cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F9 Hosting web sites

N/A

F9 Hosting web sites

Hi there. Narrs , how are you?

I've been browsing thru some of the discussions and it looks like I have completely overlooked some really good advice you gave me.

Am I right in saying that I can create THREE web sites on f9?

If so, is the comined space limited to 250mb or is it 250mb eac?

I've registered www.stereocatbabies.co.uk for £1 pm + vat. Do u know how much f9 charge for the other two?

It's just my son is doing a huge music project which I could include on the babies site but if a separate site is affordable we mighty go for that?

Cheers. Cheesy
3 REPLIES
N/A

F9 Hosting web sites

DougieC:

See the Products and Services page for Domains, which gives details of how many you can have hosted free of charge, and how much it costs to register domain names through Force9.

The standard residential accounts allow up to three domains to be hosted, but you have to pay for registration of the domain names. If you want more than three domains, you can pay £25+VAT (per year) for each additional domain, but again, the registration fee is separate.

Force9 is relatively expensive for registration, so if you want to make use of your extra two domains which may be hosted free, you may find it cheaper to look at other registration agents ("registrars"), which might be cheaper. One example (I've never used them) is 123-reg, which apparently, will allow you to register "uk" domains for £2.59 per year and "com" domains for £8.99 per year (with a minimum of two years paid up-front).

Having registered your domain name through a different registrar, you need to "transfer in" your domain to have it hosted on Force9, or more accurately "partially transfer in" your domain, which means you are billed for renewals of the registration by the registration agent, not by Force9, so you continue to pay the registration agent's fee, not Force9's fee. I believe 123-reg allows free "transferring out", so you won't incur any financial penalty even if you decide to move the whole thing elsewhere later on (you may have to pay the people you're transferring in to, though, typically for an additional year's registration).

The advantage of registering through Force9 is that everything is done for you: you have no "transferring" to worry about. Once done, though, that's it. It's up to you -- pay the money, and avoid the hassle, or make the saving, and transfer the domain (or host it on your registrar's system).

My understanding is the 250MB limit is for all the domains you have hosted, not for each. I'm sure there'll be a page somewhere which shows fees for additional space should it be needed.
N/A

F9 Hosting web sites

DougieC:

Force9 is relatively expensive for registration, so if you want to make use of your extra two domains which may be hosted free, you may find it cheaper to look at other registration agents ("registrars"), which might be cheaper. One example (I've never used them) is 123-reg, which apparently, will allow you to register "uk" domains for £2.59 per year and "com" domains for £8.99 per year (with a minimum of two years paid up-front).

I buy all my domains from 123 and I too have seen the promotions they do on them. However I have not managed to get one any cheaper than £6.09 each inc. For that though you get re-direction (mail and site), you are able to create limited meta tags and the web based mail includes spam filtering (if I remember correctly). If you buy from there, it is up and running in 24 hours and you can change the DNS records to point to F9.

Cheers

Mark
N/A

Re: F9 Hosting web sites

Hi there. Narrs , how are you?

Fine thanks dougiec! Hope you are.

Most of this has been answered by task (Steve) and didit (Mark), but I've added my own thoughts..

I've been browsing thru some of the discussions and it looks like I have completely overlooked some really good advice you gave me.

Thanks - just the benefit of hindsight!!
Am I right in saying that I can create THREE web sites on f9?

You can 'host' 3 domain names for free with a paying home/residential account, 5 for a business account and just 1 for 'free' / pay as you go accounts. You use your existing web space to 'host' a website for each domain. See F9's info on Domain Hosting.

If so, is the comined space limited to 250mb or is it 250mb each?

250mb in total - but I think you can buy more for a fee from F9.

I've registered www.stereocatbabies.co.uk for £1 pm + vat. Do u know how much f9 charge for the other two?

task and didit have answered this, but check this thread on Domain pricing. This shows that F9's prices are not, shall we say, the lowest!! task and didit mention 123-Reg which I would also suggest. The thread above suggests leaving the cheaper domain registrar with the IPSTAG but getting the name servers (DNS) pointed to F9 so that you don't have to pay the more expensive renewal fee.

It's just my son is doing a huge music project which I could include on the babies site but if a separate site is affordable we mighty go for that?

All the best with the project.

Neil