pocket and places it on the table.

The waitress can't hold back her curiosity any longer. "Excuse me, sir. How do you manage to always come up with the exact money from your pocket every time?"

“Well," says the man, "several years ago I was clearing the attic and found an old lamp. When I rubbed it a Genie appeared and offered me two wishes. My first wish was that if I ever had to pay for anything, I would just put my hand in my pocket and the right amount of money would always be there."

"That's brilliant!" says the waitress. "Most people would wish for a couple of million pounds or something, but you'll always be as rich as you want for as long as you live!"

"That's right. Whether it's a pint of milk or a Rolls Royce, the exact money is always there," says the man.

The waitress asks, "But, sir, what's with the ostrich?"

The man sighs, pauses, and replies, "My second wish was for a tall bird with a big *rse and long legs who agrees with everything I say."
Tongue
chrisco
Grafter

Fridays Joke

Serve him right for being greedy!!