cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email delivery from different domains

N/A

I have three domains hosted on my F9 account. email sent to any of these domains ends up in my default mail (ie postmaster@username.force9.co.uk).
What I'd really like is to have seperate mail boxes for mail from the seperate domains(eg anything@domain2.co.uk goes to domain2@username.force9.co.uk), is this possible and if so how do I do it? :?

Thanks
John Smiley
3 REPLIES
N/A

What you want isn't possible with the present system, in which @username.force9.co.uk, @domain1, @domain2 and @domain3 have synonymous meanings.

So mail sent to fred@username.force9.co.uk will end up in exactly the same mailbox as mail sent to fred@domain<n>.

The only way I can think of for doing what you want is to run your own mail server, and have your mail (at least for the domains) directed there, where you can process it as you like. But that would involve a fair amount of work.

The easiest thing to do, though it's not exactly what you want, is to create mailboxes for each of your domains, <name1>, <name2>, <name3>, and then ask people to use those names when sending to you -- <name1>@domain1, <name2>@domain2, etc... Your default mailbox will then pick up all mail directed to @username.force9.co.uk, but also any mail addressed to the domains which did not use the <name> you specified.
N/A

Just picked up this thread - very nearly what I want to do, but can I just check.

If I transfer in a domain (say fred.co.uk) to be hosted by f9 on my account (username), then are you saying that e-mails sent to andrew@fred.co.uk will end up in andrew@username.force9.co.uk?

If so, then that's great! What do I need to do to activate this, or does it just 'happen' when I transfer in my domain?
N/A

Yes, that's right. If you create a mailbox called "andrew", then mail sent to andrew@fred.co.uk or to andrew@username.force9.co.uk will all end up in the "andrew" mailbox. If you don't have an "andrew" mailbox, it'll all end up in your default mailbox.

I don't have any domains hosted by Force9, so I can't say from experience, but as far as I'm aware this does happen as a component of the "transfer-in" process (or partial "transfer-in", if you do that instead of a full transfer-in).