Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F0rce9 emails and Sygate Firewall

N/A

Hi

Does anyone use Sygate Firewall.

I have just signed up to force9 and am already pulling my hair out. I use Sygate personal firewall and avg antivirus. When I was with AOL I had no problem with emails etc.

Now that I use Outlook Express for my emails, I have a problem with sending and receiving. It appears that it is a conflict with Sygate firewall although sometimes I can send emails sometimes I can't.

I have looked into the "applications" in Sygate and nothing seems to be blocked. Outlook and Outlook Express are both taged as "allow"

When the problem occurs, I turn of the Firewall reboot and then I can send/receive emails. When I turn sygate back on, I still can send/receive emails for a while then not.

I keep getting the message come up that NT Kernel and System (NTOSKRNL.exe) has been blocked. Could this be something to do with it?

Any help would be appreciated. As helpful as Support seem to be, it would appear that they cannot help me get over this problem. I am begining to think it was a good idea to sign up for one moth at a time and not a full year!!

Regards

Chesjak
5 REPLIES
N/A

Does the Sygate Firewall provide a log of what it's blocked and why? If so, this should be the place to look to see what it's up to.

For SMTP you need your firewall to allow outgoing connection requests to TCP port 25 at relay.force9.net. For POP3, the firewall needs to allow outgoing connection requests to TCP port 110 at mail.force9.net, and for IMAP (if you use it) outgoing requests to TCP port 143 at imap.force9.net. And, obviously, once the connection's been established, it should allow traffic to pass in both directions over that connection.

Personally, I'd say if you did not have troubles with AOL, but do with Force9, this is more an indication of AOL's weirdness, not the other way round, and in all likelihood you'd experience the same or similar problems with other "normal" ISPs.
xpcomputers
Grafter

You might want to check the way that AVG scans your incoming emails. I think that it might intercept the Outlook Express traffic before it reaches the Firewall.

If this was the case, then AVG email scanner would be the application talking to Force9's servers on behalf of Outlook Express (not Outlook Express itself doing the talking). The firewall might then be blocking the AVG email scanner.

The easiest way to determine whether it is Sygate configuration or something else, would be to right click on the Sygate icon in the bottom right, and click on "Allow all". THIS IS A TEMPORARY TEST - BUT WILL LEAVE YOUR MACHINE VUNERABLE, SO IT IS IMPORTANT TO ONLY DO IT FOR A QUICK TEST, THEN RESET TO "NORMAL"

Then try connecting for your emails. NOW RE-ENBLE SYGATE - Right Click icon, click "Normal".

Depending on the results of the above test you will know if it is the firewall interupting something:-

a) If during the test you got your emails OK, then you know it is a firewall setting you need to adjust (maybe to allow the AVG email scanner access to net).

b) If you can't get your emails with the firewall temporarily disabled, then changing Firewall settings will not help you. You will need to check your Outlook Express and AVG settings.

Hope this helps

Mike
N/A

Windows Kernal

Hi Chesjak,

Just an additional comment really, the NT operating system kernal (NTOSKNL.exe) shouldnt ever require internet access as far as my knowldege goes. This file is the core or kernal of windows NT (its at the very heart of the windows OS) and runs a variety of internal windows OS & application process's & threads. It normally has no requirement for internet access at all. So this error message seems abit weird to me. But as others have said its more likely to be an application problem with anti virus scanning or your firewall.

Ivan
N/A

Sounds to me like something is masking the kernel file trying to get access to the internet. In Windows, you can do a netstat -o, which will give you all your applications and the tcp/udp ports its listening on. This will give you a good view of what is trying to access the internet and what is not, and also what is open just to listen on.

Best bet is to look in the error log file and see what traffic it is trying to send out. If you really want to jump in at the deep end, download ethereal and run a tcp dump on your network and see what is going on with the frames and network traffic.

There seem to be more little issues with windows recently, the new ati drivers for windows use an application called cmd.exe which trys to access the internet, a few friends tell me. My fix for this is to use gentoo with ipchains and set up secure vpn connections between all my workstations and servers Smiley bit extreme, but then I am paranoid Smiley

Not familiar with sygate really, I never was familiar or a fan with anything explorer.exe based within windows offering firewall security anyway. One thing is for sure though, make sure all your virus def files are up to date.
xpcomputers
Grafter

Having re-read the original post, it would appear that somehow I have picked up an old thread that has been dormant since Oct 04. Therefore I would guess that the OP has now solved his/her problem.

I guess these answers might help someone else though. If the OP is still reading this though, it would be nice to know how they sorted it all, assuming that they did months ago!

Sorry everyone,

Mike