cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File & Print Sharing using ADSL router+hub

N/A

File & Print Sharing using ADSL router+hub

I want to set up an ADSL router with combined network hub (D-Link's DSL-504) for use with my small network. On My network I have, at present, got file and printer sharing enabled, this has a binding to the TCP/IP protocol on my network adapter.
My question is, if I fit this router (which will assign itself an IP address on my network) how do I stop file and printer sharing being available to the internet/WAN device? As I don't really want to share my files and printers with the rest of the internet.
I hope I have explained this well enough and would be grateful if someone could provide an answer as I am reluctant to use the router until I can put this query to rest.
Force9 team are welcome to reply here too as my next step will be to make a ticket if I don't get any replies of use here.

Thank you for any help.
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: File & Print Sharing using ADSL router+hubREPLY

> I want to set up an ADSL router with combined network hub (D-Link's DSL-504) for use with my small network. On My network I have, at present, got file and printer sharing enabled, this has a binding to the TCP/IP protocol on my network adapter.
> My question is, if I fit this router (which will assign itself an IP address on my network) how do I stop file and printer sharing being available to the internet/WAN device? As I don't really want to share my files and printers with the rest of the internet.
> I hope I have explained this well enough and would be grateful if someone could provide an answer as I am reluctant to use the router until I can put this query to rest.
> Force9 team are welcome to reply here too as my next step will be to make a ticket if I don't get any replies of use here.
>
> Thank you for any help.

Hi,
Your router should sit between the public facing internet on one side & your internal Lan on the other side. My guess is that your need to assign a
fixed IP address to your router (and make this your default gateway)the hub needs to be placed inside or behined the router (think of your router as your networks boundary point!)Then once the hub is behined the router you should be able to enable file & print sharing to any device or network shares after this. NOTE:make sure that you use TCP/IP on the router but disable file & print sharing on the tcp/ip configuation (see same tab as where you are required to add the IP address).

This should give you what your after I think.

Best Regards
Ivan
ivan@cyteck.co.uk

--
N/A

RE: File & Print Sharing using ADSL router+hubREPLY 2

> I want to set up an ADSL router with combined network hub (D-Link's DSL-504) for use with my small network. On My network I have, at present, got file and printer sharing enabled, this has a binding to the TCP/IP protocol on my network adapter.
> My question is, if I fit this router (which will assign itself an IP address on my network) how do I stop file and printer sharing being available to the internet/WAN device? As I don't really want to share my files and printers with the rest of the internet.
> I hope I have explained this well enough and would be grateful if someone could provide an answer as I am reluctant to use the router until I can put this query to rest.
> Force9 team are welcome to reply here too as my next step will be to make a ticket if I don't get any replies of use here.
>
> Thank you for any help.

Hi Again,
I had not realised that the Router & Hub you wish to use are combined perhaps that's part of the problem? I know turning off file & print sharing would be very straight forwards if the router & hub were seperate devices. But if they are combined devices then that does present a more complex issue as far as I can see.

Regards
Ivan

--
N/A

RE: File & Print Sharing using ADSL router+hub

[list=1]
  • With NAT enabled on your DSL router, any incoming connection request will be blocked at the wan interface of the router.

• SMB/NetBIOS networking ("File and Print sharing") uses ports 137-139 for various services (as you will see from your /etc/services file -- under directory Windows\System32\drivers in win32 platforms). If you want to be absolutely certain of no mishaps, and your DSL router has a firewall, you can set it up to drop any packets for these ports in both incoming and outgoing directions.[/listShocked]