cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Teddyphone

N/A

Free Teddyphone

I subscribe to the freebies NG, and whilst some of it is uselss, this I thought was brilliant, and extremely valuable to parents of small kids.

A FREE PHONE, NO LINE RENTAL, for your kids, it cant download from the net, or text, it can only phone 4 numbers, it has a kid locator thing in it.

Further Info

Can a mod make this a sticky for a while, save it disappearing, I do think its quite important?
10 REPLIES
N/A

Free Teddyphone

Wow thats amazing and a killer Xmas present gift for a kiddo.

Shame all my nieces are too old for this now, could of saved on quite a bit of money lol
N/A

Free Teddyphone

it seems a great idea but I don't quite understand the payment, in their Ts&Cs they mention setting up a Direct Debit but if it's PAYG why (and indeed how is it possible to) pay through DD?
If you've ordered one for yourself, do you hapen to know which provider it's through and how much does it cost to text the 4 numbers to the phone?
N/A

Free Teddyphone

I imagine that would all be explained in the bumph that comes with the phone mate
LiamM
Grafter

Free Teddyphone

I pay my current phone bill by direct debit and the amounts are variable. Nothing wrong with variable payments direct debits.

But I cant find the catch., These won't be cheap to produce, and with no monthly payment and calls at local rates, how are they going to make any money.
N/A

Free Teddyphone

But I cant find the catch., These won't be cheap to produce, and with no monthly payment and calls at local rates, how are they going to make any money.

It must be government funded because its clearly playing against the governments recommendations of not aiming mobiles at children between 4-9 years of age. Although the government probably wont admit to this as it will probably cause a ton of hassle.

Then again looking at this quote

The Teddyfone uses mobile phone technology but emissions are up to ten times less than a conventional mobile phone (0.2 w/kg SAR value), the lowest in existence.

It seems to be a hell of a lot better than actually giving them a Nokia or something.
LiamM
Grafter

Free Teddyphone

Are you sure this is for real? With it being 10 times less powerful, thats 10 times more chance of receiving no signal.
N/A

Free Teddyphone

N/A

Free Teddyphone

The terms and conditions are very vague. However there is a mimimum call charge of £5 per month plus VAT, and there is something about a minimum term. Also no mention of actual call charges, only that they are available from the service provider. Not sure who the network provider is, they don't seem to want to say.
I didn't read anymore, seems like a load of rubbish to me.
Community Veteran

Free Teddyphone

Its probably not government funded at all. They can afford to give a few thousand of these away - as they will at least get some money back on the calls, or at least a one off payment from whomever the calls are routed through.

Once enough are out there, they now full well that kids of five and over can be as persuasive as any others, so they can then start to charge £25+ and thousands more parents will cave in and get one.

Hey presto, instant money. Unless the government move to stop it, expect them to see them in the hands of kids near you very soon.
N/A

Free Teddyphone

It was lambasted on yesterdays afternoon and evening news - channel 4 and ITN. The MD made a fairly good defence of his companies product but the news team were quite aggressive toward him, quoting some research a few months back relating to microwave emissions harming children below a certain age.

Considering that all the research undertaken by the mobile phone operators show there is no evidence of harm ( incidentally, I am yet to be convinced of the quality of that research ) caused by mobile phones to individuals, I thought their hostility uncalled for. Children in the age group the phone is aimed at, are given phones by their parents, usually their old ones. These phones can be used to dial out and receive unsolicited calls etc., and are ten times more powerful in there radiation omission than the teddy phone.

Having said all that I can't see many occasions when four to six year olds would need to use this type of phone. It is pre-set by the parent and can only call numbers they key in. I tried to imagine a scenario where the phone would be useful and apart from the baby sitter dropping dead and blocking the door, the only other reason I could think of was one which the phone could be used for tracking a lost child.

It remains to be seen if they are successful in there attempt to market this phone.