cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faxing over ADSL??

N/A

Faxing over ADSL??

Hello,
Can anyone help answer me the following question. Is it possible to send faxes via broadband (ADSL)? or is it that faxing still requires a modem and a dialable phone number?? I'd like to be able to fax from my windowsXP desktop using windows fax services (i.e. those built into the OS).

If faxing is possible over broadband then how??

Ivan
6 REPLIES
N/A

Faxing over ADSL??

Normal faxing is not possible over an ADSL connection, as a fax is basically a connection with you and the fax machine so a modem is needed.

There is software (cant remember what called) that can fax items to another person who has the same client running and is connected to the internet.

I will try and find out later what it is called.

Hope this helps.

Ash
N/A

Thanks for your reply

Hi Ash,

Your reply is pretty much what I had suspected, Yes! ADSL is great technology and Yes! great speeds can be had but one of the down sides is that Faxing seems relant on old modem based (hence dialing a phone number and it only works at about 33K) principals.

Yes! would be curious to know about the faxing software you mentioned that can run over broadband.

Finally wonder when faxing technologies will be updated to run over a variety of speeds including ADSL? I suspect it might be a long wait or perhaps it will be superceeded by something else.

My Thanks Ivan :roll:
N/A

Faxing over ADSL??

Ivan

Take a wander over to The Phone Company's Remote Printing Service at http://www.tpc.int/

The TPC service is a collection of FAX servers you may use to send a fax to many locations around the world.

Neil
N/A

Faxing over ADSL??

It's a good service, but like everything that's free, there is a small cost involved. I just sent myself a test fax containing 2 lines of text. It has taken two pages to be delivered because there is a huge advert for Demon at the bottom of the first page. Fair enough I suppose as Demon are providing the service in the UK but it looks like a recommendation from the sender. It's certainly worth using, even if just to send a test fax to your fax to email number to keep it alive.

Regards

Mark
N/A

Thanks for that!

Hi Mark,
Thanks for reminding about this service, I had forgotten that this exsists. But as I dont do a great deal of faxing its not a matter of great urgency, the question was more out of interest as so many people now have ADSL and I'm sure lots of people will eventually ask the same question as me or come to the same realisation that you cannot fax over ADSL (but can over the voice part of broadband but still requires a modem or fax machine i.e. it has to dail a number to work,etc).

Ivan
N/A

Faxing over ADSL??

One thing I just HAD to mention here:

You said maybe something on broadband will replace faxing, it seems you have missed the fact that something already has and in fact long before broadband.

One word: e-mail!

Or even forums, usenet, etc to some extent. ;-)