cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free 2 Mbit Connection

N/A

Free 2 Mbit Connection

Hi, Has anyone with f9 had their free upgrade yet?
12 REPLIES
N/A

regrade yesterday

Hi
Yes it was scheduled for July but I got the upgrade finally yesterday. Not running at full 2mbit but my exchange is a bit overloaded with work scheduled for sept to fix that. I think its a case of sit and wait or pay the money.

L
Community Veteran

Free 2 Mbit Connection

Yep, I received my upgrade on Wednesday.
I didn't receive notification that it took place to my f9 e-mail address, but I did get notification to my 2ndary address.

So far I've not seen much difference in performance, downloads are still occuring at the same speed, but I put that down to traffic shaping or poor ftp servers, but I have seen my bandwidth monitor peek at over 800kBit/s

eg:

Device tun0 [xx.xx.xx.xxx] (1/1):
================================================================================
Incoming:

Curr: 276.98 kBit/s
Avg: 223.34 kBit/s
| . Min: 0.00 kBit/s
##.. . . . . ... |.# | | . Max: 874.83 kBit/s
| .####.|. #..#||###|#|##.#||###. | #####.#|..|#.### Ttl: 91.92 MByte
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
N/A

Free 2 Mbit Connection

I wouldn't expect to see much beyond 230-240kbit/sec, not even peak bursts - peak readings above 240(ish) (and up to your quote of 800kbit/sec) will be false predictions made by software that is not sampling correctly. This is nothing to do with traffic shaping.... if you can hit 240kb/s then you really are running at the most optimum speed you'll ever see with a 2mb connection.

This is based on what windows applications will indicate (which take the TCP/IP overheads into account). If those figures above are from your router/modem then they might be raw data rates which include the overheads, so will look faster than you're really getting.
deepfatfrier
Grafter

Free 2 Mbit Connection

glasstower, I think you mean 240 kBytes per second, he's talking about kBits (1/8 of the size, but I expect you know that Smiley)

dsmirc: firstly, what speed were you upgraded to? 800 kBits/sec is barely reasonable for 1Mb, let alone 2Mb...
Secondly... where can you get that program that makes those cool traffic graphs... Tongue
Community Veteran

Free 2 Mbit Connection

Hi Andy,
My speed was upgraded to 2Mb but I've not tried to load test it yet. Since I can see my exchange out of the window, I doubt there are many problems with the line.
(I can't actually tell what speed I'm at because my router is a FreeBSD machine with an alcatel usb modem)

My latest traffic graph shows it has now peaked at 1515 kBit/s so it probably is 2Mb.
The program I use is call nload, its a linux/bsd/solaris/etc console application from http://www.roland-riegel.de/nload/

Regards,
Andrew D Wiles
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Marteknet
Grafter

Free 2 Mbit Connection

I can only get 1M here despite the fact that there is another line into the house that is happily running at 2M, Both lines come from the same BT box that is located about 30mtr from the house. How crazy is that. And I expect there isn't much point in me looking forward to faster speeds in the future. Sad

Its another day now creeping along at only 1M Cry

I have just seen this posted on the internet at http://www.samknows.com/broadband/
'Be' breaks UK broadband speed record with an 18.5 Meg connection
Be, the UK's newest broadband provider, broke the speed record yesterday when their first customer, Stefan, connected to the Internet in Clerkenwell with a download speed of 18.5 meg.

"I didn't think it would make that much difference, but it's actually really excellent. After 20 minutes, I was utterly sold" said Stefan.

Be is one of the first Internet service providers in the UK to take advantage of ADSL2+ technology.

Be's 24 meg products give customers up to 24 meg downstream speed and up to 1 meg upstream speed, depending on their distance from the local exchange.

This should go some way to addressing people’s expectations of ADSL2+. That not everyone will get 24meg.
N/A

Free 2 Mbit Connection

glasstower, I think you mean 240 kBytes per second, he's talking about kBits (1/8 of the size, but I expect you know that Smiley)
Absolutely, yes, I just misread the units being used because I would never have expected to see the numbers as low as that for a 2M connection (i.e. averaging around 223).
N/A

Free 2 Mbit Connection

I can only get 1M here despite the fact that there is another line into the house that is happily running at 2M, Both lines come from the same BT box that is located about 30mtr from the house. How crazy is that.

Are the phisical cables of different ages? I've got two lines coming in here, one line is the original line installed 35 years ago when the house was built, the other line is a new one I installed 7 years ago and there is a noticable difference in quality. I'm happily running 2M on the newer line, I've never had ADSL installed on the old line because I know from experience that I always used to get poor quality analogue 56k modem connects via that line. i.e. In the analogue days I'd regularly get a 49k connect on the new line but only 38k on the old line.
deepfatfrier
Grafter

Free 2 Mbit Connection

glasstower: Yes, I was a little confused for a second too, lol.

dsmirc: Cheers for that link, it's happily graphing things on tty4 now! Wink
And lucky you for being able to see your exchange, I'm a little over 3km from mine, so I'm very happy to have stable 2Mb!

martek: Strange, that, but I think glasstower has the most likely solution, the age of the cables. And in response to the quote about Be, I saw that on Neowin (or was it /.), looks interesting if you live in London!
Marteknet
Grafter

Free 2 Mbit Connection

Are the phisical cables of different ages?

The answer to that is yes one is about 18 years old the other is a year old. But I am surprised if this is the cause because the cable run from the BT junction box is only about 30 yards long.
N/A

Free 2 Mbit Connection

Are the phisical cables of different ages?

The answer to that is yes one is about 18 years old the other is a year old. But I am surprised if this is the cause because the cable run from the BT junction box is only about 30 yards long.

Most people in urban/suburban areas have a junction box not too far from the house, (we have them underground rather than a green surface cabinet)... your distance to those boxes are irrelevant unless they are using equipment in the junction box to convert to optical fibers which I severely doubt. How far is it from the junction box to the actual telephone exchange building? (this is the distance that matters). If you don't know where it is there's a good chance it will be next door to your main postal sorting office. It could be that the cable route between the junction box and the exchange have been connected via cables of differing quaility/age. If this is the case then you might be able to convince BT to send out an engineer to re-patch your older line to a spare newer one beween the junction box and the exchange - it's not a big job for them unless there is no spare capacity from your junction box.

You'll not have any luck with any ADSL tech support teams, but it might be worth reporting it as a fault on 151 - I've had success in the past resolving line qulality issues by reporting it as a fault.
N/A

Free 2 Mbit Connection

I got my 2megabit upgrade on the 17th August and was getting download speeds of around 230kilobytes/s from most sites, a few were down around 180kilobytes/s, but I'm happy enough with that.

Then something odd happened. About 1 week later the download speeds in general dropped to between 60-90kilobytes/s, which is pretty bad for a 2 megabit connection. I contacted F9 about it and they advised that I try the official BT speed test page, which eliminates F9 from the equation. And guess what, the result came back as 750 kilobits/s.

Around the same time that I noticed this huge drop in performance a few of my friends who live in the same town (and are on the same DSLAM) got their free upgrade...

I just wonder is the problem with BT's equipment that can't handle that many users on 2mb?