cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Upgrade question

N/A

Free Upgrade question

I have read the email announcing the free speed increase but im a little disheartened as I am not going to benefit from this great opportunity as a previous attempt to increase from 512k to 1Mb was declined by BT as my line wasnt suitable.

Does anyone know if BT will be doing something to help people like me by fixing our lines? I have spoken to them in the past but they refuse to help as my broadband isnt supplied by them. I must say that if I have to be a BT broadband customer to receive this offer then I would have to move over to them which would not be ideal at all as im happy with F9.
8 REPLIES
N/A

Free Upgrade question

I have recently upgraded from 512 to 1mb & my line is right on the limit for 1mb, which causes me some problem.

The loop loss is what limits your line for higher bandwidth, and as a part of the recent changes I have been told that upper limits are to be reviewed.
I have a loop loss of 63db, and the limit is 60-65 for 1mb which is why i have my connection drop out from time to time.

The first time I requested 512 i was rejected, so i unplugged all phones but one in the house & was accepted 2nd time. You might want to do the same and have your line tested again.

hope this helps
N/A

Free Upgrade question

Thanks for that adice there. I will try again.
N/A

Free Upgrade question

What is this free upgrade everybody is talking about?
People seem to be mentioning e-mails. What e-mail I didn't receive an e-mail?

Can someone please let me in on what is going on?
N/A

Free Upgrade question

This is the e-mail that was sent to all F9 customers on the 17th Feb 2005:

Great news! Free speed upgrades to all Force9 customers
--------------------------------------------------------

Following BT's recent announcement that they plan to increase broadband speeds up to 8Mb across their local exchange network, we are delighted to offer free speed upgrades and a brand new product range for our customers.

From April, you will be able to take advantage of these faster broadband speeds as they become available, giving you a free-of-charge upgrade to the fastest broadband available.

BT is working hard to ensure that as many people as possible are able to receive the maximum available speeds. Further, BT Wholesale's changes enable us to determine our customers' actual speed setting, instead of this being set at BT's local exchange.

1) Speed upgrades to all fixed-cost broadband products
------------------------------------------------------

If you're currently on Broadband Home Premier, you will be able to choose the speed you operate your connection at - from 512kb right up to 8Mb where available.

The Premier product range offers a clean 50:1 contended DSL connection with no network restrictions or traffic shaping applied, so you can run whatever applications you need - at any time of the day - with no worries about speed or performance.

In conjunction with this, Force9 is implementing a 'fair usage' policy in which we will deliver a commitment to our customers, ensuring platform performance is not disproportionately affected by a small minority of extremely heavy users.

The table below shows how prices will relate to usage, rather than speed.

Broadband Premier Fair Usage Total 'Fair Usage' Achievable
Product On Peak Levels Inc Off Peak (based on 2Mb)

£21.99 30GB 230GB
£29.99 50GB 250GB
£39.99 75GB 275GB
£49.99 100GB 300GB
£59.99 125GB 325GB

Off-peak usage between 1am through 8am is excluded from 'fair usage' levels, so if you schedule downloads 'off-peak' you can achieve a far higher usage with no restrictions.

Further, only download data is monitored so uploads are not currently restricted in any way.

2) Speed increases for PAYG products
------------------------------------

Force9's Broadband PAYG products (formerly known as "Lite") will also be extended to include 4Mb and 8Mb speeds from April. At £14.99 per month, and £1.50 per GB thereafter, speeds of up to 8Mb will be a fantastic value product option for light and infrequent Broadband users.

3) Introducing Broadband Plus
-----------------------------

Broadband Plus will be available from April. This product range will complement our existing Broadband Pay As You Go and Premier products, and will offer unrivalled price value.

Broadband Plus is designed to meet the needs of the average Broadband user who wants fast email and web browsing. More advanced applications will be more suitable on the Broadband Pay As You Go and Premier products. A fair usage system does not need to apply to Broadband Plus due to the way the product is designed and network managed.

Broadband Plus has a lower service-providing cost than the Premier products, which will be reflected in the pricing we will publish for Broadband Plus in the near future.

'Broadband Pay As You Go', 'Broadband Plus' and 'Broadband Premier', are 3 simple product options that offer something for everyone, delivering market-leading value, quality of service and a great customer experience.

Further details on your specific connection and product delivery will be communicated to you in the near future.

We look forward to continuing to provide you with market-leading broadband services and fantastic value prices.

Kind regards,
Force9 Customer Support
N/A

Free Upgrade question

Thanks for posting the e-mail.

I guess they didn't send it to all there customers because I certainly didn’t receive anything.

Does this upgrade apply to residential customers only?
N/A

Free Upgrade question

I have recently upgraded from 512 to 1mb & my line is right on the limit for 1mb, which causes me some problem.

The loop loss is what limits your line for higher bandwidth, and as a part of the recent changes I have been told that upper limits are to be reviewed.
I have a loop loss of 63db, and the limit is 60-65 for 1mb which is why i have my connection drop out from time to time.

The first time I requested 512 i was rejected, so i unplugged all phones but one in the house & was accepted 2nd time. You might want to do the same and have your line tested again.

hope this helps

Im 4.65km from my exchange and i have 2mbit broadband, all the test sites say i may have problems getting 1mbit, bt i get full rate 2mbit aqnd i hope i will be able to get 4mbit. Is there anyway i can have my loop loss tested for free?

Edit: just did a bandwidth test on ZDnet and i scored 1934.6 Kbps, which is all i could expect no matter where i was located.
N/A

Free Upgrade question

I have a router which tells me my loop loss but I think f9 support should be able to tell you, as they have the results from the orig test.

Not sure about business accounts F9 support should be able to help.

F9 confirmed to me that the loop loss limits are being reviewed by BT as a part of the new package shake up, but no date has been set.
I would expect that from April onwards they will be rolling things out.
N/A

Free Upgrade question

I would certainly hope we are given the chance to push the envelope a little regarding speeds next month, seeing as it will no longer be an issue of costing money to change the line speed but merely a mouse click away. The only pitfall is F9 might refuse to do it based on complaints for customers if they then have problems. Still maybe not, seeing as again they could just drop the speed back to standard during tests so you could check if its a speed issue or something else causing a problem.