cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Server 2000 to collect POP3

N/A

Exchange Server 2000 to collect POP3

Hello,

I've successfully set up Exchange Server 2000 to sent outgoing e-mail via SMTP (ok - I didn't do anything, it sort of works right out of the box).

My question is, can I configure Exchange server to go and collect mails sitting in a POP3 account somewhere else on the internet, ie like at pop3.yourmail.com etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Exchange Server 2000 to collect POP3

> Hello,
>
> I've successfully set up Exchange Server 2000 to sent outgoing e-mail via SMTP (ok - I didn't do anything, it sort of works right out of the box).
>
> My question is, can I configure Exchange server to go and collect mails sitting in a POP3 account somewhere else on the internet, ie like at pop3.yourmail.com etc.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards

Hi,
My training is with exchange server 5.5 but in essence I think the answer to your question is YES!.
One exchange server can talk to another if configured to do so. You could also think in terms of mail re-direction,that might be another possibility here. pop3 mail from xxx.server.com is re-directed to yyy.server.com.

Finally you need to be abit carefull not to confuse the server funtionality (the job it performs) with the functionality of an email client such as Outlook or Outlook express (they are designed to be clients of exchange server). Remember its a client/server relationship here that your working with.

--
stevecon
Grafter

> > Hello,
> >
> > I've successfully set up Exchange Server 2000 to sent outgoing e-mail via SMTP (ok - I didn't do anything, it sort of works right out of the box).
> >
> > My question is, can I configure Exchange server to go and collect mails sitting in a POP3 account somewhere else on the internet, ie like at pop3.yourmail.com etc.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Regards
>
> Hi,
> My training is with exchange server 5.5 but in essence I think the answer to your question is YES!.
> One exchange server can talk to another if configured to do so. You could also think in terms of mail re-direction,that might be another possibility here. pop3 mail from xxx.server.com is re-directed to yyy.server.com.
>
> Finally you need to be abit carefull not to confuse the server funtionality (the job it performs) with the functionality of an email client such as Outlook or Outlook express (they are designed to be clients of exchange server). Remember its a client/server relationship here that your working with.
>
Hi,

I too have only used Exchange 5.5, and contrary to Ivan's reply, there is no POP3 client functionality built in, except if you are using the Small Business Server version. I have used an external program called PopWeasel which pops the mail from the internet directly to the Exchange Server. This may also work for Exchange 2000.

HTH
Steve
N/A

> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I've successfully set up Exchange Server 2000 to sent outgoing e-mail via SMTP (ok - I didn't do anything, it sort of works right out of the box).
> > >
> > > My question is, can I configure Exchange server to go and collect mails sitting in a POP3 account somewhere else on the internet, ie like at pop3.yourmail.com etc.
> > >
> > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Regards
> >
> > Hi,
> > My training is with exchange server 5.5 but in essence I think the answer to your question is YES!.
> > One exchange server can talk to another if configured to do so. You could also think in terms of mail re-direction,that might be another possibility here. pop3 mail from xxx.server.com is re-directed to yyy.server.com.
> >
> > Finally you need to be abit carefull not to confuse the server funtionality (the job it performs) with the functionality of an email client such as Outlook or Outlook express (they are designed to be clients of exchange server). Remember its a client/server relationship here that your working with.
> >
> Hi,
>
> I too have only used Exchange 5.5, and contrary to Ivan's reply, there is no POP3 client functionality built in, except if you are using the Small Business Server version. I have used an external program called PopWeasel which pops the mail from the internet directly to the Exchange Server. This may also work for Exchange 2000.
>
> HTH
> Steve

Hi,
Actually I think Steve is right about the pop3 functionality in regard to exchange2000 server. I seem to remember other people being caute out bye exchange2000 server & this pop3 kind of issue, this is becuase Microsoft changed in a big way the whole focus of this version of exchange server believe it or not away from emailing and towards a sort of corporate flavoured messaging server. I also think that the new exchange server was designed to work with & integrate with Active directory & the LDAP protocol (and x400).I know this doesnt exactly solve your problem but its not irrelevant either though.

--