cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extending a BT installed ADSL connection

N/A

Extending a BT installed ADSL connection

Here's the senario!

BT installed ADSL connection, there's a posh looking splitter installed as the actual main BT socket.

Im moving the study and need the computer in another room. The easiest way to extend it would be to plug something in the ADSL line and extend it through the loft (about 15-20 metres of cabling would be required).

Can I get away with buying an extension lead for ADSL lines (ADSL male connection to ADSL female connection).

Or do I need to take the BT installed socket out, replace it with a normal socket, and buy a splitter for both ends of the normal telephone extension lead?

Or is it a deal with BT job, I hope not because to be frank they're completely useless!

Thanks
Matt
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Extending a BT installed ADSL connection

> Im moving the study and need the computer in another room. The easiest way to extend it would be to plug something in the ADSL line and extend it through the loft (about 15-20 metres of cabling would be required).

I believe it's true to say that as long as the length of lead to the master socket is no more than 30m, then you're OK.
N/A

> > Im moving the study and need the computer in another room. The easiest way to extend it would be to plug something in the ADSL line and extend it through the loft (about 15-20 metres of cabling would be required).
>
> I believe it's true to say that as long as the length of lead to the master socket is no more than 30m, then you're OK.

So is there an ADSL specific extension lead I can use?
N/A

> > > Im moving the study and need the computer in another room. The easiest way to extend it would be to plug something in the ADSL line and extend it through the loft (about 15-20 metres of cabling would be required).
> >
> > I believe it's true to say that as long as the length of lead to the master socket is no more than 30m, then you're OK.
>
>
> So is there an ADSL specific extension lead I can use?
>

Are you using an ADSL modem or a router?
If you have a router, i would suggest leaving that near the socket and running network cable, virtually no loss of quality this way!
That's how i sorted the same probelm!
N/A

Hi,

I'm not aware of any ADSL specific extension leads, however a good quality standard phone line extension should be suitable for the purpose of extending the connection between the phone line and your ADSL equipment.

Regards,

Ian Wild
FOL Customer Support
N/A

> Hi,
>
> I'm not aware of any ADSL specific extension leads, however a good quality standard phone line extension should be suitable for the purpose of extending the connection between the phone line and your ADSL equipment.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ian Wild
> FOL Customer Support

Can I use a standard phone lead on a BT Installed ADSL connection as the Splitters already installed on the main socket?