cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet card and jack question

N/A

Having bought my computer 4 years ago,I have neither an ethernet card or jack.
I intend to change my account from unmetered 56k to Broadband.
Do I just need to install an ADSL pci card and use an ethernet adaptor ?

Shockedops:
6 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Ethernet card and jack question

Do I just need to install an ADSL pci card and use an ethernet adaptor?

If you've decided on an ADSL PCI card, you will not need an Ethernet adaptor at all (unless you intend connecting your ADSL-equipped PC to other PCs). The ADSL PCI card has a socket for a lead with (probably) an RJ11 type plug enabling connection to the telephone socket.
N/A

Swings & Roundabouts!

Hi,

I would advise going for an external ADSL USB modem (leave the ADSL routers alone) this is what some kind person from F9 support advised me to do when I was upgrading my account. It turned out to be excellent advise that has stood the test of time.

I would especially recommend highly too you the D-Link DSL200 ADSL USB Modem its extremely good,very stable & extremely reliable.

*An external device means that you save yourself an internal PCI slot for something else and secondly internal cards draw power from the motherboard. Thirdly internal devices are often far harder to troubleshoot if things do go pear shaped.

I have been completely delighted with my DSL200 (http://www.dlink.co.uk)

Best Regards Ivan
N/A

Re: Swings & Roundabouts!

I would advise going for an external ADSL USB modem (leave the ADSL routers alone)

And I would advise the exact opposite! (Assuming, of course, that you haven't already decided on a PCI Modem.)

Using an ADSL router means you do need an Ethernet adaptor in your PC (unless you use one of those USB/Ethernet things). In my view, because Ethernet has been around for far longer than ADSL modems (and USB, for that matter), the drivers are more stable, the cards don't require loads of juice (some of the ADSL modems have problems with certain motherboards) and installation is much more painless.

An ADSL router such as the SpeedTouch 510 I have is effectively a consumer item, with Plug and Play installation on Windows - no need even to have configured your network card. Despite what the router-detractors say, with this router it is literally a case of connect it up and start the Windows install program on your PC; it will detect the router and prompt you for your user details (username.f9.co.uk) and password. With this installation method, both the router and the PC are configured appropriately by the installation program, and the process can be repeated on other PCs to configure them, if required.

Hardly a difficult process, and it really does annoy me that people misleadingly portray it as such!
N/A

I would agree with you, task. I have moaned in the past about certain people trying to put people off routers and networking in general - saying they are extremely complicated devices which should be left to the experts. Probably these people consider themselves to be experts in an elite group who should be the only ones allowed to use such equipment. Absolute rubbish! The manufacturers of networking products are increasingly aiming their ranges at the home user, so there's nothing at all which should stop someone trying out networking in the home.
N/A

Misconception Re: Routers

Hi,

I have to strongly disagree with bothe the previous contributors to this discussion. I worked as an IT professional and the devices you talk about are most recent home user products which is fine. No! I dont consider that routers should be the exclusive realm of so called experts but what does annoy me intensively is that you have probably never I would guess had to install a full blown professional business style router such as a Cisco router I'm affraid this is definately not simple and does require a great deal of knowledge.

No I dont want to put anyone off learning about networking or about routers either but I hate to see novice or computer beginners mislead into buying products that they are completely out of there own depth on. And then be frustrated,thwarted and angry because they cannot get the product/s to work as they expected. I personally have had to tell people on this portal/discussion board several times that the product they have purcahsed requires and experienced person to correctly configure, my advise on both those occations was appreciated very much (one can spend hours of wasted time getting no where if you dont know or understand what your up against.)

Both the previous contributors might already have far more experience than someone else who wants to get up and running with braodband at home or perhaps wants to build a home network. Dont forget not everyone might have your level of knowledege or experience. Thats what I am trying to consider here.

Ivan
N/A

I say go with a router. If you're only using it with one PC that's fine, it wont hurt. It also allows you to share the internet connection with a second, third, forth,etc. computer should you aquire one, all you need to do is buy a network card for each pc that will connect to the router. The tricky part here for a novice would be installing the network card, but for anyone that's added a graphics card or soundcard, etc. it'll be easy.

Also using a router saves having to use an annoying software routing program (such as Micosoft's Internet Connection Sharing). These can be as hard to configure as a router. They also don't offer the same level of security.
Plus with a router, you don't need to have any particular PC switched on in order to aces the internet from another one.

Routers may be a little more expensive, but I think better value in the long run.

However I do agree with cyteck on one point. But personally I think that anyone that can afford a cisco router for their home PC can afford to have someone set it up for them. If you can't afford £600+ for a home router then don't look at the cisco range.

As a lot of people here have said, a lot of compaines now aim their broadband routers at home users with little/no experience. I think cyteck admitted this himself. Just because you buy an ADSL router for your home PC does not mean you will have to set up a cisco router for a company, don't worry (might want to check the small print though, depending on where you buy it from, lol).

In summary;
Setting up a router for a number of PC's on a business network using a Cisco router, NOT for the novice.

Setting up a router to access the internet from one or more PCs using the NetGear, DLink,etc. Broadband routers aimed at home users, does NOT require an expert. Experience may be useful, or just a general understanding of network concepts, but it is probably possible for most people to do it without.

Well that's my 2 cents worth. I expect the next post will be cyteck disagreeing with me mentioning another big brand name business router as an example.

But to be fair to cyteck I'm sure he/she is only trying to help, and a USB ADSL modem may be cheaper, quicker and slightly easier to install. But I've made my preference clear (and it is just that, MY preference)