cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flashing Power Light on Modem

N/A

Hi,

Why does the power light on my modem (model ED900) keep flashing, occassionally both the link/data and power light flash simultaneously, then both lights are sometimes constantly lit - what does all this flashing mean? .. My connection seems to be ok.

Regards,

Jon
2 REPLIES
N/A

Replying Re:Flashing Lights

Hi,

**I am assuming your talking about braodband here and not a dialup modem connection?!!

Although I am NOT familar with your specific model or make of modem, I use a Dlink DSL200 USB modem for my broadband connetivity. On my modem I have only two lights, the first just indicates the device is powered and is receiving a constant voltage (and should be constantly on), this only flickers when reset or on start-up.

**(both lights are in green on my modem)

The second light (data light) indicates that I have (also applies in your case too I would guess) a live data connection to the server at the F9's end of my connection. This is what connects you to the internet, being an almost always on technology the data light also shows that your connection is synchronised and that as such data can travel over this connection.

**Note: My longest duration of connectivity is now 28 days without a single dropped moment but it is also possible for a long standing connection such as this to become stale and then the connection looks OK but data nolonger can travel across the connection, this just requires a reset of the connection and is very common.

Hope this helps Ivan :-)
N/A

Thanks Ivan,

Yes I am referring to ADSL in my first posting. I remember reading somewhere on the site that a flashing light on the modem can mean that it is out of sync with the phone line? I've no idea what this means and just thougth that perhaps I wasn't getting the most from my connection due to this.

However I have tried the speed test and all seems to be well.

Thanks again

Jon