cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firewall software?

N/A

Firewall software?

Is Norton Firewall (part of Norton Internet Security) a decent firewall for my PC and ADSL i.e. robust, reliable, up to the job, or should I buy dedicated firewall software?

I'm using XP Pro.

Thx,
Mark
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Firewall software?

> Is Norton Firewall (part of Norton Internet Security) a decent firewall for my PC and ADSL i.e. robust, reliable, up to the job, or should I buy dedicated firewall software?
>
> I'm using XP Pro.
>
> Thx,
> Mark
>

> Is Norton Firewall (part of Norton Internet Security) a decent firewall for my PC and ADSL i.e. robust, reliable, up to the job, or should I buy dedicated firewall software?
>
> I'm using XP Pro.
>
> Thx,
> Mark
>
Hi Mark,
I am also using windowsXP Pro, first of all I have switched off Microsofts built in XP firewall I didn't like it at all,it was very cumbersome.

I dont recommend Nortons Firewall either, a friend of mine uses it but I dont think its very user friendly and its features are over the top and too complex for the normal user. It also uses packet filtering which I dont think is as good as ZoneAlarms stateful packet inspection method of firewalling.

If your on a braodband connection (or even if your not)then you need a firewall for sure. Otherwise its like walking around with your pants at half mast? i.e your vulnerable!!!.

Personally I can highly recommend ZoneLabs free personal firewall (free for personal use)see their website at http://www.zonelabs.com you can download
version 3.0 but I think version 2.6 was much better
and if you would like this version then let me know & I can send you a copy if you would like.

Best Regards
Ivan
ivan@cyteck.co.uk

--
N/A

> > Is Norton Firewall (part of Norton Internet Security) a decent firewall for my PC and ADSL i.e. robust, reliable, up to the job, or should I buy dedicated firewall software?
> >
> > I'm using XP Pro.
> >
> > Thx,
> > Mark
> >
> Hi Mark,
> I am also using windowsXP Pro, first of all I have switched off Microsofts built in XP firewall I didn't like it at all,it was very cumbersome.
>
> I dont recommend Nortons Firewall either, a friend of mine uses it but I dont think its very user friendly and its features are over the top and too complex for the normal user. It also uses packet filtering which I dont think is as good as ZoneAlarms stateful packet inspection method of firewalling.
>
> If your on a braodband connection (or even if your not)then you need a firewall for sure. Otherwise its like walking around with your pants at half mast? i.e your vulnerable!!!.
>
> Personally I can highly recommend ZoneLabs free personal firewall (free for personal use)see their website at http://www.zonelabs.com you can download
> version 3.0 but I think version 2.6 was much better
> and if you would like this version then let me know & I can send you a copy if you would like.
>
> Best Regards
> Ivan
> ivan@cyteck.co.uk
>
>
> --
>

Ivan,

Thanks for the helpful post - I'll go and check-out the zonelabs website now.

I signed-up for ADSL 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for BT to verify the line :-(

Regards,
Mark

N/A

I've got to agree Norton Firewall/Internet Security call it what you will is a major pain in the a**. I've got it installed on my home PC, as I got it bundled with Norton AV 2002 with some motherboards I bought, just you can't install them separate of each other when they come bundled. And it really is far too feature heavy and badly designed. You do wonder if anyone on the Firewall design team at Symantec has ever heard of HCI and usability engineering.

Take for example setting up a quick peer to peer network. I occasionally bring home a laptop from work, plug it into the spare CAT-5 port in my room and copy stuff over to my PC. Since I assign it a random IP when I bring it home, I have to go through god knows how many options to allow that IP address to access the other machine. And if I don't the intrusion detection system doesn't even flag up that the laptops tried to connect and that it's blocked it, so when I do forget to changed the allowed IP list, I have no idea why the laptop won't connect.

Zonealarm is so much better and much easier to configure for everything. I have it running at work on our ADSL proxy machine and I've never had any problems with it.
N/A

Hi Guys

I to used Zonelab 2.6 but hated 3.0 now use
Agnitum Outpost which is also free for single user the thing I like with it is that it will even tell you of a program change and ask you if you wish to allow it access to the net. I like it very much as it also stops adds loading which speeds page download

regards

terry

N/A

> Hi Guys
>
> I to used Zonelab 2.6 but hated 3.0 now use
> Agnitum Outpost which is also free for single user the thing I like with it is that it will even tell you of a program change and ask you if you wish to allow it access to the net. I like it very much as it also stops adds loading which speeds page download
>
> regards
>
> terry
>
>

I'd highly recommend ZoneAlarm (as stated above) It is a top notch piece of kit, in a word or two!
NOTHING get's through without your explicit permission!
And, it's free!!!

Note: Don't touch BlackIce Defender with a 10 foot barge pole. It simply doesn't work. At the best of times, it tells you what's going on, but doesn't do anything about it!

Hope this helps!
Liam