Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F9 and vista

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 46

F9 and vista

USB Modems not working under Windows Vista seems to be a common problem. I suspect this is because Vista uses the IPv6 protocol (by default) and the modem works only with IPv4. The solution may be to disable IPv6 on the Voyager modem connection as described at the following reference

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0506.mspx
Disabling IPv6
Unlike Windows XP, IPv6 in Windows Vista cannot be uninstalled. To disable IPv6 on a specific connection, you can do the following:

• In the Network Connections folder, obtain properties of the connection and clear the check box next to the Internet Protocol version 6 (TCP/IPv6) component in the list under This connection uses the following items. This method disables IPv6 on your LAN interfaces and connections, but does not disable IPv6 on tunnel interfaces or the IPv6 loopback interface.

The computer needs to be restarted after making this change.

I emphasise I have not tried this (I do not have access to Vista) and accept no responsility for any problems making the change might cause. Please ensure you have backed up your registry before making changes.

Hope this helps Smiley

David
David
4 REPLIES
N/A

F9 and vista

asked if f9 have got drivers so that the modem 105 can work with vista...this is there reply......The following comment was added to the Question
Dear Mr XXXXXXX
Unfortunately I don't believe there are drivers available as of yet for this, nor have I heard any plans from BT Voyager to release new ones.

I would advise looking into the possibility of using a router as opposed to a modem as these are not as problematic in the respect of drivers as modems are.

Regards,
Chris Parr

as i had many problems with a router i dont wont to use one...so wot next...forget about us modem users....great aint it.... Evil

if anyone knows of a driver for this modem please let me know....thanks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 46

BT Voyager 105 Modem

Sad Sorry this doesn't help solve your problem but the BT Voyager 105 Technical Support page:

http://www.voyager.bt.com/usb_modems/voyager_105/technical_support.htm

says

"Please note that this product is not Microsoft Windows Vista compatible".

I guess purchasing a broadband modem that has Vista compatible drivers is the only option if you don't want to use a router.

Regards

David
David
N/A

F9 and vista

Perhaps a better solution is to use a router.

It communicates using standard networking protocols, so will work fine with Vista.

The other benefit is the reduction of processor demand, USB modems require your computer to do the work to keep it running.

You should notice an increase in performance, expecially on an OS which is as processor hungry as Vista.
N/A

F9 and vista

Have just purchased a laptop running Vista and found that yes, my Voyager 105 modem doesn't work and will not work so I have had to pay for router. This is OK for me as I can now use the computer away from the desk. I had difficulty configuring it but was helped by one of the F9 staff and managed to get it going (thanks to Gareth). However, what are F9's plans about this? It is no good advertising free set-up if the equipment supplied is has compatibility issues.