cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Favicon Help

N/A

Favicon Help

I am having real problems getting an icon to appear on the address bar and in favorites for a site I am working on.

I think I have done everything right - but being new to html I am not confident. I have been trawling through the results of a google search and there seems to be a consensus that IE (which i use) is not reliable at picking the Favicon up.

Please can someone check - www.nescient.co.uk - please tell me if you are getting an icon in your address bar. Also try adding the site to your favories/bookmarks and see if you get an icon there. It should be a little whirlwind like graphic not the standard IE symbol (or whatever)

Trying to stay sane!

Paul
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Favicon Help

Sorry, but I'm afraid it didn't work for me. Sad

Thomas
N/A

Favicon Help

No, doesn't work for me either. Check against the tutorial I wrote on how to do this to see if you did everything right.
N/A

Which domain?

I have a 16x16 icon - which I know works because I can add it manually to a favorite entry.

Next query, same subject!.....

I have an FTP domain: www.thelarkins.force9.co.uk

and a Frontpage space at: fp.thelarkins.f9.co.uk

Force9 refuse to point my domain name (www.nescient.co.uk) at my frontpage space, so I have to redirect people from my FTP space to my Frontpage space.

Where does the Favicon entry go? in the html script at my FTP space or at my FrontPage space? in both? which domain should it point to in the script(s)?

I think I have tried all combinations over about five hours today - but I cannot be sure that one of them didn't work because (as mentioned earlier) people on the internet seem to agree that IE is not reliable at picking the FavIcon up (even after clearing your favorites, your cache and rebooting).

I would like to feel confident that the script i use should (theoretically) work and then get someone else to confirm it is working for me.

All help appreciated!
N/A

Re: Which domain?

I have a 16x16 icon - which I know works because I can add it manually to a favorite entry.

Force9 refuse to point my domain name (www.nescient.co.uk) at my frontpage space, so I have to redirect people from my FTP space to my Frontpage space.

All help appreciated!

Hi thelarkins

I think i know what do you mean

if you mean that ur graphics address bar into Fave Lists to show wee pix on it

ok you have to go to your Frontpage - open - "index.html"

click html bar at bottom which show its say Normal , HTML , Preview.

under Tag

like this

<html>

<head>
<meta name="Name" content="Name">
<meta name="Name="Name">
<meta http-equiv="Name" content="Name">
<title>Welcome to <username>.force9.co.uk</title>
<link REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://www.<usename>.force9.co.uk/images/Any_Name_as_you_like.ico">
</head>

you need safe ico format from Favicon Software OR make 16x16 paint shop software and resize them then safe bmp format then go to windows explorer looking for Any_Name_as_you_like.bmp and now rename Any_Name_as_you_like.ico

Then upload to FTP place Htdocs / images - For Any_Name_as_you_like.ico
and upload index.html again - place Htdocs
that is it.

bear u mind if you want
<link REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://www.nescient.co.uk/images/Any_Name_as_you_like.ico">

or try to test it

<link REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://www.thelarkins.force9.co.uk/images/Any_Name_as_you_like.ico">

on your HMTL from Frontpage and save it then upload it

im sure you will be delights to see this and if not

come back and let me know

RabNeo
N/A

Favicon Help

That did the trick!

The thing that seemed to make it work was putting the icon file in a subfolder ('images' in my case). As soon as the icon was in the images folder and not in the root it started working.

Many thanks for your advice!
N/A

Favicon Help

that is great its worked for you

and no problem you are welcome Cheesy
N/A

Favicon Help

I have some questions about all this, which perhaps someone can answer:[list=1]
  • Where is this "standard" laid down?

I have a sneaking suspicion this is a de facto standard rather than a de jure one, in that I can see no reference to it in HTML specifications, such as that for HTML 4.01. In fact, where it lists the values available for the type attribute of the link element, "shortcut icon" is conspicuously absent. For that matter, so is the value "icon" which I see has also been coded on the original poster's website. Nothing wrong with that, as far as it goes, for the Specification goes on:
    Authors may wish to define additional link types not described in this specification. If they do so, they should use a profile to cite the conventions used to define the link types. Please see the profile attribute of the HEAD element for more details.

So, if you're going to use a non-standard link type attribute, by rights you should also have a "profile" attribute on your "head" element, giving it an outline as follows:

<head profile="http://something.or.other">

Anyway, this is beside the point -- what I really want to know is: where's the official documentation of this facility?

• Being, I suspect, a de facto facility, different browsers may have implemented this in different ways, or even not at all (yet still be a "standards-compliant" browser). The original poster referred to Internet Explorer, so I assume this is a Microsoft innovation. A quick test of a few browsers showed me that Konqueror implements something along these lines, but neither Galeon nor Mozilla do (at least in the versions I tried -- I saw a website that refers to both of these browsers in relation to this feature, so this could just be a version issue). I don't know about Opera.

It seems to me, in an ideal world, all browsers would render HTML identically, which, in fact, would make life much easier for website administrators. In the absence of that ideal we have standards so that the browser manufacturers can build products which operate to those standards and the website administrators can author their documents in accordance with the standards, in the hope of getting reasonably consistent results from the same input document regardless of which browser someone happens to be using. So, private innovations aren't really what the WWW or Internet are "about", as Tim Berners-Lee (Mr. WWW himself) points out in a quote on this site:

http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/

• How does this get "serialised" (if that's the right word) to disk? This follows on from the "different browsers" point -- different browsers will do it in different ways. Is the icon embedded into the bookmark in some way? (What, then, is done for bookmarks which haven't been customised in this way -- do all bookmarks incorporate space for an icon, with normal bookmarks simply replicating the browser's standard icon?) Or, in the bookmark, is there some sort of pointer to the icon which should be displayed? If so, where's the icon stored?

• As the client of this feature, how do I turn it off? Do I have to create bookmarks by hand if I don't want some site's icon? If I visit a website, I have the option of rejecting cookies from that website (configurable by me in my browser) -- the client is ultimately in control. But what about this feature? I may be happy to bookmark a site, but I don't necessarily want someone else's icon sitting on my hard disk, just as I might not want their cookie on my disk.

• How has the europa.eu.int site implemented this feature? I couldn't see a "link" element with a "rel" attribute set to "shortcut icon". So how have they achieved this?[/listShocked]
  • N/A

Favicon Help

I'll provide my own answer to question (5):

It seems, if your graphic is called "favicon.ico" and is placed in the root directory of the website, many browsers (including IE) will look for it automatically, so in this case a "link" element is not required. The link element is required if the graphic is not called favicon.ico and/or is not placed in the site's root directory.

It seems there was a security/privacy concern with this with IE, in that IE only looked for the "favicon.ico" file if someone attempted to bookmark the site. Therefore, a request for the favicon.ico file meant the site was being bookmarked and this information could be used to build up a list of the interests of a particular user. Other browsers requested the "favicon.ico" file regardless of whether the site was being bookmarked; I suspect IE now does the same.