cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FOL don't know the make of modem they provide to their custo

N/A

FOL don't know the make of modem they provide to their custo

After more than a week of frustrasion with Customer Support (taking longer than a day each time to get back to me), I decided to post this in the forum.

I signed up for the USB Adsl starter package. The modem is not performing as it should and they can't provide me with information about the brand or model, they selected, to be provided to their customers! They must have bought it somewhere.

Please read this response:

-10-02
11:27:08 Comment By: You Hello,
I recently upgraded to the ADSL USB starter kit. I received the modem and all works fine.
Unfortunately the USB ADSL modem seems to put a very high load on my PC's CPU utilization. I understand that this is a software modem and that it would use CPU resources, but it seems to high. My CPU is a AMD 533 K6-2 and I have 192Mb RAM and it becomes realy slow when connected, even my normal Windows 3dBox screensaver becomes jerky.
Is there not maybe an updated driver for this modem (I already have the one on your website)? Or can you possibly give me the manufacturers website address so that I can search for it?
Many thanks,
Adriaan van der Bank Open 2002-10-03
07:00:13 Comment By: You This ticket has now been escalated as a high priority Open 2002-10-03
13:21:06 Comment By: You By the way, I am using Windows 98. Open 2002-10-04
13:29:51 Comment By: Customer Support Centre Dear customer

Updated drivers for the hardware can be found on our wesbite in the customer support section:-
http://portal.free-online.net/supportpages.html?a=225

Regards,
Support Actioned 2002-10-04
13:49:47 Comment By: You Hello,
Thank you, but I know where the link is for the drivers. I downloaded the driver again now, but it still has not been updated. It is the same driver I am currently using and is dated from October 2001! I am sure there must be a newer driver available by now. Assigned 2002-10-05
07:00:09 Comment By: You This ticket has now been escalated as a high priority Assigned 2002-10-07
04:50:23 Comment By: CSC - High Priority Dear Customer
As far as we are aware, there are no new drivers available for this hardware and your operating system.
I have tried a google search and nothing more cam up then we have on the portal.
regards
support Actioned 2002-10-07
11:33:39 Comment By: You Hello,
Thank you for the help. I have also searched,but were unable to find drivers as I don't know the exact make of the USB modem. This is the USB adsl modem supplied by you with the Self Install USB modem package.

I know that it uses a conexant chipset, but would really like to know the exact make of this. I can't find this information on either the modem or the packaging.
Normally I can fix my own PC problems, but unfortuantely I can't do much without the model or manufacturer's name.
Many thanks,
Adriaan van der Bank Assigned 2002-10-08
00:45:10 Comment By: CSC - High Priority Dear Customer
We unfortunately no more about the make or model other then the information we have already provided. If we should get any new drivers, we will update the support pages on the portal withthis information.
Regards
Support Actioned 2002-10-08
09:08:54 Comment By: You Hello,
Free-Online provided me with the USB modem starter pack. Therefore the logical assumption is that you selected the specific type of modem to provide to your customers. I find it difficult to believe that you will provide your customers with hardware that was not tested and selected according to your standards.
Can you please try and find out the make and model. Otherwise we should work out a different arrangement regarding the hardware Free-Online provided.
Regards,
Adriaan van der Bank Assigned 2002-10-09
07:00:08 Comment By: You This ticket has now been escalated as a high priority Assigned 2002-10-10
11:17:43 Comment By: Customer Support Centre Dear customer

We do not know the make or model as the products are unbranded. They use Conexant chipset as you have said, that is all the information we can provide.

Regards,
Support Actioned
1 REPLY
N/A

RE: FOL don't know the make of modem they provide to their c

Yeah, you are right, they don't know what they are supplying, 'cos it comes from somewhere else. You get a package as determined by the supplier (no doubt at a discount to FOL) and this package cannot be changed for Love nor Money. (b......s) I only wanted an extra phone socket filter, which I was willing to pay for. (Answer - No! - too much trouble)

However, your problem is partially based on ignorance (or lack of info from the web) in that opting for a USB ADSL modem is not the wisest move.
All USB devices demand CPU usage to work, which increases the demand on the CPU, and slows the CPU down. A better option is to go for the "cheaper" PCI modem option which is only polled at the request of the bus, although this still places a workload overhead on your processor.
By adopting (by trial and error) a more severe regime of monitoring CPU usage, I have now got my system back to something close to the performance it had before installing ADSL.

Opting for the Router package may have bought me more CPU cycles but at what final cost?

Perhaps you may find the answer to this question elsewhere on various forums.