cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox less secure than IE

David_W
Rising Star

I did post a topic on another forum, that forum has a karma system where you get rated down if your not a sheep, I know I can get a much more intelligent debate and analasys of the situation here, among people with IQ greater than my shoe size Tongue

However, this isnt a troll of flame bait or anything!

Ok, a report by Symantec shows that in the first 6 months of 2005, the number of vulns and critical vuln percentage for vendor reported ones, was higher in FF than in IE.

I know a few people here use Linux (yay! I <3 suse), but there is a vuln that will alow compromise of Linux/Unix via Firefox.

So is FF really less secure than IE, will FF overtime improve its security, or will, as its popularity grows even more, there be an even higher percentage of critical vulnerabilities for the browser?

If you look back longer over the reports of vulns, IE does have a lot more, but the compensation for that is that FF is growing and growing, so as it grows its crit count will increase, so for the sake of this debate, only this current years statistics are taken into account.
3 REPLIES
N/A

Ok, a report by Symantec shows that in the first 6 months of 2005, the number of vulns and critical vuln percentage for vendor reported ones, was higher in FF than in IE.

True, but that's pretty meaningless as a comparision. IE has been around far longer and alot of exploits have already been found.

So is FF really less secure than IE, will FF overtime improve its security, or will, as its popularity grows even more, there be an even higher percentage of critical vulnerabilities for the browser?

If you look back longer over the reports of vulns, IE does have a lot more, but the compensation for that is that FF is growing and growing, so as it grows its crit count will increase, so for the sake of this debate, only this current years statistics are taken into account.

As it stands at the moment, Firefox is far more secure than IE. It doesn't have activex or allows HTML in the address bar for a start. I agree that as Firefox grows more popular the amount of vulnerabilites will increase, however the Mozilla team are alot quicker off the mark with patches and bugfixes than Microsoft.
N/A

Interesting points. I tend to use a mix of both IE and FF... so does that make me 'twice' as vinerable? :shock:

heh, sorry.

Will be interesting to see what happens when IE7 is used more with Vista.

I'm personally not sure which one is actually better. The more popular a piece of s/w is the more people are motivated to try and think of new ways destroy your PC through it - which is why there are more windows viruses than mac or linux, or it could be that windows is pants, or it could be that people that make these things just don't like windows. The truth is that its difficult to know.

Swings and roundabouts. The question is, should we definately be using one rather than the other? Security holes are plugged all the time....

A very neutral post here Cheesy
N/A

I use ff on linux - probably not the same, however, you will probably find its not the actual application which is vunerable, its the MS's API's which have direct access to the kernel through a web interface which is the problem (activex being the classic here)

If you are worried about it, disable all activex scripting - although this will not let you load some web content as it needs to access this api to load certain things.

I find it quite amusing when I goto websites through gentoo using konquerer and i get requests to load programs like freemp3.exe.vbs and downloadnow.exe and things like that. I try and install them all but i dont think they like linux.